A B Graham

Balmoral Vs. Beret

I thought about picking up a Maroon Beret like this one:http://dunaddtradingcompany.co.uk/Headwear.aspx

because I wear a Maroon Beret in the Army now. I love my Beret, I earned it and loved being a paratrooper. I never thought about wearing my Army Beret with my kilt when I get out, but now I just may.

I wear a black beret that i wore when I was in the GA State Defence Force. I only have my clan badge and a New World Celts pin on it. When I left the GSDF i was able to take my beret with me due to the fack that I bought it my self. We wore both a patrol cap and the Beret (of course not at the same time). As KC stated earlier as long as it is plan black beret you sould be fine. And if you do want to wear a beret you can go to just about any army surplus store and get one without anything on it.

This thread is a bit old, but I'd like to add that people seem overly concerned about the pitfalls of wearing a colour of beret that might indicate a service that they weren't in, when almost every colour seems to have been appropriated by some branch of the military, and the colour codes are different between countries as well. That doesn't seem to leave much in the way of neutral colours, does it?

For example, a green beret seems to be special forces in the US, but regular army in several other countries. I myself wear a green caubeen and won't wear a black one in case it looks like IRA headgear, and yet Americans (and I do live in the US, though I'm not a citizen) seem to buy black ones and apparently may be avoiding green so it doesn't look like they are pretending to be special forces. Given that those are the only two colours that caubeens seem to come in ...

As long as you don't wear someone else's cap badge, I think most of you will be all right!

Or we could all wear light blue berets like the UN, so that we can keep the peace between us, LOL!

Edited by O'Callaghan

As long as you don't wear someone else's cap badge, I think most of you will be all right!

I tend to agree, with this line of thinking.

I own and wear black & green balmorals, GGs and berets - the badges I place upon them are of generic Scottish/Irish nature.

Sold my caubeen, a few months ago... while I liked the style of it, it simply did not look right, atop my bulbous head.

... it simply did not look right, atop my bulbous head.

The down-side of an oversized brain case. :wink:

I have and wear, with traditional Highland attire, two Balmorals (black and grey), a black Glengarry and a beautiful grey tam-style bonnet that my brother hand-knitted and felted for me. All but the tam are worn with a ribbon cockade of my Chief's livery colors and a pewter cap badge.

I also occasionally wear the tam with Saxon casual wear in the winter, but mostly ball caps when not kilted.

I wear Balmorals mainly, but also wear berets, Glengarries, & Tams. Now what I REALLY want is the classic traditional enormous bluebonnet with the red toorie. I'd be a happy man.

A black beret seems to me, to be appreciable headgear for use at an American highland games or feis. As long as the cloth DUI backing is removed and a clan badge or club badge attached, I see no harm in it. However, I would not wear a black beret outside of a games, Burn's Supper or local gathering or association dinner due to the problems you may have with veterans.

Years ago, I wore the headgear of our veteran's association (black beret with veterans badge, blue blazer, regimental tie, greyslacks, polished low quarters) to a Veteran's Day parade with three decorated Canada veterans we had invited to come down and march with us. Before the parade began a veteran from a well known American veterans organization hastily wobbled over to us and angrily confronted me: "Young man! Did you earn that beret? Did you pass Ranger school?" I explained that this was the headgear of our duly-constituted, Congressionally recognized veterans organization, which obviously did not satisfy. We went back and forth until this gentlemen left.

The moral of the story: Be careful of what you wear, and when. Even though you are honoring your heritage, others may not see it that way.

Edited by Irishpiper

A black beret seems to me, to be appreciable headgear for use at an American highland games or feis. As long as the cloth DUI backing is removed and a clan badge or club badge attached, I see no harm in it. However, I would not wear a black beret outside of a games, Burn's Supper or local gathering or association dinner due to the problems you may have with veterans.

Years ago, I wore the headgear of our veteran's association (black beret with veterans badge, blue blazer, regimental tie, greyslacks, polished low quarters) to a Veteran's Day parade with three decorated Canada veterans we had invited to come down and march with us. Before the parade began a veteran from a well known American veterans organization hastily wobbled over to us and angrily confronted me: "Young man! Did you earn that beret? Did you pass Ranger school?" I explained that this was the headgear of our duly-constituted, Congressionally recognized veterans organization, which obviously did not satisfy. We went back and forth until this gentlemen left.

The moral of the story: Be careful of what you wear, and when. Even though you are honoring your heritage, others may not see it that way.

Fascinating since for the longest time the black beret was the symbol of passing through Ranger training but now the brown beret is. l personally still wear the black beret I got in college for being part of Rudders Rangers at A&M. I wear it as a remembrance of those friends who have passed on and as a reminder of my college days. I did not get to go to Ranger school as I expected due to an injury which even now all these years later is the one great regret of my life.

• Like 1

Fascinating since for the longest time the black beret was the symbol of passing through Ranger training but now the brown beret is. l personally still wear the black beret I got in college for being part of Rudders Rangers at A&M. I wear it as a remembrance of those friends who have passed on and as a reminder of my college days. I did not get to go to Ranger school as I expected due to an injury which even now all these years later is the one great regret of my life.

The black beret was adopted by the Board of Directors of the Cold War Veterans Association (CWVA) in early 2000 if memory serves correct. I began wearing mine a year later with the CWVA cap badge. Since that time, I have continued it as it represents my years of federal and state service. However, I have had veterans (and not a few non-veterans) come up and ask me about it.

"Young man! Did you earn that beret? Did you pass Ranger school?"

Having come to X Marks 4 years after the OP here. I mentioned something similar over there and was also met with strong opposition. I didnt understand since I dont wear kilts in the traditional way at all.

My wife is take it leave it on the kilt. She isnt for it, but also isnt opposed if I want to wear it. She does however LOVE the beret. I bought a black US mil spec and a tan one for use on different kilt outfit combos I plan to put together.

I was in the US Army, 4th Inf Div but did not earn any berets. In fact I didnt earn anything but knees that have ached every day for the past 15 years. When I asked if I "earned" a beret my attitude more like this. "No, I didnt earn a beret, but what I did earn is this. I have a job, where I went to work and EARNED the money I used to buy my berets from a legal distributor".

• Like 1

Down here the black beret is worn by our Armoured Corps, & some support units to the SAS. As I was in the navy, I never officially "earned" a beret, but when I did a stint in a "private security" team, we wore a red beret on parade & an infantry green one in the bush. I would personally never wear either black or sand, as I have close mates in those two particular regiments, but outside of that, I've seen combat in both regular AND irregular military units, & I consider I've earned the right to wear what the I like. Anyone who tells me I cant will be needing to explain their logic physically.

• Like 2

I am shaping a black beret and also have a grey one

10505334_10152848072289417_7715270772592

10806199_10152854209224417_7480807178925

You wear them well brother

• Like 1

Mine's not traditional by any means, but I typically opt for the "flat cap".

• Like 1

Our band will be wearing the Royal Irish Rangers Caubeen bonnet with a Civil war-style Irish harp badge ( honoring both Union and Confederate troops who served, 1861-65 ) with a black hackle.  The black hackle denotes remembrance of all unaccounted for Prisoners of War ( POW ) in the United States and Allied Force nations since the Second World War ( 1939-45 ).