CactusJack

Vintage Kilt Photos

This thread is for the posting of vintage kilt pictures (Non Military)

So post them here and I'll start it off.

3301203.jpg

September 1951: Queen Elizabeth and King George VI (1895 - 1952) (centre) with Captain Farqhuarson (right), the Marquis of Aberdeen (left) and Princess Margaret (1930 - 2002) at the Braemar Highland Gathering in Aberdeenshire. (Photo by Keystone/Getty Images)

3333399.jpg

circa 1850: John Brown (1826 - 1883), personal attendant to Queen Victoria (1819 - 1901). Queen Victoria often stayed at Balmoral, her Highland retreat, after the death of her beloved Prince Albert in 1861 and became such close friends with her ghillie John Brown that their relationship caused scandal throughout the court and government of the time. Brown served with her for 34 years before he died at Windsor. (Photo by Express/Express/Getty Images)

Heres a few,

The first one was called "The Reel of Turloch" ( please correct me if I am wrong )

TheReelofTulloch.jpg

This one is from a book I had of Prince Charles and Princess Di

diandcharlie.jpg

and last is of this strangely familiar fella....kind of looks like a ape in a kilt...

argylljackvest5.jpg.......scarey!!!

90762378.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921CC759DF4EBAC47D090EE22AAAFFC8037A66B55C53FB076D558047314EA3FDDBB

A Ghillie at Balmoral, 1856.

3068382.jpg

21st December 1935: Dr Barnardo boys of the Kingston Hill home chairing Santa Claus after piping him in. The boys are wearing highland dress and Santa holds aloft a large Christmas pudding. (Photo by Reg Speller/Fox Photos/Getty Images)

83319173.jpg

A group of Scottish men about to set out on a deer-hunting expedition in Perthshire, Scotland, 1869.

78301687.jpg

Left to right: Bing Crosby (1904 - 1977), Dorothy Lamour (1914 - 1996)

and Bob Hope (1903 - 2003) in contrasting Scottish and Balinese outfits

in a publicity shot for Hal Walker's musical comedy 'Road to Bali', 1952.

3333399.jpg

circa 1850: John Brown (1826 - 1883), personal attendant to Queen Victoria (1819 - 1901). Queen Victoria often stayed at Balmoral, her Highland retreat, after the death of her beloved Prince Albert in 1861 and became such close friends with her ghillie John Brown that their relationship caused scandal throughout the court and government of the time. Brown served with her for 34 years before he died at Windsor. (Photo by Express/Express/Getty Images)

Love this one! How cool are the brace of pistols in the belt?

This one is from a book I had of Prince Charles and Princess Di

diandcharlie.jpg

Interesting pic, in that Charles is wearing the Gordon rather than the more usual Balmoral. Charles often wore the Gordon in his capacity of Colonel-In-Chief of the Gordon Highlanders Regiment, but ti's not often he was photographed in one outside of the military setting.

This is a gentleman from my wife's family. Last name Garland. It's explained to me they are affiliated with the Gordons.

Williamwattgarland-1.jpg

A modern photo of that hat and badge.

Gordontambadgeandtartan.jpg

The badge is a Gordon Highlander's regimental Tam badge. It is traditionally mounted on a square of Modern Gordon tartan which has the yellow stripe laying diagonally like an "X". Good pic, & personally interesting to me.

Very cool that you have those articles Tony!

Love this one! How cool are the brace of pistols in the belt?

Them pistols are the Gov. Issue "all steel Highland Pistols". These still are accepted for some" formal wear", in some of the Highland regiments.

They are guite plain, when compared with others. ( BTW, I carry these quite often, in period dress (1800s-1850s)

I have also posted a series of discussions on this genre of pistol.

Puffer

The scroll butt is a cool looking piece indeed!

Very cool that you have those articles Tony!

I don't have the items, just photos. My wife ran across them on a cousin's facebook and thought I'd be interested.

That is Gordon modern?

If you mean the tartan over the chair, nope. Gordon modern is a Black Watch with a yellow stripe (most commonly a 7" sett). I meant that the badge is mounted on a square of the modern when attached to the tam. I have my Granda's attached to my cut-off. I'll try & get a pic for you today.

A few more.....I like this thread! Cool idea Larry.

Ex.jpg

kidsnkilts.jpg

Awesome one,

LandHinkilts.jpg

Some scouts

scouts.jpg

Some more of John Brown

jbrown1.jpg

jbrown2.jpg

jbrown3.jpg

Prince Charles

pcharlie.jpg

I know there was to be no mil pics, but this is one of Basil Rathbone ( Sherlock Holmes )

basilrathbone.jpg

3308780.jpg

3308779.jpg

Now THATS a flatcap!

3260135.jpg

2882521011_4e68cb08de_b.jpg

I'd like to see that Raptor. Thanks!

Here ya go mate.

IMG_0278.jpg

• Like 1

Some scouts

scouts.jpg

Hahaha, he's wearing a fez!!! Priceless! :lol::sorry:

Yeah...but it would be better if he was kilted as well.

I appologize for the pic below, in that it is not a "kilted pic" but an Accessory I posted this because of the 2 pics of Brown & his "plain Pistols"

This is one of many pics I have of the "nicer ones"

untitled.jpg

If you are interested in more, I will do a Thread on them. ( I can not find my old thread on BOTK.

Also check here http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingassociation.com/forum/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=7681&highlight=scottish+steel+pistol

And Here Note on this forum I was invited to discuss ML?bp guns, It led to a # of posts on The "Highland Pistol. Starting @ this point. http://www.engravingforum.com/showthread.php?t=1391&page=9

Sorry for the transgression

Puffer

Andrew Wallace Ca 1900

Andrew_Wallace.jpg

Laird's Plaids

Copyof2882521011_4e68cb08de_b.jpg

I appologize for the pic below, in that it is not a "kilted pic" but an Accessory I posted this because of the 2 pics of Brown & his "plain Pistols"

This is one of many pics I have of the "nicer ones"

untitled.jpg

If you are interested in more, I will do a Thread on them. ( I can not find my old thread on BOTK.

Also check here http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingassociation.com/forum/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=7681&highlight=scottish+steel+pistol

And Here Note on this forum I was invited to discuss ML?bp guns, It led to a # of posts on The "Highland Pistol. Starting @ this point. http://www.engravingforum.com/showthread.php?t=1391&page=9

Sorry for the transgression

While I personally think we have enough gun threads running for a kilt forum to deal with, I have to make a positive comment here Jack. It tends to be overlooked that this type of pistol & it's ilk is as much a part of Scottish history as the Claidh-morgh or broadsword. Thanks!

FranklinRoosevelt.jpg

Future President Franklin Roosevelt taken with his father at about 6 years of age (1888).