redbeard the kilted

Lds And Kilted

I hope that I'm not the only one. I pray that I'm not the only one. Am I the only guy on the forum who's LDS and kilted? Which brings up a salient point; last sunday I was one of two unbifurcated men in church. The other guy was sporting a lavalava and flip flops.

Where you at in the world?

I've noticed an upsurge in kiltwearing around Salt Lake City - have seen pics taken in front of the temple there. I think kilts fit well with one's heritage - something members of the LDS church seem to embrace. There are a number of highland games in the SLC area....so probably.

No, I'm not LDS.

I'm in the great wilds of Wisconsin.

Well, should you wander to Salt Lake City kilted I don't think you'd have any problems with the bretherin. Not sure if kilts are "temple eligible" yet though. Would seem the proper attire to seal up some Scottish ancestors.

Here are some LDS folks in kilts.

TempleSquareSLC08.jpg

A Kilted Santa in front of the Temple in SLC.

Here are some pics my kilted friend Marty Martin (Marshal Moroni on another board) sent me three years ago.

Marty_and_Jeanne_at_SLC_Temple.jpg

Marty and his wife Jeanne at the SLC Temple

Marty_and_sun_stone.jpg

Marty at the Sun Stone

Marty_at_BYU.jpg

Marty at BYU

Marty_in_SLC.jpg

Marty in Salt Lake City - kilt doesn't show in this pic, but its there.

And, if you haven't already, you can Google "LDS Kilts" and variations and find more info.

Nice pics. Every summer in Nauvoo Illinois, there is an LDS piper group that preforms nightly.

I grew up LDS and I'm here to say that the kilt is not only accepted, but it is held in pretty high regard. I think the emphasis on geneology in the church makes that so.

I'm kilted in Texas but haven't built the courage to wear it to church yet

It Will Happen When The Time's Right One Day You Will Wake Up And Decide Today Is The Day.

john

• Thanks 1

On 5/21/2019 at 10:51 AM, Lewdawg said:

I'm kilted in Texas but haven't built the courage to wear it to church yet

I’m in the Panhandle, about 45 miles from Amarillo. There are two of us that occasionally go to church kilted. That said, I am kilted almost every time I leave the house. I have also let my beard start to grow back, which could present a problem later. I am something of a non-conformist, so I am proud to look different than the rest. 

11 hours ago, Lewdawg said:

I drive truck and am kilted most days..

I drove for nearly 16 years. I had a heart attack in March and while the cardiologist cleared me to drive  (I’m 39 and the heart cath showed no blockage or damage), I stay tired all the time now and can’t safely drive the 10-11 hours that companies expect. That said, I am so much more comfortable in a kilt as opposed to a pair of p@nt$ or shorts.