Just how Celtic are you?  

162 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ripped from a different thread.

How many people on this board have No to very very little Scottish / Celtic blood in them.

I do not believe I do.

Yet I wear kilts anyways. Almost full time to.

My blood ties to Scotland and other Celtic cultures are many hundreds of years old, dating back to before the Mayflower landed.

(EDIT: I'll have to check on recent arrivals. Growing up soo close to Boston, thinking there is no recent irish infusion would be naive )

I would have to sift through generations of Germans and Czechoslovacian ancestry to see if anything pops up.

I have been wearing a kilt, occasionally, for maybe 2 years now just because I like them. As far as I knew, I was 100% German. Then about 6 months ago I was going through my late father's geneology project and saw that he hadn't filled in one branch of the family tree, his mother's line. I knew she was from Nova Scotia so I started investigating on my own and found out that everyone on that branch can be traced back to Scotland. So I am 25% Scottish................who knew???

my grandfathefs grandfather was from galway ireland. thats recent enough for me to count myself as irish-american

I'm half French, and my other half is German and Danish. My German grandmother says we have some Irish through her line... but if you follow the "3 generations back" guideline, then I'd have to say that I don't have any Irish in me. You also have to take what she says with a grain of salt... so I very much doubt I can claim any Irish blood.

Not that I cared about that before I bought my 5 Utilikilts :)

I have a teeny tiny amount of Celt blood in me, enough to be easily looked over, but I enjoy and wear the kilt as much as I can.

With a surname like mine (shared with a few famous folks--a trumpet player, an astronaut, and more recently a fairly-fast bicycle racer), I'm sure there is some Scots ancestry. Same goes for the origins of my father's parents (small village in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains). My father's mother has a ton of notes on her geneology, and I have asked for them as part of my inheritance.

That said, I had long considered my own DNA to be mostly German: my mother's mother came to this country in the 1920s, Mom's father was of mostly-German descent (family all over Maryland, especially around Edgewood and Bel Air), several clearly-German names in my father's lineage support this claim.

I mostly wear modern kilts, as they are more functional (cover the subject, allow for carrying stuff, COMFORTABLE). I work in them when I can get away with it. I sometimes ride in them, although not the bikes from which I've taken my screen name (don't want to embarrass the local boys too much).

I don't know how much of this factors into whether I'm of enough Celtic origin to call myself such. Or whether it really matters to me.

I just want to wear a kilt (when I have to wear anything), as it is so much more comfortable than p@nt$.

I have a very diverse genealogical background, Native American, Irish, English, French, and African American. My Great Grandfather was an Irishman named Powers that married a Cherokee woman in Oklahoma. Lots of stuff going on.

I mostly wear the kilt because I like it. If it is stirred by some DNA telling me to do so, cool beans.

My blood is just about as mixed as it could be, but some bits are stronger than others.

I am, according to social security, a Hispanic Native American. (Of Lakota and Yakima tribes in particular, but there are others) I've always felt that the Hispanic Native American title needs a slash in between them as they just look odd together, but oh well.

On the native side, there is very strong Scots blood, and there is a belief among my family that Scots blood and our tribal blood = strong blood. Call it a primative tribal thing if you want to, but they believe in it, and for multiple generations folks in the family have sought out either natives or Scots to "build the bloodline" as I've heard it called. Our own contribution to genetics. In that mix there is also creole and probably some Asian. If you ever could meet folks from this side of the family, you would see that their little genetics project worked out. You will never meet a group of folks more difficult to kill, more foul tempered, more murderous, and more capable of mayhem than these folks.

On the other side, from my mom's father, there is Sicilian. Proud Sicilians. And they make it clear that they are not Italians. Mixed with that are dashes of Gypsy and Cossack, of the Bulgarian variety. Also, they were murderous fiends. Which I am sure everything blended so nicely when the bloodlines crossed.

I don't want to talk about dear old dad though, other than he was Hispanic. His last name was Ramirez.

Using the '3 Generations Back' rule I'm 7/8ths Texan!! Yeee Hawwwww!

I only have one Great Grand parent that was not born in Texas, his name was Upton A. Webb, born in North Carolina in 1886, he arrived in Texas in 1892 at the age of 6. He was awarded the Carnegie Medal for Bravery in 1911 for going down into a well to save a man who had fallen into it, I have the Medal right here on my desk ... hear tell the family was always willing to forgive him having been born outside of Texas on account of it.

Kilt ON!

Chris Webb

I am mostly German but wife is a mix of Swedish German and Irish.

But I still enjoy my kilts.

Bob

I have more varieties than Heinz 57, but one of them is Irish and I'm proud to fly that flag!

I'm a Celt (1st generation Cornish in USA ) and quite proud of that.

I'm also a man and very happy to see any other man comfortable enough with himself, his heritage and and his life wearing a kilt.

Kilts are good for Tradition and also good for men. More men wearing kilts is good for all of us, Celt or not.

Kilt on!

Kelt.

Maybe some kind of poll would be interesting? --- mostly Celtic ancestry, some , little to none -- or something along those lines

With the 'three generations' guideline I've got nothing. I have to go back 7 generations for my most recent immigrants (two Gordon brothers from Scotland), and 13 generations for my first immigrant ancestor.

That said, I'm a real mutt - Scots, Irish, Welsh, English, German, Dutch, French, and that's only direct immigrants (not including their background), throw in a trickle of Cherokee and a dash of Potowmeck (Patawomeke - that's where Potomac comes from) and you have a snapshot.

But getting back to Celt, I have Scots on both sides of the family as well as Irish and Welsh on both sides. So there's definitely Celt in there somewhere.

I have more varieties than Heinz 57

:ditto:

Have to go back many, many generations to find the the Scots, Irish and Welsh. And I started wearing a kilt before I ever discovered the Celtic side of my heritage.

Poll added!

I put down "Not Close 3-5 Generations."

However, I haven't discovered any roots that aren't Scots (McRae), Irish (O'Rourke), Scots-Irish (Clark (probably, or could be Scot or Irish)), Welsh (Brown & Reynolds), or English (Jermin (Anglo-Norman)). That makes for a pretty heavy Celtic blood mix. Born in America, made with a lot of Celtic parts.

I have English and Dutch ancestry.

There is a rumor in my family that it goes back to Cornwall (not too popular with the Scottish).

I have a utilikilt and looking to get more kilts.

I just made a shirt to go with my kilt. I believe it is called a waistshirt. I will get some pictures posted soon.

Silverkilt

Scots & Mayflower on Mom's side, Irish mercenaries on Dad's.

Fairly linear, with little to no branching off, until the last generation or so.

My eldest brother has been compiling the family genealogy for over 40 years... he's got it pretty well nailed down.

I wear the kilt (originally) out of heritage pride, but also comfort and style.

• Like 1

On my dad's side, 100% second generation Irish American. My grandparents grew up 15 miles apart in County Cork, my grandmother emigrated in through Boston, my grandfather Nova Scotia. He worked his way west on the railroads, came into the US somewhere in the Midwest. He then worked his way back east, and they met (for the first time) in Boston. Neat, huh?

On my mother's side it is 50% third or fourth generation Italian American, and then things get confusing. We are positive there is some Dutch and German in there, but we have suspicions of Norwegian, Iroquois, and Danish. That said, my grandmother is clearly and "Italian Grandmother" despite not a drop of it in her.

But the kilt was mostly a style/comfort based decision.

So yeah, Gaelic and garlic. That's me.

jim

• Like 1