JS Sanders

A New Ghillie Brogue

I recently purchased a pair of the new Ghillators. These are synthetic ghille brogues made of the same elasmoteric material as the popular CROCS shoe.

The Ghillators are astoundingly light. Mine (size 9.5 US) weigh in at 5oz/144 grams per shoe.

Here's a photo of my Ghillator (upper) and one of my leather ghille brogues.

ghil2.jpg

They're simple to clean - rinse, and perhaps scrub a bit under running water.

The Ghillators are almost indistinguishable from the traditional leather ghillie brogues. From a distance, no one is gonna catch on. Ghillators are not quite as black, but it's not really noticeable. With a matte-like finish to them too.

Ghillators are significantly more comfortable than a typical ghillie brogue. Those are notoriously uncomfortable and often hell on your feet after a day wearing them at Highland events. I've worn my new purchase to a funeral gig that took the better part of a day. Usually I remove my ghillie brogues when I'm leaving the gig. Didn't bother to do so with Ghillators.

I'd speculate one's feet may perspire more in these shoes on a summer day. And I'm uncertain how long they'll last - perhaps as long as sneakers. You ain't gonna get a mirror shine on them.

And I wouldn't wear Ghillators with a Prince Charlie, though by convention you shouldn't wear ghilles with formalwear anyway.

Here's the best part of all.... currently Ghillators are selling for $49.95 plus shipping. I placed my order online and they were in my mailbox two days later. These may be just the item for those who don't wanna pay $100+ for a pair of leather ghillie brogues.

I like the sound of them. A few hours in my ghillies & understand why we Scots are so warlike.

Thank you so much for that link. I think I finally found my first pair of ghillies.

Never found ghillies wide enough for my wide foot...will check these.

Okay, checked the website and not a single word about width. What is WRONG with cobblers these days that they've begun ignoring foot width??? Like going to a lumber yard and buying lumber by length only. Or buying kilts by length only and ignoring waist size.

Lazy fckrs if you ask me - if you're gonna go into the shoe making business make shoes in various widths to fit REAL feet. Still can't wear ghillies for cobblers ignoring width.

Okay, checked the website and not a single word about width.

Look again - he only lists medium & wide shoes. Also, these shoes have more than ordinary give & stretch.

Very cool, ...lost my train of thought..

Interesting to say the least..

Very kewl, I wear Doc Martins with mine but do need something dressier.- George

On my Xmas "wish List"

On my Xmas "wish List"

Now I'm confused. Here's an email I got back from my inquiry about widths...he says he doesn't have them yet...if I'm reading right. My need is for 4E width.

Hi Ron,

Thank you for your inquiry. During our initial product development phase, our research showed that the majority of potential customer’s shoe sizes fall within the standard or “D” width. Consequently, our debut this year features 5 sizes in standard (D) widths. We will work with our web designer to get this information included on our website.

We are interested in accommodating both larger and smaller size lengths and widths. During our continuous product improvement program, we collect data that will be included in determining future production techniques and designs. Be assured that your comments will be included in future company decisions.

Due to the elastomeric material of our product, feedback we’ve been receiving from our customers indicate that GhillatorsTM are very accommodating for wider feet. We offer a 30 day warranty with each purchase, so if find GhillatorsTM are not comfortable for you, you may return them for a refund.

Best regards,

Philip Schlotter

Cobelere, LLC

Exclusive Distributor of GhillatorsTM

"The World's Most Comfortable Ghillie Brogue"

P.O. Box 122

Elfers, Florida 34680 USA

727-916-7463

www.ghillators.com

www.ghillators.co.uk

www.ghilliebrogues.com

FYI. I was emailing with Seamus at SportKilt last week and he also stocks these and has them up on the web site now.....

Never found ghillies wide enough for my wide foot...will check these.

Okay, checked the website and not a single word about width. What is WRONG with cobblers these days that they've begun ignoring foot width??? Like going to a lumber yard and buying lumber by length only. Or buying kilts by length only and ignoring waist size.

Lazy fckrs if you ask me - if you're gonna go into the shoe making business make shoes in various widths to fit REAL feet. Still can't wear ghillies for cobblers ignoring width.

I have the opposite problem - finding shoes narrow enough for my feet. I usually have to add a cushioned insert or something else to fill up the extra space.