Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'cantle'.
Found 4 results
Hi All, it's been quite the busy week here. As some of you know I have a passion for sporran styles that are otherwise extinct, and brass cantle sporrans are probably my favorite. I just put the finishing touches on a new cantle style. Classic round top in a buttery-soft oxblood leather with brass studded targe. With a matching strap Front Detail of the cantle Hopefully somewhere in the next two or three cantles I'll get to do one of the trick latches where at least one other action is required before the piece can be opened. I've got two alternate designs worked up, both based on original mechanisms. As always, constructive commentary is most welcome.
This one just rolled off my bench and is on it's way to the other side of the world. The cantle is based on a C 1750-1800 cantle I was asked to restore. I had to both straighten some previous damage as well as craft a few bag. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.332109966835099.71365.161816873864410&type=3 The original was cast bronze (which is how it was possible to get such a deeply cut design). The new version is built up of silver soldered sheet brass and an oil and wax finished tooled cowhide bag.
artificer posted a topic in Blades and other metalworksAs many of you may be aware, finding functional brass cantles is a challenging task, to say the very least. Apart from a few antique ones that occasionally come up for sale on eBay (and go for a MINT) the only option out there was to find an ex-MoD cantle from the 1950s-60's and make a new bag for it. Even these cantles are now running several hundred dollars on auction sites. Last year I started working on the idea of having a run of cantles cast, and got all the way through the first test pour before things didn't work out with my smith & foundry. I didn't let that little setback defeat me too much. I'm now building the cantles the more commonly seen way. This one was commissioned to resemble an antique piece I had done some restoration work on. Cut Brazed First polish I had to buff out a few tooling marks, and am currently working my way up to +2000g polishing compound. The turnings for the hinges and the top knob should be arriving today at which point I'll cut the threads for and assemble the spring-latch that keeps the mouth closed. Next up on my list will probably be the half-octagon on the right (below) As always constructive commentary or critique is welcome.