Brotherhood of the Kilt - www.KiltsRock.com Dirk and Thistle Pewterworks PaddyRock Radio at www.paddyrock.com Scotweb

Photo

Scottish derogatory term?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 James MacMillan

James MacMillan

Jarhead Curmudgeon

• Brother for Life
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 11:00 AM

Just what derogatory term is used for those of Scottish decent?

Why do I want to know? Well, I have two good friends who I have overly led astray into the world of the kilt. They have a ball wearing the kilt, and I ensure that they do so respectfully. One is Jewish and the other is Hispanic.

We recently attended (kilted of course) a gathering and wanted some derogatory term to refer to us. This group of individuals, of which we are proud members is a very fun-loving, irreverent bunch of jokesters and for us, nothing is sacred. Nothing is out of bounds. The pranks that we have pulled are legend. We continually cut each other down while all the time lending support to each other (if that makes any sense at all?)

We wanted to come up with three terms that could be applied to three of us: For instance = The spic, the ###### and the ?????

Many derogatory terms came to our minds for their respective ethnic groups. Short googles reveal many choices. But for the Scottish? Nothing that rings true, or is sufficiently venomous or fits.

The things that I find include:

Jock
Schemie
Weegie
Big Mac
Porridge Wog
Caber Tosser
Haggistani
Cross Dresser
Mac
Thistle Arse
McNugget
Neanderthal
Pipe Blower
and maybe the best - N.E.D.

None of these terms were new to me, but none seemed to hold the same level of hate that the discovered terms for Jewish or Hispanic individuals. That seems strange to me.

As an ethnic faction, have we lost our identity sufficiently enough that no one hates us as a group? This in itself is disturbing.

Maybe we/I should refer to us as the Haggis-hunter, the Taco-bender and the Bagel-thrower?

Seems sort of tame to me, so I'm asking you guys...... Just what derogatory term is used for those of Scottish decent?

Jay

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

#2 Barley Bird

Barley Bird

Darth Corvus

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,337 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 11:12 AM

Goddamn limey bastard...

Applies to both English and Scots.

Manky Scot too.

This is a strange conversation. I predict that somebody is going to get their knickers in a knot over this one.

I am classified by social security as a Hispanic native American. I am also of Scots decent. If somebody wanted to say something derogatory, they could call me McBeaner. laugh.gif My wife's dad calls me a wetback. He doesn't seem to understand that a wetback is somebody that swam over to America. McSpic?

Oh, and no way of having this conversation with out mentioning this:
It's ****E being Scottish! We're the lowest of the low. The scum of the ###### Earth! The most wretched, miserable, servile, pathetic trash that was ever shat into civilization. Some hate the English. I don't. They're just wankers. We, on the other hand, are COLONIZED by wankers. Can't even find a decent culture to be colonized BY. We're ruled by effete ######. It's a ****E state of affairs to be in, Tommy, and ALL the fresh air in the world won't make any ###### difference!

Perhaps just being Scottish is enough?

#3 MacMoose

MacMoose

Kilt Apprentice

• Member of the Brotherhood
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 11:18 AM

QUOTE (James MacMillan @ Apr 13 2009, 01:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just what derogatory term is used for those of Scottish decent?

Why do I want to know? Well, I have two good friends who I have overly led astray into the world of the kilt. They have a ball wearing the kilt, and I ensure that they do so respectfully. One is Jewish and the other is Hispanic.

We recently attended (kilted of course) a gathering and wanted some derogatory term to refer to us. This group of individuals, of which we are proud members is a very fun-loving, irreverent bunch of jokesters and for us, nothing is sacred. Nothing is out of bounds. The pranks that we have pulled are legend. We continually cut each other down while all the time lending support to each other (if that makes any sense at all?)

We wanted to come up with three terms that could be applied to three of us: For instance = The spic, the ###### and the ?????

Many derogatory terms came to our minds for their respective ethnic groups. Short googles reveal many choices. But for the Scottish? Nothing that rings true, or is sufficiently venomous or fits.

The things that I find include:

Jock
Schemie
Weegie
Big Mac
Porridge Wog
Caber Tosser
Haggistani
Cross Dresser
Mac
Thistle Arse
McNugget
Neanderthal
Pipe Blower
and maybe the best - N.E.D.

None of these terms were new to me, but none seemed to hold the same level of hate that the discovered terms for Jewish or Hispanic individuals. That seems strange to me.

As an ethnic faction, have we lost our identity sufficiently enough that no one hates us as a group? This in itself is disturbing.

Maybe we/I should refer to us as the Haggis-hunter, the Taco-bender and the Bagel-thrower?

Seems sort of tame to me, so I'm asking you guys...... Just what derogatory term is used for those of Scottish decent?

I'd say the worst insult you could throw at a Scot would be "English".

I've heard NED and Teuchster...weegie for Glaswegians..

"The Highlanders would get a fright, if they saw me wearin' troosers"

#4 James MacMillan

James MacMillan

Jarhead Curmudgeon

• Brother for Life
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 11:23 AM

"This is a strange conversation. I predict that somebody is going to get their knickers in a knot over this one."

Sure, but we should be abler to handle it here - maybe not on the other site! That's it, I guess. I've always been a Scot... Scotty and Mac are common references, but not derogatory.

It is interesting to note that our curse word filter bleeped out the K word (bad term for one of Jewish descent) but leaves in G**D***.

Dread, that one I don't use for anyone.
Jay

#5 Barley Bird

Barley Bird

Darth Corvus

• Banned
  • 16,337 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 11:30 AM

QUOTE (James MacMillan @ Apr 13 2009, 01:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"This is a strange conversation. I predict that somebody is going to get their knickers in a knot over this one."

Sure, but we should be abler to handle it here - maybe not on the other site! That's it, I guess. I've always been a Scot... Scotty and Mac are common references, but not derogatory.

It is interesting to note that our curse word filter bleeped out the K word (bad term for one of Jewish descent) but leaves in G**D***.

Dread, that one I don't use for anyone.

No denying that it is derogatory. I too, avoid saying it outloud. I only mentioned it in an objective sense.

Blimey limey?

#6 James MacMillan

James MacMillan

Jarhead Curmudgeon

• Brother for Life
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 12:10 PM

If somebody called me a Limey, I would just think that they were mistaken and wrong. I don't consider myself as being of English stock. (Heck, I don't even speak English very well, and I'm a "Native" speaker....) laugh.gif

But try as I might, I'm still at a loss for a suitable term..... Maybe Neanderthal is the best that will come up?

I even sort-of like the term wog.... "I'm a computer wog." - - "I'm a kilt wog." "Oh, wog it !" I like the Elmer Fudd sound it has.
Jay

#7 Barley Bird

Barley Bird

Darth Corvus

• Banned
  • 16,337 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 12:21 PM

QUOTE (James MacMillan @ Apr 13 2009, 02:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If somebody called me a Limey, I would just think that they were mistaken and wrong. I don't consider myself as being of English stock. (Heck, I don't even speak English very well, and I'm a "Native" speaker....) laugh.gif

But try as I might, I'm still at a loss for a suitable term..... Maybe Neanderthal is the best that will come up?

I even sort-of like the term wog.... "I'm a computer wog." - - "I'm a kilt wog." "Oh, wog it !" I like the Elmer Fudd sound it has.

Both Scots and English sailors were called limeys.

Skirt wearin' nancy gits!

#8 Barley Bird

Barley Bird

Darth Corvus

• Banned
  • 16,337 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 12:23 PM

Oh, there is one word that is definately used to describe Scots that is a racial slur.

Gingers! If you re-arrange the letters you get n****rs, which is exactly why the English call the Scots that word.

If you want a fight, that is usually a good way to get one started.

#9 jpo

jpo

Kilt Apprentice

• Forum User
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 02:26 PM

I haven't fully fleshed out this idea here, so bear with me if it seems nonsense/ignorant.

I think it is harder to find slurs for nationalities/ethnicities that haven't been as involved other cultures affairs. As far as I can tell a unifying feature of Celtic (and related) ethnicities is a desire to be left alone to do what they will. As a result it is harder to find insults for us because we don't have the same history of pissing people off.

Anyone else find it odd that the slur for Hispanic's get through the word filter, but Jewish slur doesn't? Strange.

jim

#10 CWK Gary

CWK Gary

Celtic Warrior Kilts

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 02:40 PM

Spic is a valid word, like spic and span.
The other isn't and is used ONLY as a derogatory.

Huh, turns out spic is Romanian for ear too.

Celtic Warrior of the Brotherhood of the Kilt

Lilliputian MacStitch of Clan Ootland
Nos es Prosapia Nos es Amicitia
Have sporran strap, will travel...

BROTHERHOOD MEMBER #194

#11 Barley Bird

Barley Bird

Darth Corvus

• Banned
  • 16,337 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 02:43 PM

QUOTE (jpo @ Apr 13 2009, 04:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I haven't fully fleshed out this idea here, so bear with me if it seems nonsense/ignorant.

I think it is harder to find slurs for nationalities/ethnicities that haven't been as involved other cultures affairs. As far as I can tell a unifying feature of Celtic (and related) ethnicities is a desire to be left alone to do what they will. As a result it is harder to find insults for us because we don't have the same history of pissing people off.

Anyone else find it odd that the slur for Hispanic's get through the word filter, but Jewish slur doesn't? Strange.

jim

It is cool to hate on Hispanics but not the Jews here?

I dunno... But you had an interesting line of thought in your post.

I'm in your thread, making posts that lazy Americans don't want to post... OMGLOL.gif

#12 Barley Bird

Barley Bird

Darth Corvus

• Banned
  • 16,337 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 02:45 PM

Oh, that reminds me, I was mildly shocked by seeing that my spell checker accepted "wetback" as a viable word. No red line under it.

I lol'ed.

#13 James MacMillan

James MacMillan

Jarhead Curmudgeon

• Brother for Life
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 05:26 PM

QUOTE (jpo @ Apr 13 2009, 01:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

jim

If there is one thing that identifies the Scottish as a group is is the rugged independence exhibited by the Scottish. Is this what you mean?
Jay

#14 coinneach

coinneach

Kilted

• PipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 06:16 PM

I work with a guy from Dundee, I refer to him as a Albanach Amadon, He calls me a Mick Bas#$@D!
We get along well.
He was giving me guff about Irish rebels, I pointed out to him that if the Scots had any pride left, they'd remember that they were Celts and send the Brits packing!
The best lack all conviction, while the worst are filled with passionate intensity.

#15 Spartan

Spartan

Kilt Addicted

• Forum User
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 06:51 PM

In WWI, the Germans in the war called the Scots the devils in skirts. But I don't think that's what you are looking for. It's great that you can have that kind of camaraderie with your buddies.

#16 James MacMillan

James MacMillan

Jarhead Curmudgeon

• Brother for Life
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 08:29 PM

Regarding derogatory terms - being Scottish, a Marine and a Freemason, you would think that there might be a word that I would resent.

We Scots wear skirts, try to strangle air bags, eat and joke about Haggis, we even have wild haggis hunts - nothing of a derogatory nature seems to stick.

We Marines call each other worse terms than anyone outside the Corps could ever invent.

Of course we Freemasons are just the giant underground secret world government, so nobody knows enough to give us bad names.

You would think by now one of us would have come up with something. Repeated google searches lead me to believe that none exist.

So I guess my two buddies and I will have to be the fat guy, the skinny guy and the short guy.

By the way, in the photo below, That would be the fat guy on the left (me), an interloping friend, the skinny guy next (my Jewish buddy), and the short guy on the extreme right (my Mexican buddy). Someone has just asked us "the question" and three out of four are responding with visual answers.

Jay

#17 NeoDream

NeoDream

Kilt Fan

• Forum User
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 07:06 PM

You know sadly I can not for the life of me think of something that would fit either. Irish....potato digger, is about the best I can think of that has not been tossed out there. Maybe we should strive for world domination or something so that we can get some hate brewing and finally have a term for us!
Mac Hillbilly? Nope no ring to it. Red neck is taken and a lot of us are too pale for that one. McWhity? Eh... Oat Roller? Few would get that one. WOW this is a first...I can not for the life of me think of anything twisted enough for this. This is getting way to silly!
Let us not forget our past but let us also plunge into a brave new world. One that shows where we came from and where we are going!

#18 James MacMillan

James MacMillan

Jarhead Curmudgeon

• Brother for Life
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 08:31 PM

QUOTE (NeoDream @ Apr 25 2009, 06:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You know sadly I can not for the life of me think of something that would fit either. Irish....potato digger, is about the best I can think of that has not been tossed out there. Maybe we should strive for world domination or something so that we can get some hate brewing and finally have a term for us!
Mac Hillbilly? Nope no ring to it. Red neck is taken and a lot of us are too pale for that one. McWhity? Eh... Oat Roller? Few would get that one. WOW this is a first...I can not for the life of me think of anything twisted enough for this. This is getting way to silly!

Spooky isn't it?
Jay

#19 MarkWarnick

MarkWarnick

Kilt Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 12:53 AM

My wife who is fro London said that the quickest way to piss a Scottsman of in the UK is to call him "Scotch". She said they usually get pissed because that is what they drink, NOT what they are!
BotK Member #264

Cheif Hose Handler of Clan Ootland i.e. Fire Chief

Of the Warnock Clan from Scotland and Ireland

#20 NeoDream

NeoDream

Kilt Fan

• Forum User
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 01:26 PM

QUOTE (MarkWarnick @ Apr 25 2009, 11:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My wife who is fro London said that the quickest way to piss a Scottsman of in the UK is to call him "Scotch". She said they usually get pissed because that is what they drink, NOT what they are!

I could see that Ask an Asian about being called a rug!

It is spooky! Somehow we have missed the boat all togther with the name calling. Again we are not included! Still thining though and that is scary also. I have been known to be able to offened almost everybody at some time or other. Not even South Park has done anything on us that I can think of. What a waist of our history to not have left something for us to be offened by!
Now I have my mate thinking about this too. We have to find something. This is just too spicy to pass up!
Let us not forget our past but let us also plunge into a brave new world. One that shows where we came from and where we are going!

The "Brotherhood of the Kilt" logo is a registered trademark of SimpleSage, LLC, and may not be used without express written permission.
This website and all its contents © 2005-2012 SimpleSage, LLC and/or the original poster unless otherwise noted. All Rights Reserved.