Just how Celtic are you?  

157 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well I lost 111lbs so far and I have been lucky enough to find a kilt maker who also does alterations. I have two in right now and in November, I'll give her three more when I pass through while going to Canada. These weren't simple move the buckle alterations either and considering the cost of a new kilt....well I can get three altered (maybe four) for the cost of one new one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ST-103 said:

Well I lost 111lbs so far and I have been lucky enough to find a kilt maker who also does alterations. I have two in right now and in November, I'll give her three more when I pass through while going to Canada. These weren't simple move the buckle alterations either and considering the cost of a new kilt....well I can get three altered (maybe four) for the cost of one new one.

Congratulation on that weight loss. That is quite a feat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ST-103 said:

Congrats, 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ST-103 said:

Congrats on the weight loss. I'm right behind you. 50lbs in 13 weeks. I will wait until I get close to my target weight to buy more kilts, at least anything expensive. 

• Like 1

Growing up, we were told we were Scots/Irish. Decades later, I got interested in tracing the Boyd line back to Scotland. I was only able to go back 4 or 5 generations (I'd have to double check) in the USA before losing the trail. I assume that happened when we crossed the pond. About the same distance on the maternal sides, so I'm going with "Not close - 3 to 5 generations".

I took one of those DNA tests a couple of years ago, but haven't yet learned the lingo required to decipher the results. The summary says I'm British Isles: 39%, West and Central Europe: 34%, Scandinavia: 20%, Southeast Europe: 7%.

I got interested in kilts when I began doing the research. But this is the first year I've actually bought and worn a kilt. Lovin' it so far!

Hi folks,

First post here. Great topic!

If you have any European heritage, it's almost impossible not to have some Celtic ancestry. I read a scientific paper a couple of years back that proved, using genetics and mathematics, that every European living today must be descended from everyone who was alive in the 8th Century (and who had descendents who lived to the present). There's a good article here that boils it down: https://www.theguardian.com/science/commentisfree/2015/may/24/business-genetic-ancestry-charlemagne-adam-rutherford. That means that, if we have ancestors from anywhere in Europe, we're all descended from people who spoke Scots Gaelic - guaranteed.

However, the original post asked whether we have any blood relation to "kilt-wearing" Celts. Clearly the question is not about ancient Celts, but about Scots who spoke Gaelic and wore the kilt, and that limits us to a blood relation to Highland Scots from about the 1500s on. I'd say the chances of that are almost 100% for anyone with any close ancestral connection to Scotland or the North of England - and there's probably more than a 50% chance for anyone who has any close ancestral ties to the British Isles.

So I think a lot of folks here can switch their answer from "Unsure" to at least "Very Distant".

As for me, I was born in the North of England, so I have lots of confirmed ancestors from the Scottish Borders, lots of Reiver family names, including Bell, Elliot, Armstrong, Dodd, Storey and Bates. But border families may not have spoken Gaelic or worn the kilt back then. I do have a tentative link to the Highland clan MacLeod: supposedly my 6x great grandmother was a MacLeod, but I'm not sure enough of it to say it's definite. I also have a definite link to a great grandmother with the Henderson surname, which is a clan name, though I can't be sure of any definite link to Clan Henderson. Still, I like the tartan, so I'm thinking of getting a kilt made up in the Henderson Reproduction tartan.

But even if all these are false leads, given the fact that I was born where I was born, it's pretty certain mathematically that one or another of my genealogical lines must lead to a highlander who wore the kilt. I'm just not sure which one, or what clan.

Edited by Ian Cooper

23 minutes ago, Ian Cooper said:

Hi folks,

First post here. Great topic!

If you have any European heritage, it's almost impossible not to have some Celtic ancestry. I read a scientific paper a couple of years back that proved, using genetics, that every European living today must be descended from everyone who was alive in the 8th Century (and who had descendents who lived to the present). There's a good article here that boils it down: https://www.theguardian.com/science/commentisfree/2015/may/24/business-genetic-ancestry-charlemagne-adam-rutherford. That means that, if we have ancestors from anywhere in Europe, we're all descended from people who spoke Scots Gaelic - guaranteed.

However, the original post asked whether we have any blood relation to "kilt-wearing" Celts. Clearly the question is not about ancient Celts, but about Scots who spoke Gaelic and wore the kilt, and that limits us to a blood relation to Highland Scots from about the 1500s on. I'd say the chances of that are almost 100% for anyone with any close ancestral connection to Scotland or the North of England - and there's probably more than a 50% chance for anyone who has any close ancestral ties to the British Isles.

So I think a lot of folks here can switch their answer from "Unsure" to at least "Very Distant".

As for me, I was born in the North of England, so I have lots of confirmed ancestors from the Scottish Borders, lots of Reiver family names, including Bell, Elliot, Armstrong, Dodd, Storey and Bates. But border families may not have spoken Gaelic or worn the kilt back then. I do have a tentative link to the Highland clan MacLeod: supposedly my 6x great grandmother was a MacLeod, but I'm not sure enough of it to say it's definite. But even if that's a false lead, and given the fact that I was born where I was born, it's pretty certain mathematically that one or another of my genealogical lines must lead to a highlander who wore the kilt. I'm just not sure which one, or what clan.

Depends where one is from. My dad's parents were from the Naples area in Italy. I doubt his mother had any celt in her as she was dark and swarthy and looked more middle eastern or Indian in some ways than European. His dad however, I suspect, had a celt in the woodpile. He was light skinned and they used to call him tony riley and tony irish. He had a slight red tint to his brown hair and had hazel eyes. His mom had red hair. So I suspect that there's a scot or irishman in there somewhere. Dad was in between. Not dark, but could tan, dark brown eyes and black hair.  My mom had english, irish, scottish probably welsh, german and french. I look like an anglo version of my dad, but 8" taller. If you can believe it, he was 8" taller than his dad. Scottish folk in my mom's family had names of  Anderson, Scott and Ely. The English are Deacon, Scripps and Grove to name a few. Irish was Coyne and Wilson, Welsh was Powell and Jones. What a mix. My wife is a Watt, which is a sept of Buchanan.