Jim W.

Concealed Carry Holsters

I have seen a few times people posting about concelled carrying. Well I have been talking to a very nice lady that has given me a great opportunity. I told her that I wear kilts a lot and wanted to know if she made them for men too. I did tell her that I don't want the flower. She said I was the first to ask her.

Camille from chicks holsters www.chicksholsters.com is giving me the chance to test out her thigh holsters. I will be giving her my honest review with pictures.

Her prices are very good. Check out her site.

If you want I will post my review here too.

Jim

Since a thigh holster will require lifting the Kilt to draw, one might end up exposing your gun and your weapon, as it were.

Aye:

"A quicks draw Mcgraw you will not be" !

However the advantage will be in your favor when you raise the hem of your kilt and

catch the culprit by surprise wondering how you are going to defend yourself in that manner !

He will get an eyefull of sorts in more ways than one !

On another note a shoulder holster hidden beneath a PC or Argyle jacket (think Sean Connery-

aka James Bond) would be the choice for a fast draw. A hidden pouch/compartment in a sporran

would be another next best situation.

But ultimately the deciding factor is once the concealed carry gun is out of the holster the

accuracy with which one uses the piece to preserve the peace.

Please do not hesitate at being a 'good shot' and plan to holster the piece for another day.

"Did you see that?" "He pulled that gun out of *"*nowhere*"* and dispatched the scoundrel" !

rm

Life Member of the Brotherhood

Life Member of the NRA

I am also one of this LADY's "Test subjects" :sunny:

In my case,I am interested in this style "rig" for

1. DEEP carry ( keep your comments "clean" :blink: )

2. Carrying a BUG ( back up gun )

I presented Her with a "slight prob" The Gun I wanted to "test out" is my SP101 2 1/4", .357 mag. revolver. The "challenge is that it is not a "flat sided" semi auto, & is heavier/ "bigger" than most "snubbies"

I just got an email from Her, telling me that She has completed mine & is sending it to me to TEST :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

JONESING!!!

BTW, this LADY is GREAT

Puffer

If your drawing a loaded weapon, you'll have much more to think about, then if somebody seen your ass. I'm packing all the time(I have a permit), my holster in secured under my left arm pit of my vest, I'm always wearing a vest. No one ever knows I'm carrying.

I can't load up any of the my pict.

neat-o. on the subject. this is my springfield 1911-A1 .45 mil spec(modified)

i place to use this for my carry weapon one i obtain my permit.

1911a1dragoncamo.jpg

Gentlemen, I've been following this series of posts with interest and now feel that it's time to enter my 2 cents worth.

I have been carrying concealed for more years than some of you are alive. When I made the move to full time kilts, I didn't have to modify anything. In my ever so humble opinion the Cross Breed Holster is the absolute best holster available. It is ugly, but it is BY FAR the most comfortable holster I have ever owned. After practice it affords a very fast draw and also the velcro version is virtually invisible. Please remember that with Concealed Carry the CONCEALED part is the most important! No one should ever know or even suspect that you are carrying! Small automatics (Kahr, PPK, KelTec, Taurus, etc) and hammerless wheel guns particularly are great for this holster.

I have been carrying concealed for more years than some of you are alive.

GOT YOU BEAT, "Young'un :wavey:

Puffer

neat-o. on the subject. this is my springfield 1911-A1 .45 mil spec(modified)

i place to use this for my carry weapon one i obtain my permit.

1911a1dragoncamo.jpg

Details on the grips please, I like those.

GOT YOU BEAT, "Young'un :wavey:

Puffer

Yea Jack, you probably do. What do you think of my holster choice?

Yea Jack, you probably do. What do you think of my holster choice?

It is one I have never worn, but another Instructor I teach with does & He "loves it" I'll have to borrow it & his Gun(s) & try it out.

Sounds like it "WORKS" for you & that is the KEY

Puffer

In my ever so humble opinion the Cross Breed Holster is the absolute best holster available. It is ugly, but it is BY FAR the most comfortable holster I have ever owned.

Seconded! I have a Crossbreed Supertuck and I can't imagine a better holster. (This may be why I'm not in the holster business?) After having it and wearing it regularly for a month or two, it conforms to your shape and I usually can't even feel it at all anymore. Also, their customer support is truly impressive.

Whups, James. We might have turned this into a threadjack.

-kiltncarry

Details on the grips please, I like those.

Hogue Grips. LamoCamo(they have dozens of woods/colors. with custom dragon skin texture($10 extra, well worth it for the grip ness) they are slightly more round in profile than the stock Springfield Armory "custom shop" cocobolo grips, but i have bigger hands and the more extreme profile helps me a bit. took bout 40 days for mine to come in, but its a made to order grip. ill give you the clicky pop of their site, and my other fave' grip company.

HOGUE

1911 Custom Killer Grips

Seconded! I have a Crossbreed Supertuck and I can't imagine a better holster. (This may be why I'm not in the holster business?) After having it and wearing it regularly for a month or two, it conforms to your shape and I usually can't even feel it at all anymore. Also, their customer support is truly impressive.

Whups, James. We might have turned this into a threadjack.

-kiltncarry

I'll stick to the shoulder/side carry. as big as I am and the clothes I wear. nobody sees it

I'll be watching this thread. I'm still looking for a good carry option. I wear my kilts high so I havent felt the crossbreed was the best option. just felt the draw would be too unatural at that position. I had been looking at a thigh holster option but wasnt sure how well it would work with my 1911. I'm still toying with the idea of a concealed carry sporran.

Current use is a smart carry. Works great with my 1911 and my 38 snub concealed at the same time. the best extra ammo is having another gun.

Depending on the piece, small ones slip easily into a quality sporran.

I'll be watching this thread. I'm still looking for a good carry option. I wear my kilts high so I havent felt the crossbreed was the best option. just felt the draw would be too unatural at that position. I had been looking at a thigh holster option but wasnt sure how well it would work with my 1911. I'm still toying with the idea of a concealed carry sporran.

Current use is a smart carry. Works great with my 1911 and my 38 snub concealed at the same time. the best extra ammo is having another gun.

I just got my "test" THIGH Holster Rig from "Chick Holsters". ( I will do a review after I have "run it through It's paces. But I can say She does GOOD work & even the "little" I have worn it, it is more comfortable than others I have tried.

BTW, it is designed for my 2.5" SP101 which is "heavy" for a snubby.

IMHO, A 1911 is TOO big & weighty, for a thigh rig.To me,this style rig is best for "deep carry" or your BUG.

As to you wearing your KILTS high = ME too :wavey: My MoD's took some "practice" accessing my 1911 & 4' 66 revolver. ( even as tall & long waisted as I am, the clearing the gun, means it is at my "pecs", even with my "custom" holsters ( forward cant)1 of my MoDs ( the LSR ) is too high to work with a IWB rig. On the other hand my "high waisted "civilian" Kilts ( about 1.5" to 2" lower ) work fine. Note, When wearing my MoDs, I most often carry My SP101 in a "Jackass" shoulder rig.

YES, Having another Gun is the BEST "reload". :sunny:

Puffer

Jack,

I have been wearing my thigh holster for a while now. So far not too many issues for normal wear. I do have some problem when I am real active. When doing a lot of stooping, squating or stairs it does drop down some. I talked to Camille and sent her a picture with it on my leg. She said I seem to be wearing it higher then she planned, about 6" above the knee. When I wear it lower it doesn't drop. But when I set you can see the holster. I will continue to test it. The quality is very good.

I agree with this being more of my secondary/backup gun.

Jim

I have a Brave Response Concealed Carry holster.  It takes practice to manipulate your shirt to draw from that high of a carry, but everyone should be "doing the reps" in order to be effective.  While the kilt itself adds a distraction factor, the holster allows for near invisible carry while being cool and comfortable.

Is that an inside or outside the waistband holster?