All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Yesterday
  3. The Amadan

Newly kilted in florida

Welcome, from the south-central valley, of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania!
  4. Last week
  5. Paul K

From Utah

Welcome from Ohio
  6. Paul K

Kilted Chronicle 1: Taking The Plunge

Live YOUR life. You will be happier ,have better friends and be mor confident if you just be yourself and do what is right for you. Basically , em
  7. Paul K

Greetings

Welcome from OHIO
  8. KiltedYaksman

From Utah

poast cartoons
  9. KiltedYaksman

Newly kilted in florida

Good job. Must have felt nice!
  10. SirHaggis

Welcome and enjoy the difference. People judge. Always have and always will. There's nothing bad about it. We all do it so there is no point worrying about it. Most folks I meet while kilted say nothing or give compliments.
  11. macmanjim

People will always judge. Screw them. Humans put too much stock in what other's think. See this: https://www.rowancenterla.com/new-blog/2015/6/3/musterbation-the-danger-in-shoulding-all-over-the-place It's a disease that many suffer from. Be Strong, Put A Kilt On.
  12. Mcmurdo

Any Kilt Nights Out There?

You are more than welcome the next one will be Tuesday June 5th we meet at 8:00 at 963 Kingston Road at The Feathers Pub. Join the facebook group for all the information
  13. FJR1300

Greetings

Welcome from S.E. Wisconson
  14. Greetings. Why do we wear p@nt$? That is a question for which I have no answer. And that is why I decided to take the plunge. Of course, there were all the highlanders whom I knew in the Canadian army. Many were not Scottish, but were nonetheless proud to wear a kilt. The highlanders commanded the most attention on the parade square, every time. Of course a band full of pipes blaring at 120db each helps to get you noticed as well. However, I am not Scottish (gasp) nor have I ever been in a highland regiment (almost). Being Canadian, tartan patterns are nothing new to me. I can identify the tartan patterns of my province, the Maple Leaf national tartan, and even some of the more popular ones like Black Watch. But being familiar with and heavily influenced by Scottish-Canadian culture is not a sufficient reason for some random Canadian with no Scotch or Irish background to go galavanting in a kilt. So you still ask why. Let's dig a little deeper... Throughout my life, I have been quite active. In the outdoors and in the gym. Through all these activities, I've had to deal with the issue of discomfort caused by the seams of various p@nt$. When moving, the seam can be pulled tight, like a strangulation cord around your more sensitive areas. Then one day it hit me: Kilts don't have seams that lower your testosterone. Indeed, there were studies that found the wearing of kilts to be likely to produce higher levels of fertility in men. Of course, that could be due to the fact that many more women were now approaching them because they were wearing kilts! So I took the plunge. I have not yet worn any kilt. I ordered an entry level kilt that looked appropriate for some experimentation in the area of weight lifting. In particular, the deadlift and the squat. Right now I am in the extreme contemplation zone. The time between the moment of decision and the moment of action. On the day the kilt arrives, I will probably inspect it, make sure it fits, and then try to do my next work out with it. In this period of contemplation there are questions: Will this thing fit? Will I look foolish? Will the kilt live up to expectations? Even worse, what will happen to me when I put on the kilt? Will I become a different person? Will I be forever changed, converted to a kiltie? Or will I throw it down in disappointment? If you're interested, I'll be back next week with my answer.
  15. KiltedYaksman

Becoming kilted

Thanks, I saw that macmanjim but nothing in my size.
  16. macmanjim

I thought I replied to this, but I didn't: http://www.nope.com/forum/f180/
  17. macmanjim

Becoming kilted

UT Kilts has a clearance section I like to frequent. Good deals can be found. Welcome.
  18. macmanjim

Non Celt Kilt wearers

Depends where one is from. My dad's parents were from the Naples area in Italy. I doubt his mother had any celt in her as she was dark and swarthy and looked more middle eastern or Indian in some ways than European. His dad however, I suspect, had a celt in the woodpile. He was light skinned and they used to call him tony riley and tony irish. He had a slight red tint to his brown hair and had hazel eyes. His mom had red hair. So I suspect that there's a scot or irishman in there somewhere. Dad was in between. Not dark, but could tan, dark brown eyes and black hair. My mom had english, irish, scottish probably welsh, german and french. I look like an anglo version of my dad, but 8" taller. If you can believe it, he was 8" taller than his dad. Scottish folk in my mom's family had names of Anderson, Scott and Ely. The English are Deacon, Scripps and Grove to name a few. Irish was Coyne and Wilson, Welsh was Powell and Jones. What a mix. My wife is a Watt, which is a sept of Buchanan.
  19. Ian Cooper

Non Celt Kilt wearers

Hi folks, First post here. Great topic! If you have any European heritage, it's almost impossible not to have some Celtic ancestry. I read a scientific paper a couple of years back that proved, using genetics and mathematics, that every European living today must be descended from everyone who was alive in the 8th Century (and who had descendents who lived to the present). There's a good article here that boils it down: https://www.theguardian.com/science/commentisfree/2015/may/24/business-genetic-ancestry-charlemagne-adam-rutherford. That means that, if we have ancestors from anywhere in Europe, we're all descended from people who spoke Scots Gaelic - guaranteed. However, the original post asked whether we have any blood relation to "kilt-wearing" Celts. Clearly the question is not about ancient Celts, but about Scots who spoke Gaelic and wore the kilt, and that limits us to a blood relation to Highland Scots from about the 1500s on. I'd say the chances of that are almost 100% for anyone with any close ancestral connection to Scotland or the North of England - and there's probably more than a 50% chance for anyone who has any close ancestral ties to the British Isles. So I think a lot of folks here can switch their answer from "Unsure" to at least "Very Distant". As for me, I was born in the North of England, so I have lots of confirmed ancestors from the Scottish Borders, lots of Reiver family names, including Bell, Elliot, Armstrong, Dodd, Storey and Bates. But border families may not have spoken Gaelic or worn the kilt back then. I do have a tentative link to the Highland clan MacLeod: supposedly my 6x great grandmother was a MacLeod, but I'm not sure enough of it to say it's definite. I also have a definite link to a great grandmother with the Henderson surname, which is a clan name, though I can't be sure of any definite link to Clan Henderson. Still, I like the tartan, so I'm thinking of getting a kilt made up in the Henderson Reproduction tartan. But even if all these are false leads, given the fact that I was born where I was born, it's pretty certain mathematically that one or another of my genealogical lines must lead to a highlander who wore the kilt. I'm just not sure which one, or what clan.
  20. KiltedYaksman

Mcmurdo I'm in Toronto, looks like I'll have to be joining you soon. Mind if I pop in for a drink or two?
  21. TribalWolf

Tweakers

22. TribalWolf

Greetings

Welcome, from Oklahoma.
  23. TribalWolf

Becoming kilted

Congrats on Becoming kilted. Welcome, from Oklahoma.
  24. The Amadan

Tweakers

25. Jess

Tweakers

Tweaker jokes hilarious
  26. Earlier
  27. The Amadan

Greetings

Welcome, from the lush central valley, of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania!
  28. KiltedYaksman

Becoming kilted

After many years of mirin kilts and highland dress in general, I decided to take the plunge and get kilted. Ordered a utility kilt and parts from utkilts since they seemed like a good entry level. Looking forward to experiencing "the freedom" I keep hearing about.
  29. Mcmurdo

In Toronto we have been having a monthly kilt night the first Tuesday of every month for over 4 years now. We call it Tartan Tuesday, here are a couple of photos Facebook group is here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/699635400095883/?ref=bookmarks
  1. Load more activity