Sign in to follow this  
CactusJack

Battle of Culloden

My Scots ancestors came over before Culloden, but it is still a sad and solemn sight.

The Kilmarnock Clan are actually some of my ancestors. They split of from the Graham Clan and later became McGilvernock (and a few others). Somewhere along the way it became Warnock, then Warnick when my great-grandfather (x7) came to the United States and fought with George Washington. Thank you Jack, my brother, for those links, ... Mark

Culloden is a forlorn & desolate place and the saddest battlefield I've ever visited.

It just seems heartsick, if not outright despondent.

ClanDonaldMarker.jpg

Culloden is a forlorn & desolate place and the saddest battlefield I've ever visited.

It just seems heartsick, if not outright despondent.

JS Sanders is right in what he say's, Culloden has a solemn air about the place, one walks there and feels the presence of those that fought and died in that noble cause, added to that I personally feel when walking through the battle field a sense of dispair and disbelief at the action that followed under Cumberlands orders, the mass murder, rape and pillage of any and every highlander that was considered to be a Jacobite supporter.

When I go up to Culloden I stay at the home of the Clerk of the works for the construction of the new exhibition centre, he is a very keen vintage motorcycle man, has many in his collection, he told me a story of when he was visiting his friend that lives in Inverness, it was getting dark, and as his particular choosen mount for the trip had no lights he left and made his way home in the gloaming, his motorcycle a single cylinder putted up the road and across the moor, he said as he started to drive by the battle field his motorcycle suddenly felt under strain, reducing in speed even though he had increased the throttle, he said it felt heavier, and he felt a strange presence as though someone had just got on the pillion seat, when he reached the other end of the battle field everything returned to normal as though his ghostly passenger had just got off, he said the hairs on the back of his neck where standing up, he never looked back.

He like myself had ancestors that fought and died there for the Jacobites, maybe it was his distant relative trying out a new form of highland charge, I only hope it was more successful than the one of 1746.

Here are a few photo's of the Clan graves

L1020854.jpg

L1020870.jpg

L1020871.jpg

L1020872-1.jpg

L1020873.jpg

L1020874.jpg

L1020890.jpg

L1020891.jpg

L1020886.jpg

L1020879.jpg

L1020878.jpg

L1020877.jpg

L1020876.jpg

the memorial cairn

L1020869.jpg

and last but not least, there where but a few,

L1020895.jpg

Chris

Nice pics yet again. One question if I may: where is the Gordon marker? :)

• Like 1

I could not decide which of these versions of the song that I like better so I will post both of them. This song pulled me in the first time I heard it, even before I knew much of my clan history.

My link

My link

I wish they would make a decent movie about this battle. I think the last was done way back in 50's It would be nice to educate and remind the world again what happened there.

Redshank: Thank You for sharing Your Photos with Us.

TraumaQueen: How pleasing it is to open up the Youtube You put on here.

What a joyfull morning and I needed it today. Both the Grave site pictures and the

Beauty of Deanta voice, my love for the Brotherhood shines today.

On the Beach in Virginia

got My Kilt on

BOS'N

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2009 at 3:05 PM, Raptor said:

Nice pics yet again. One question if I may: where is the Gordon marker? :)

There were Gordon's on both sides.