Sign in to follow this  
sydnie7

Knoobie Knitting

I have never before in my life tried to knit. Let me make this clear right up front.

So, why not try a pair of kilt hose as my very first project? HAH! Never call me faint of heart. . .

I'm using a pattern from the YahooGroups "kilt hose knit-along" but rather than have her ship somewhat expensive yarn from Scotland for my first project, I found some less expensive stuff here. Then decided it was too thin, so ended up at a local yarn shop buying somewhat more expensive stuff. All so I could fumble around, tie knots in it, start and unravel and restart.

I'm knitting both hose at once, that is, working two sets of needles. I make a chunk of the pattern on one, then repeat that chunk on the other. So far I am down to where the "garter" starts on one (cuff pattern completed), and beginning the cuff pattern on the second. There are lots of bobbles along the way, but at this point I am going to call them "charmingly imperfect" and forge ahead.

I'll update my progress as it goes. . . don't check back too often. . .

[Let me reiterate -- my mother will custom knit the hose that are offered for sale in another post. She is using a different pattern, and has knitted for decades. Pictured below are NOT my mother's hose!]

DSCN1563.jpg

I always thought that hose were knit from the bottom up... Learn something new every day. Neat!

From my vast storehouse of knitting knowledge, I can attest that there are at least two types of sock patterns -- toe up, and toe down. These happen to be knit toe down.

There could be a third type, I suppose (knit 'em flat and sew them up? The original tube socks!) but you just ran into the back wall of my vast storehouse :o)

From my vast storehouse of knitting knowledge, I can attest that there are at least two types of sock patterns -- toe up, and toe down. These happen to be knit toe down.

There could be a third type, I suppose (knit 'em flat and sew them up? The original tube socks!) but you just ran into the back wall of my vast storehouse :o)

Let's see - One way: Top down; Another way: Bottom up; Still another way: Side to side. OK, got it!

Just for the sake of discussion - - - - Does anyone know of anybody who makes cadadh anymore??? Short googles haven't found anything yet.

Let's see - One way: Top down; Another way: Bottom up; Still another way: Side to side. OK, got it!

Just for the sake of discussion - - - - Does anyone know of anybody who makes cadadh anymore??? Short googles haven't found anything yet.

There's supposedly a pattern available (I've seen the discussion "over there," just haven't followed up from lack of interest). Comment was made that anybody with a bit of sewing skill could use the pattern. If you don't need them immediately, I'd be willing to give it a go.

There's supposedly a pattern available (I've seen the discussion "over there," just haven't followed up from lack of interest). Comment was made that anybody with a bit of sewing skill could use the pattern. If you don't need them immediately, I'd be willing to give it a go.

I opened up another thread - so I'm going to move this over there.

sydnie, there is indeed a third sort... Tradtional argyle sockareknitted in the flat and then sewn up, this is neccessary because of the 3 0r 4 colours and it's not really practicaltocarry all those colours in the sock... so you were right!!

All right! Time to add on to the vast storehouse!

Edited by sydnie7

Finished the second cuff and a few rounds into the "garter" area. I'll pay for saying this, but I think I'm starting to get the hang of it :D

DSCN1582.jpg

And magically they are done! Well, no magic about it, just limited time, but here they finally be in all their flawed glory. Walk faster, Bob, walk faster!

DSCN1648.jpg

DSCN1647.jpg

DSCN1649.jpg

Look pretty good to me!! I love grey too!!

Sad thing is ( my wife knits too), I really don't think you can get out of them ( as far as $) as you put in, they would be way expensive. If you charged $21-$25 an hour that is...

Congratulations! Those hose look great. My wife knits socks, and she says "No way" is she going to knit hose for my long legs. Hey, they aren't that long! Keep up the good work.

Thank you all! They do look much better in the pictures than when I am inspecting them through reading glasses :o)

As for "getting money's worth" -- oh no, the intrinsic value has to do. That's been discussed at length on other boards. I shudder to think of the cost had I booked my normal, other business freelance rate for the time I spent on these! But, like a hand-sewn kilt, they have value beyond the everyday time and materials equation.

those look fantastic!