werewolves

Project X / Goth Kilt

Got a package that I have been expecting in the mail today. I was very excited to see the Needle Pimp logo on the box! I agreed (OK begged) to be the Guinea pig for an experimental "Goth" kilt project, and I am excited to announce that I have it in my hot little hands.

Please keep in mind that this was a highly experimental project and I was only charged for materials.

As you will see below, the kilt is made from a heavy cotton duck. The material is very soft and enjoyable to wear. Each pleat has a zipper running down the edge, coming together in a working zipper at the back middle.

The zippers make the pleats very hard to mess up, but they also tend to make them a little wavy.

Also keep in mind that these shots are of the un-washed kilt right out of the shipping box (possibly why the zippers are wavy...).

Here is the front view. Notice the line of grommets down the right apron edge. Rather than a traditional buckle, the snap-hooks connect to the grommets. Each strap (the top one has been removed so I can wear my belt) is adjustable by velcro.

IMG_1160.jpg

Here is the back. You can really see the zippers now, and the working zipper pull in the middle.

IMG_1161.jpg

The pockets are reversible, with buckles on one side and d-rings on the other

IMG_1165.jpg

IMG_1163.jpg

Finally, the obligatory pleat shot. Aren't those zippers mean looking?

IMG_1167.jpg

I couldn't wait to wear the sucker, so I wore it out to happy hour with some friends. Believe it or not it is very comfortable to sit in, you don't feel the zippers much through the heavy (and soft) cotton.

I was also thinking that with all of those teeth, this model of kilt should be called "The Werewolf", but maybe I am biased ;)

Opinions?

Wow, that looks really cool :)

Dude, That's an awful lot of zippers, But seriously. That is an awesome looking kilt...

Wicked man!! The Pit is calling bro!!

That is so bada$$!

Very kewl!!

Some construction shots

2223794340102627370S500x500Q85.jpg

2530692950102627370S500x500Q85.jpg

2990810160102627370S500x500Q85.jpg

This shot shows the zipper pull in the middle back is functional. Just don't pull it completyly off. If you do, no big deal it can slide back on. My pinky shows where the fell ends.

2411077090102627370S500x500Q85.jpg

Belt loops are 3" and each one has either a Metal D ring or a plastic version (One over each cargo pocket)

2646596540102627370S500x500Q85.jpg

W/O cargo pockets

2211531450102627370S500x500Q85.jpg

2233480920102627370S500x500Q85.jpg

What the interior looks like

2113485020102627370S500x500Q85.jpg

What a work of ART. I would becarful walking by any magnets :lol: .

ok now i'm pissed that i didnt have the cash at the time to be the ginea pig. BUT i call dibbs on Goth kilt #2.

and BTW i think werewolf would be a kick-awesome name for this kilt.

This shows off the removable snap hook and how they are adjustable

2958753160102627370S500x500Q85.jpg

Open it up and you'll see the 4"x3/4" velcro that holds the strap. You can then just slide off the snap hook if need be.

2086842990102627370S500x500Q85.jpg

This is what it looks like with a standard 2 1/4" kilt belt on.

2157973740102627370S500x500Q85.jpg

Still need to install the grommets but REALLY like the look!

2176110570102627370S500x500Q85.jpg[/

This Kilt just ruined the Kilt sheep Joke. Now the sheep can hear you coming.

Wow. Goth isn't my subculture of choice, but this thing is vicious. The zippers are awesome, and that strap closure thing is inspired.

jim

It really is pretty sharp looking

It would look wicked-awesome at a Dropkick Murphy's concert!

Glad every one approves.

I washed the fabric twice before construction to get it nice and soft. The chalk marks can be rubbed out.

The inspiration came from the post BB made about the kid who wanted a more "Industrial" looking kilt with "Zippers everywhere." I tried to think where they would go and the pleat edge just seemed logical. That said, the center back where they meet would be the perfect place for a zipper pull to go. This was left functional (originaly I was gonna pin it in place) as a distractionary device. Instead of folks trying to lift the kilt they will instead be drawn to the pull and actually pull it down rather than up. That's the theory anyway.

The grommet thing came from the need for the snap hooks to anchor into something. When I bought a pack of 10, I thought, "Hey, what if they go all the way down?" I played with the design and found a secondary use. The weight acts as a kilt pin!

I will definetly be calling this design "The Werewolf". I think the next one will be red thread!

That's a really wicked design, JT. I predict that it's going to be copied very quickly.

Regards,

Rex.

That's a really wicked design, JT. I predict that it's going to be copied very quickly.

Regards,

Rex.

You heard something?

:unsure:

I have an idea for a box pleated version as well. Essentially, all the zippers will be functional from the fell down so the wearer can "close the pleats" for when seated or for a woman, double as a non pleated skirt. Then, they can open it up to reveal the inner pleats (Maybe a contrasting color? [ looks at Gary]?) without worrying about crushing the pleat edges. Might even get away with resecing the zipper (nylon coil type) for a more "hidden feature."

Very cool indeed! Now I'd just be worried about someone trying to see if that back zipper is functional or not. (nightmares about hospital gowns) <shudders>

i think the grommets are my favorite part.

I was very happy how they ended up looking. Might make those an option.

i wouldnt be totally against even a wool tartan kilt with those.

I was very happy how they ended up looking. Might make those an option.

I'm not so hot about the zippers all the way around, but the grommet idea... I like that! biggthumpup.gif

Edited by Iolaus