Budog

Look what I order

staghorn-sgiandubh.jpg

I ordered it from USA Kilts...

* If I wear this in my boot, but the handle is visible, do you Bro's think I'm legal???

Budog. :D

That looks nice, I have one that is similar. I won't get into legalities cause I live in a different country.

I ordered it from USA Kilts...

* If I wear this in my boot, but the handle is visible, do you Bro's think I'm legal???

Budog. :D

Nice!

Legality? Depends on the locality, the occasion, and the mood of law enforcement.

talk to the local Police dept. It varies from town to town, and from what I can see, depends a whole lot on how much the officers know about Scottish traditional dress and the meaning of the sgian!

I've heard that sgians by Raptor tend to be more acceptable to local law enforcement. Something about the quality of the work. But that's just one opinion... ;)

I've got one like it (from Rocky as well) I haven't had any comments on it as yet. I actually forgot about having it on and went to pick my son up at school (its a no-no to bring any weapon into school here) but luckily no one noticed except my son.

<_< Rocky and I just emailed each other... PayPal screwed up and took payment from the wrong source. I disputed the charges, and Rocky was right on it... Now I have to get ahold of PayPal so this isn't a blight on USA Kilt's PayPal record. ;)

Budog. B)

I've heard that sgians by Raptor tend to be more acceptable to local law enforcement. Something about the quality of the work. But that's just one opinion... ;)

:) you smooth talker you!

From what I can see from the pic, it seems to be neither edged nor really pointed. Would this make it a letter opener rather than a knife from a legal standpoint?

The one I have like that, but it wouldn't cut warm butter, it was from the sgian dubh company, for comparison here it is:

100_0374.jpg

100_0375.jpg

After I bought this one I got my Raptor sgian

McMurdo, can you do a side-by-side of the sgian pictured above and your Raptor, with close-ups of the blade?

I agree, Glen, mine was dull edged so I have started putting an edge on it but stainless takes a long time to work in.

I have worn mine to work in the Atlanta Federal Center. The security guys think my kilt-wearing is cool. If they even noticed it, they've never said anything.

:) There is a shop in Salt Lake City that does professional cutlery sharpening for chefs and stuff utilizing a wet wheel system. Perhaps I'll take it to them to have sharpened...

Budog. ;)

The one I have like that, but it wouldn't cut warm butter, it was from the sgian dubh company, for comparison here it is:

100_0374.jpg

100_0375.jpg

After I bought this one I got my Raptor sgian

Now, I am getting ideas of projects using the antler rack given to me by Kilted Photo (see the thread from July 4th at Brett's house).

NO! Must make a KILT. MUST make a KILT! MUST MAKE a KILT!!

(Or a sporran maker will be after me)

:huh: Well, it arrived today. To be honest I am dissapointed... the handle is flat on one side, the edge is rough etc. Beware, personally the picture is better than the actual item and it is highly over priced... B) "Caviot Emptor" <_<

Budog. B)

Now, I am getting ideas of projects using the antler rack given to me by Kilted Photo (see the thread from July 4th at Brett's house).

NO! Must make a KILT. MUST make a KILT! MUST MAKE a KILT!!

(Or a sporran maker will be after me)

I'm gonna make you feeel really guilty tomorrow, John. <_<:huh:

:neutral: Well, it arrived today. To be honest I am dissapointed... the handle is flat on one side, the edge is rough etc. Beware, personally the picture is better than the actual item and it is highly over priced... :angry: "Caviot Emptor" :rolleyes:

Budog. B)

Budog if you take a look at the pictures of my similar sgain or the one I got from Raptor the back is flat on both to provide more comfort when worn against the leg. Was it from the Sgian Dubh company? If so then it's the same one that I have, I do find that the sgian from Raptor is far superior, and I do not wear that one at all anymore. Not sure why the edge would rough, maybe you could get in touch with Rocky about your concerns.

:rolleyes: I'm just going to consider it a lesson learned. I'm not too worried about comfort, I was a grunt and a medic. You get what you pay for, but in this case I just feel it is highly overpriced... I am going to take it to my local professional cutlery shop to be sharpened on the wetstone, I'll be able to literally shave with it when they are done. It will have to do for now, but my next one will be picked and purchased in person.

Budog. :neutral: