DJRay

Its Now Official! You Must Wear Underwear Under Yer Kilt!

Yea, rugby! My first kilt day was to a rugby game. I like it beter than American football, because the action doesn't have to stop with a tackle. Lots of injured stay playing.

Yea, rugby! My first kilt day was to a rugby game. I like it beter than American football, because the action doesn't have to stop with a tackle. Lots of injured stay playing.

American football is a bastardization of rugby. It was created because too many lads were getting hurt playing rugby. Buncha wimps. :laughing:

we have gone from wearing or not wearing "jocks" to how weak the football Jocks have gotten!

I agree on

1. Free Willy

2. Aussie Rules or AFL sucks

3. Rugby league is better (heaps better)

I tell people all sorts of different stories about why i need a hip replacement: (sport seemed to easy)

My wife wore it out,- people look shocked most blush

My wife beats me,- people dont believe me im not a small bloke

Im actually a very youthful and good looking 50 year old - some step back for a better look, then say your joking

tried to re write the karma sutra, big mistake- people laugh nervously some ask "and what happened"

I wear underwear most of the time, for reasons we don't need to go into in a public forum. When I'm at work, it just seems right to be double covered. When I'm not at work and the stars are right I will enjoy a regimental day though. But that's my choice. You don't get under my skirt, I won't get under yours.

I like to tell women "The rumor is true for me about 40% of the time... feelin' lucky?"

I wear underwear most of the time, for reasons we don't need to go into in a public forum. .............

I like to tell women "The rumor is true for me about 40% of the time... feelin' lucky?"

+1

• Like 1

I find it funny how the kilt or other MUGs have so much contoversy. I prefer the philosophy of 'to each his own' and I definitely do not understand all the mysticism that seems to go along with kilt wearing. Sometimes one needs to think about a certain amount of decorum and put on some underthings, well other times you don't.

I didn't wear a kilt for many years, because I thought that one needed to have an affiliation (clan) to wear a kilt. Since with age comes wisdom (well sometimes anyway) I realized that I like having an affiliation for the kilt I wear, but I don't require one.

My two cents, anyway.

Edited by PDParadis
  • Like 1

I prefer to go Regimental, it's just more comfortable. I'm very active with the Boy Scouts and I like wearing my Kilts on our activities. Now, I always wear underwear while I'm out in public because I don't want a strong wind to pull a Marylyn Monroe on me and get me branded as a sex offender. That would put an end to my 33-year Scouting career and no longer allow me to work with the program.

So, around the house, I'm free, but in public, I'm only slightly constrained. The Boy Scouts teach us to "Be Prepared" and part of that is to always dress in the appropriate way for the activity.

• Like 2

Truth be told, on school days, when kids are in the building I'm "safe." But, the nano-second they're gone, I'm "kilted" again! One of the "negatives" of teaching middle school; a strong breeze can be life changing!

Freedom!

:KILT:

Lead weights in my seams on modern kilts!

I had to look at this with my computer it didn't come up well on the phone. all I can say is oh my god, get some

hygiene lessons!

It doesn't say "shall", it says "should on most occasions". I'd suggest that if you are leaving skidmarks, then that means YOU. It's good that the option is still there "officially", so no one should feel like they're betraying the cause if they decide to wear underwear. For me, going commando is preferred.

Bottom line, the "authentic" kilt was approx. 5' x 12 (YES) yds. of woven material, no cuts, no sewing.  That was the entire wardrobe, no cuts, no sewing.  Where the hell would "underwear" have figured in THAT cultural scenario?  But believe, if a garment was introduced along the way that kept your junk from hanging up in the thistles & the nettles, would'ja' wear it, or not?

And, ah, if you're man enough to wear a kilt youre gentleman enough to not offend ladies & young children. 

On 7/24/2017 at 10:36 PM, Wil liam said:

Bottom line, the "authentic" kilt was approx. 5' x 12 (YES) yds. of woven material, no cuts, no sewing.  That was the entire wardrobe, no cuts, no sewing.  Where the hell would "underwear" have figured in THAT cultural scenario?  But believe, if a garment was introduced along the way that kept your junk from hanging up in the thistles & the nettles, would'ja' wear it, or not?

Actually the first kilts were no more than 4 yards or do double width. I would like to see documentation for a kilt 5 feet x 12 yards.

At risk of being shunned, I have actually worn a great kilt in both the 9 yard length of 58" wide, and 4 yard length of 58" wide with a joining seam down the middle. It rains in Scotland. Has since the beginning of time. 20oz wool weighs 60lbs wet-and I don't want to hear ANYONE say it sheds water. Blarney. As far as the underwear factor goes-think back to the days of not so daily hygiene--I mean, if you are in a damp environment, herding sheep or any outdoor activity for weeks on end, chances are you're better off avoiding what passes for an undergarment back then. It's not a culture thing, it's a common sense thing. Not to mention the lack of elastic--I have tried it a few times, and the blasted waist points, being dissimilar, are an annoyance in that they are constantly being pushed down. Long p@nt$ did exist, and, given the nature of common sense, would have been employed while riding horses, or other high contact activities--but with the same hygiene concerns.

Fruit of the Loom need to go to greater efforts to produce boxers in a wider variety of tartans. I don't like the fact that when I perform public duties I have to wear the nearest approximation. They don't make an exact match for either of the two tartans that I wear regularly. If anyone ever finds cotton or linen boxers in Maple Leaf pattern, I need to know about it.

Apologies, Mcmurdo, for not responding sooner.  I'd had a mid-1800's reprint of a massive report to the English king, re: His subjects to the North, their customs, habits, etc., that I cannot at this time lay my hands upon.  Been trying to locate whomever I may have lent it to.  My recollection was that the 12 yds. was from that book.  It had quite a long title, and I had a feeling as I was reading it that the author may well have been a sycophant courtier wanna-be, but all the best tales are grounded in truth.  (The book was among several prizes from the estate sale of an Edinboro University prof's library.)  When it turns up I will gladly report back with title, author, relevant years & quotes, as necessary.

Hoss, I'm not familiar with the natural qualities of native Scottish sheep's wool, but am with Jacob's & Merino.  Lanolin can be heavy enough to actually form teeney golden pellets on the wool.  Without lots of hot water and detergent to remove it (like in contemporary woolen garments) a significant degree of water repellency would be naturally built in.  Certain fragrances would also be retained, perhaps of no consequence in a shepherd's cot, but less appreciated in more refined social circles.  Who loses? 

I find it fascinating to read different preferences about wearing underwear under the kilt.  I mean it's good to keep the tradition going but the side for rental has a point if it's being returned in a condition that they can't even disclose. Still, I'm not much conflicted because I'm fine with going commando. 

I always wear underwear. Just habit. 

I was wearing a kilt in the 1940's as a boy in Scotland and so did my school friends. We all wore girls gym knickers as a matter of course. My sport was I ice skating so it was a sensible habit! Now the only thing I have done which is new is to sow in a 15 gram wheel balance weight in behind the corner of the front apron adjacent to the the silver citrine stone emblem. Just heavy enough to still let it fly up a bit - the under apron retains decency in today's PC world.

• Like 1

That's a good tip. I'll need to remember that 15 gram weight in the future. 

I wonder if one put a fishing weight on a blanket pin, would that work well?

100 percent yes! I just happen to have been tidying the garage.

• Like 1