James MacMillan

Advice from an old kiltie....

Great read! Great advice! Thank you much!!! :)

James, I read your "kiltie advice" I'm fresh and new to the kilt world I will have my 1st casual kilt kit from USAK in in a few weeks, I just found out about Stillwater kilts and from the reviews I'd say the stillwater kilts would be a good buy for a poor college student like me :rolleyes:

Great information, for a newbie like me, this advice is worth it's worth in gold!

Edited by WV7159

Useful advice with no condescending tone, one of many reasons that I love this site.......

Aho Brothers! I am new to the site. I am looking to purchase my first kilt but am unsure of the colors or type of tartan I should choose, any suggestions? Last name is Thompson. Great site!

Aho Brothers! I am new to the site. I am looking to purchase my first kilt but am unsure of the colors or type of tartan I should choose, any suggestions? Last name is Thompson. Great site!

two biggest questions:

1. how much do you want to spend ?

2. do you want modern or tartan?

Buddy, go to sportkilt.com ... just get their run of the mill tartan kilt, no bells and whistles. It's the best and easiest to wear kilt for the money, a great first kilt. I don't know if they have the Thompson tartan, but you can wear any tartan anyway, as long as you know whose it is and you don't disrespect it somehow. You can also google 'tartan finder' and find out all the family tartans associated with Thompson. Sportkilt also has many unaffiliated tartans as well as military tartans (Army, Navy and the like).

You'll enjoy your first kilt, Brother, go for it.

Kilt ON!

Sportkilt also has many unaffiliated tartans as well as military tartans (Army, Navy and the like).

You'll enjoy your first kilt, Brother, go for it.

Kilt ON!

Just a caveat their Air Force tartan is not the correct tartan, not disrespecting them but just being informative.

There has been a number of threads on this, I believe from memory this is the Edzell tartan,

Here is the unofficial, but accepted AF tartan, http://www.tartanregister.gov.uk/tartanDetails.aspx?ref=4180

Thanks for the great and informative post Jay. Very helpful

Thompson is a name associated with Clan MacTavish. (MacTavish in Gaelic is directly translated to Thompson in English.) So you have several MacTavish tartans to choose from, as well as several Thompson tartans too. USA Kilts currently has Casual kilts in Thompson Camel and Thompson Grey - both very nice-looking tartans. There are also many beautiful tartans out there not associated with a specific clan from which to choose, many of them in inexpensive PV (poly-viscose), i.e. Scottish National, American Heritage, Holyrood and the ubiquitious Black Watch and Royal Stewart and many, many more.

Just a caveat their Air Force tartan is not the correct tartan, not disrespecting them but just being informative.

There has been a number of threads on this, I believe from memory this is the Edzell tartan,

Here is the unofficial, but accepted AF tartan, http://www.tartanreg...s.aspx?ref=4180

I think the Edzell is supposed to be the Navy tartan. Dog-butt ugly IMO, but I guess some people like it.

Nice article well written. Now if there was just as well

of an article on kilting for women that would be fabulous.

Well, Paxton, the shorter the better pretty much sums that up. LOL! :)

Your guiding light should be the KISS principle: keep it simple stupid. Don't be a spectacle.

A "spectacle" at the Games is someone layered in swords, knives, feather bonnet, wearing a medal or two (awarded for whiskey tasting).

A "spectacle" is someone trying (dying) to impress.

In short, keep your dress simple and smart.

Be conservative. Don't stand out.

Honor your heritage.

Edited by Irishpiper

This is great information, thanks again for this post. I was pleased to read your suggestion of USA kilts as I have ordered my first kilt from them and it should be here soon!

Yes - I'm still alive.  I just re-read what I wrote those many years ago, and I'm suprised that most all of it still fits.

Question, should I do a re-write?

--Jay--

• Thanks 2

I think it's all still valid.  Unless any of the companies listed are no longer around, I don't see a need to rewrite it.  Unless of course you are really wanting to do another write up. 

• Thanks 2

I originally ordered armor from Anovos, but cancelled after numerous shipping delaysthe thypical Anovos story. I am wondering what armor troopers are using here in the MWG.
I am looking at RS Prop Masters. Are there others that garrison members would recommend?

Any advice would be very much appreciated
Thank you in advance