Just how Celtic are you?  

157 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My last name is Grimes and it is a sept of Clan Graham. Plus my dad's mother was a Moore and they are a sept of Clan Gordon. On my mom's side her mother was a Clark which they have thier own tartan and are a sept of a couple different clans.

as far as I know I do not have any Scottish / Celtic blood but
I am a full time kilt wearer anyhow simply because I like wearing kilts

My Grandfather was a Paxton on my mothers side - the family has

stayed around York Penn. since early 1800's still trying to track down when

they arrived on the soil here Aaron Paxton lived from 1818 - 1886.

Seems that anyone connected through this lineage hits a brick wall

at aaron paxton.

It's tough when you get that far back. Census data isn't available. Tax and land records aren't available online. I'll have to start visiting the area they are from (or pay someone to do the research locally) to get any farther. It's frustrating especially if you have a common name like mine. Doubly so when you parents share the same last name! They met because my uncle and father were alphabetically queued up next to each other quite often while in the Marines. They got to talking, became friends, and my uncle introduced my mother to him while on leave.

* Wow that's a tough one. Right census data's no longer there and

have looked and found a few that are also Paxtons with the same

ancestor and they also reached the same dead ends. hmmmmm

Although, I admit I've had some fun with it. When I filled out my marriage license application and put down my mother's maiden name, the clerk got rather snotty with me (I imagine it's a common mistake and it's a tedious job.) She said "We need your mother's maiden name. You do know what it is don't you?" To which I replied, "Give me a break lady, they were cousins." Shut her right up.

* That's a great one. hahahahahahahaah Would have

loved to see her face when you revealed that. Am going

to give it another go before giving it a long long rest.

thanks

My people were mainland European Celts. The Germanic variety, they did not wear kilts simply because they were not evolved enough yet. I feel I am simply finishing the job.

• Like 2

Don't believe everything you read on Wikipedia, at least not at face value. The kilt wasn't called a kilt until the 16th century. ("Kilt" is not a Gaelic word, BTW.) The history of Celts wearing blanket-like garments goes back to Roman times, as described in several written Roman works including (Julius) Ceasar's Gaelic Wars. A bas-relief stone sculpture of Roman origin also illustrates a loose, belted, blanket-like Celtic garment. The Irish had a similar garment called the liene, and ironically, the Roman toga may have influenced the origins of the kilt.

What we now consider the kilt (tailored, pleated and waist-to-knee) didn't come along until circa 1725, and was possibly the invention of an Englishman, looking to improve the productivity of his Scottish tennants.

In short, there is no way to place an exact date on the first "kilt". It was a long evolutionary process.

This is part of the story then you add Queen Victoria's fascination with all things Scottish and there you have the birth of the "modern" kilt complete with Clan tartans.

"... It is one kind of kilt occupying one period of time and now hanging on by a thread by the efforts of those who want to honor and celebrate that particular kind of kilt as part of their history and heritage."

Hardly "hanging on by a thread". The proper kilt, as an essential and central component of traditional Scottish Highland attire is very much alive and well, thank you. It does indeed have a long history, and will very likely have a long future as well.

MUGs are an entirely different animal.

Back on topic... My four grandparents were Clan MacTavish, Dunlop, Farquharson and Lindsay, paternal to matrilineal.

I have come to believe being Celtic is a matter of "heart" or "soul" rather than blood lines. Gaelic is different, but as a friend in one of the clans says if you are a friend of the clan you are family.

• Like 1

The accident of birth shouldn't limit ya to a certain garment neither exclude you from wairing it.

Hardly "hanging on by a thread". The proper kilt, as an essential and central component of traditional Scottish Highland attire is very much alive and well, thank you. It does indeed have a long history, and will very likely have a long future as well.

MUGs are an entirely different animal.

Kilts are MUGs and a proper kilt of course could be everything which is a kilt by definition.

Edited by Kiltiger

I'm a pretty typical white American mongrel. My paternal grandparents were both first-generation American-born around the turn of the 20th century (his folks from Germany, hers from Ireland - surname: Ryan). On my mother's side our arrival in the New World dates back to pre-Revolutionary War ti, but my grandmother's maiden name was Hume, which was carried as my mother's middle name, and now also my daughter's middle name. I have no issue claiming my German, Irish, Dutch, Scots heritage. But even if I did, I would also have no issue wearing my kilt!

If I remember what my dad told me right (he did geneology for over 40 years), the first McClure (my clan) came to America in 1617. I do know that he found it in black & white (actual document).

My immigrant was John Carr and got on the boat in 1720. Considering the Carrs (Kerrs) were mostly horsemen from the border areas and didn't wear kilts.....and I would argue that this is a pretty good although not the only reason why many don't wear the man skirt. So those of us who do and I currently have seven (Cactus Jack has seen me in three) enjoy them tremendously.

Just this week two individuals have asked me about them. So the word is getting out.

My mother's family came from(or were kicked out of) scotland generations ago, fetching up in Canada. There must be a geneological instinct that has made me search back on that side of my lineage. Otherwise I have considered myself more on the scandinavian side of things(Swedish/Finnish). As I am discovering, I am more mongrel than anything else....thats OK, we make the best pets!

Since this thread is back up, I'm roughly half Germanic and the it her half is Scot and Irish with a dusting of Norse for good measure.

I am mostly sassenach with about 20% scottish 5% scots-irish and 1% Bavarian. My Grandmothers maiden name was tull, which i have traced back to Clan Tully in co. Galway R.O.I. and later they moved to co. Antrim (home of tayto crisps!) And changed thier name to tull. That ancestor married a woman from antrim and their son moved to gloucester England and him and his son moved to somerset maryland.

Edited by sgianendubhsiast

I've got maybe 1/16 Irish. I'm mostly 1/4 Polish, 1/4 Norweigian, an 1/8 german, and a bunch of other random stuff that doesn't make enough difference.

Both of my parents are from Gaeltacht areas in western Ireland... so as far as I know I have NO connections to highland life whatsoever. Some relatives had very strong ties to the Fenian movement, but I don't think anyone in my family had the sort of money or prestige to attend the type of nationalist schools or organizations that tried to promote the saffron "Irish Kilt". So although I have deep roots in what is popularly termed Celtic culture, I have to be honest and say that I'm just an American who likes kilts!

I have two German grandmothers, one Dutch grandfather, and one Irish grandfather. All of them are the first generation born in the US, all of their parents were immigrants.

THIS is why I love this forum so much more than facebook! a six year old thread is still relevant!

very nice!

• Like 2

My father's side is 100% German (mostly Prussian, with some Alsatian), and Scottish and Welsh with a very small bit of Irish on my mother's. Some of the pertinent maternal surnames are listed in my signature line.

We have traced our ancestry back through to the Danes "settling" in Scotland. We're about 7 generations removed from Scotland. #OdinBorn

No Scottish that I know of. Dad's family was Napolitano. Mom was a mutt. Her maternal grandmother was from London and her maternal grandfather was Irish descent, with her great great grand father coming here during the famine. Her dad's side had german, french, danish and probably more anglo mixed in along the way, some here before the revolution. I've trace my mom's maternal grandmother line back to the 15-1600's. I got to John Locke's paternal uncle. 

My wife's maiden name is Watt, which falls under Buchanan. She's Scottish, Irish and German. 

macmanjim, you CAN go under your spouse's tartan, if you were in the military you could use theirs. Some colleges have tartans as well. There are several national tartans. The field is wide open.

34 minutes ago, ST-103 said:

macmanjim, you CAN go under your spouse's tartan, if you were in the military you could use theirs. Some colleges have tartans as well. There are several national tartans. The field is wide open.

I plan to go under hers, but I haven't bought a new kilt as I am in the process of losing weight. I don't want to buy something that will be too big in 3 months as kilts don't have a lot of play. In her case, Watt falls under Buchanan. It's a very colorful tartan. I was never in the military really. AROTC for two years and then figured out I wasn't meant for it. I didn't find a tartan design app on Scotweb, I think it was. I made something that incorporated my Irish and English ancestry, but boy, it's a fortune to have it made. I don't think my schools have Tartans (SUNY, NYU and University of Phoenix), but I'll have to look. The states I've lived do, but I haven't found somewhere that sells the AZ tartan. I'll have to look harder. 

• Like 1