Sign in to follow this  
sydnie7

New Black Denim for BigDad1

Dark forces are afoot, with both BBird and I working on black kilts. This one's a jeans-height version in denim for Bob, aka BigDad1, and should be available for viewing at the Queen Mary Games this weekend. I work from the rear center outward, so here's the first portion of pleats sewn. Messy, as I had to keep pushing the cat out of the picture!

DSCN1387.jpg

More as it comes along.

Dark forces are afoot, with both BBird and I working on black kilts. This one's a jeans-height version in denim for Bob, aka BigDad1, and should be available for viewing at the Queen Mary Games this weekend. I work from the rear center outward, so here's the first portion of pleats sewn. Messy, as I had to keep pushing the cat out of the picture!

Oh, black denim - I want to see more.

Quote - I like cats too. Let's exchange recipes. - Unquote

Pleats sewn inside and out (24 in all), 6 belt loops in place, ready to pin on the waistband and subject my machine to double digits of denim! I think so far it has handled 12 layers. . . wouldn't want to do that all day, but it managed small stretches quite nicely.

DSCN1388.jpg

Pleats sewn inside and out (24 in all), 6 belt loops in place, ready to pin on the waistband and subject my machine to double digits of denim! I think so far it has handled 12 layers. . . wouldn't want to do that all day, but it managed small stretches quite nicely.

DSCN1388.jpg

My Babylock has a 1.2 amp motor... It'll chew through 12 layers of thick stuff with out to much trouble... I thought you had an industrial machine? Just roll over the seams slow and hope and pray for good results. :lol:

By the way, it looks great.

It's sewn everything I have thrown at it so far -- I don't expect any problems. I've been sewing for *cough* 4 decades now. . . know all about taking it slow over the rough stuff!

And thanks, I think it looks great too! Going to call it quits for the night, sewing on black material is a job for the daytime.

I know what you mean, staring at black cloth gives me terrible eye strain, even in daylight. You look up, like at the wall or something, and you see a big black spot.

Done! Two pockets in place, final kilt inspector check in progress :D and it's into the wash for chalk removal. We'll pre-flight it tonight (with pictures, if he'll allow it) and should be on display Saturday at the Queen Mary Games.

DSCN1396.jpg

Thanks! I do think those 21st Century Kilt pin-stripe suits are fabulous -- but hardly what my guy needs. I'm hoping to generate some orders at the Games -- if not, I'm going to haul out one of the tartans from the "to do" pile and get back to matching stripes. There are some lovely ones in progress over on XMTS right now, have me thinking about sett vs. stripe, box vs. knife. . . unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately!) I also have a bunch of "paying work" nudging me away from kilting. . . where'd I put that winning lottery ticket again??

Hey Sydnie - this may be a dumb question, but there seems to be a horizontal line in some of the flix - Is that a chalk mark? -or is there some horizontal stitching?

Either way, I hope to see and touch the real thing tomorrow and possibly find out for myself.

Hey Sydnie - this may be a dumb question, but there seems to be a horizontal line in some of the flix - Is that a chalk mark? -or is there some horizontal stitching?

Either way, I hope to see and touch the real thing tomorrow and possibly find out for myself.

You are seeing the chalk line for fell, which has since been washed out. You'll see the real thing tomorrow, as for touching. . . that's up to Bob! :rolleyes:

Interesting. I see that Barley Bilt is drawing on the material with chalk, and you are too. Do you use a framing square as well? Where did this idea come from? I've never seen it before.

Edited by Eol

Interesting. I see that Barley Bilt is drawing on the material with chalk, and you are too. Do you use a framing square as well? Where did this idea come from? I've never seen it before.

I'm using regular tailor's chalk, which is nothing new.

You'll find a variety of techniques for making casual kilts all over the Internet -- one of the more popular versions can be found here. Note that early links in that thread no longer work, but there are updated links throughout (see post 195 for instance).

Can't answer for BBird, but I started off making non-tartan kilts in traditional knife-pleat fashion and have evolved to the Reverse Kinguisse over the course of a few years making them. I've collected ideas from all over, tried many and incorporated the ones that I liked or worked well.

Hope that helps!