Just how Celtic are you?  

157 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There is a rumor in my family that it goes back to Cornwall (not too popular with the Scottish).

arggh, they are just jealous. No palm trees in Scotland, see?

besides, no one built a wall to keep us out, we stayed out because we knew how much nicer we had it ;)

Kernow forever!

I am new to the forum... not so new to Kilts

My family is Scottish on both sides My fathers side we can trace our roots to the MacAllisters at Kintyre around 1400 AD.

We are Alexanders (Sir William Alexander 1st Earl of Stirling and important to Nova Scotia)

My mothers side to Farquahrson (Ferguson) sometime around 1200 AD.

My Great Grandfather on my mothers side spent a huge sum of money(several hundred dollars) to have their family lineage documented in the the late 1800's.

My great grandmother was Ewing (MacEwan) and traces through the paternal side back to the early 1700's in the US, then pretty much is lost prior to that. Since the MacEwans are a broken clan, there are few if any records prior to immigration to this country. Lots of German in me as well. I got interested in kilts before finding any of this out.

My blood ties to Scotland and other Celtic cultures are many hundreds of years old, dating back to before the Mayflower landed.

(EDIT: I'll have to check on recent arrivals. Growing up soo close to Boston, thinking there is no recent irish infusion would be naive )

HEHE, we sneeky wee micks get in everywhere!

When I took up heavy athletics I searched my family tree and found one very distant possible connection but I cannot really confirm for sure. I think because I wanted it to be I made the connection in my own mind at least.

I do know that my family is largely English as my last name is Ashton and my tree is traced back to when my great, great, great, great grandfather came over from the UK. My great, great, great, grandmother was a Trail which is my "Scottish" connection to the MacDuff Clan.

This strikes me as a post that has no purpose except to stir up sh**. The results don't matter what matters is we are kilted and love kilts.

i dont see anything ****-stirring about this thread. its just curiosity. and it seems to have been going well so far.

your right that that is what matters but there is nothing wrong with talking about what heritage you are.

My parents are both first generation Americans. My maternal grandparents are from Belarus and my paternal grandparents are from Ukraine. The poll did not have an option for "None" so I chose "Unsure".

However, I have lived and worked in Scotland and been back several times - so my love for Scotland, her land, people, culture and history is deep and abiding.

Regards,

Moon

I've got to go back a few generations to touch my Irish ancestor. Other than that it's mainly English and German.

Tough for me to answer. I'm adopted.

I'm English, but live in the US. However, my grandfather's grandfather and grandmother were born in Ireland, in Co. Cork, so I voted 3-5 generations. His last name (and my mother's) you already know. Callaghan was recognised as a clan by the Irish government, and there is a chief, who lives in Spain! The same grandfather's grandmother was a Gunn, but as she was Irish too, whether she had any Scots blood who can tell? Can't say if I'm Clan Gunn or not, but if I am it isn't by way of a sept. But I'm definitely at least 3% Irish, the same % as Jack Kennedy and Barack Obama (no, I'm not black, LOL!). I suspect most Irish Americans in my age bracket are the same % Irish, because that ties in with the time of the famine. OTOH, I can hardly call myself Irish American. I'd say I'm London Irish, like the way people call themselves Boston Irish, just a different city.

"Connected"

My mother's stepfather was a McKillop; and while she was never formally adopted, he was the only father she knew, and the only one of my grandfathers that I knew for 30+ years 'til he died. My parents are still married, but because of family politics, we were never in touch with my dad's side of the family - always going to the maternal side for holidays and such - and I really know nothing about them; so even though my blood and surname are more Scando/Germanic, I'd have to say I'm a son of the McKillops.

Both my mothers parents were 50/50 Anglo Scots which makes my Mum an anglo scot by a process of watering. My Dad was wholly English which makes me 75% English, 25% Scots.

I identify primarily to the Bruces. My Grandmothers maiden name was Bruce but the line daughtered out with her being the last of a family of girls. This closed surname has been passed on as a middle name since.

There are however other Scottish names in the mix and the more I explore, the more I find...

Very distant here...

Been working on my family tree for awhile now with some help from my aunt. My father's side(Byard) have been in the US since the mid 1700s and are known to have come from England and possibly migraited from Scotland(possible name respelling- Beard, Baird?) Yates, my father's mother's father side(wow...say that fast) have no records before coming here from England in the mid 1800s. Knight, my father's mother's mother side is said to come from Scotland(possibly-MacKnight, MacKnaught, MacKnaughton?), but again we are at a bump in the road. My mother was adopted so no records on her birth parents. Her adopted father was Serb(Watazychyn), but her adpoted mother was a Bruce. It turns out that my son will be the last Byard in our family to carry on the name. No pressure there!

Edited by ScottyB

I have a drop or two of Celtic blood Well, maybe more than a drop: Gael/Cruithne/Norman.

Born in the Scottish North-East, emigrated to play with the kangaroos & stuff down here!

my maternal grandfather's family are all from Leeds in England. other than that, every other branch of my family are Scottish. i was born in Scotland to Scottish parents and live in Scotland still. my family consists of Davies, Kincaids, Williamsons and Hendrys (the Hendry family being the English branch). the Williamsons (my maternal grandmothers family) have lived in Aberdeen going back to the mid-1700's (that's as far back as i have traced them so far). the Davie and Kincaid branches are currently being traced...

no DNA here, I am Swedish and German

well im from the ould sod...born in belfast then we moved to cork and when there was no work to be had came to the states...was far as me kilts i didnt start wearing them till i got here ... kinda reminds me where i came from and of the land i left so long ago

no DNA here, I am Swedish and German

Most Germans are Celts. It depends when and how your tree goes back there, but the Celtic tribes stretched over most of Europe. We were quite a large and diverse people a couple thousand years ago. :)

For example, the first known Celtic tribe in Europe was the Bulgarii, from the banks of the Danube river. Not too far from Bulgaria to Austria & Germany.

All four of my grandparents came from Poland. It's possible there are some Celts there somewhere in the past, but I doubt I'll ever know.

OK... now this is a wonderful post. It really gets you to thinking. I like the fact that it gets an individual to not only think "am I Scottish..." but, possibly on thought of "heck am I Gaelic : Scottish\Irish\Welsh". It just gets one to that point of curiosity where they are interested in where they have come from (no matter where that may be).

As far as bloodline and where a person (man\woman) might stand in relation to ANY type of Gaelic heritage... here is how I see it (and trust me, this is coming from a first generation, full "blue" blood... to use the term loosely... and yes, I AM a true titled Scotsman. I have the patence, and the paperwork, that proves such )...

1) You are here because you love the kilt and everything it stands for.

2) You just plain love the way the style of the kilt looks

3) because of #'s 1 and 2... it has caused you to grab hold of someplace where you feel you belong, or are understood

4) because of #1... you are interested in Gaelic heritage and what that means

5) because of #1... you are interest in YOUR Gaelic heritage and what that means

6) All of the above

This website (which was started and is run by a REALLY great friend of mine) is dedicate to the kilt, wearing the kilt, and the statement made by wearing the same (whether a statement of heritage or a statement of uniqueness). I find you all, because of that distinction\choice, to be more a part of MY heritage (Scottish) than a lot that are born in "heaven"\Scotland (lol). I know and I have seen a lot of Scots\Gaelic that could care less who or what they are. IMHO... it's those, like you all, that hold the passion close to your heart... that will keep the definition of what it means to be Gaelic alive for the next generation and generations to come.

It truly thrills my heart to see\read the responses of what each individual has written within this post (and most of those honestly state... "I'm not", or "I never thought I was until..."). Heritage and who\what makes us who we are... is VERY important. I love the diversity I see here. You all are the epitome of what our future will be. And that makes me proud. Proud of who and what I am, proud that I am apart of this, and proud that I can share this place with all of you. Slante Vo...

Yours Aye,

Lord S. M. McClain

President - Seven Rivers Highland Society

Lord McClain - of the Ulster McClain

Yours Aye,

Lord S. M. McClain

President - Seven Rivers Highland Society

Lord McClain - of the Ulster McClain

:wavey: Hi Ya Scottye, It's about time you got your ass over here.....Now take the time and do a proper introduction in the New to the Brotherhood section will ya...

I would have to sift through generations of Germans and Czechoslovacian ancestry to see if anything pops up.

Maybe someone else said this but the Germainic tribes were Celts as well. The Celts had the largest empire in the world at one time they jsut didn't unify under one ruler. Kind of sounds familiar huh...

My ancestry is heavily Scots-Irish and Scot. I also have a large German influence on my Dad's side.