IEScotsman

Hobbies and Extra Stuff

my newest hobby is spending as much time as possible trying to to figure out how to keep my kids entertained, fed, warm and educated all while staying sane and employed.

oh, and trying to perfect my skills as a standup philosopher.

If it was, it would be even colder, as 0c =32F

I will take -9C over -9F. -9C is +16F

Of course either way it is cold to someone like me that thinks a severe winter is anytime the temperature is below 60F.

I'm an amateur photographer. I did some pregnacy pics of my wife this year. I like to go hiking, camping, and kayaking. I also do a little leather work for my New World Celts Chapter. My next project is going to be a Targe for our chapter.

Can't wait to see the targe man!

I fiddle with wood.

First I will need to get the money together to get all the supplies that I will need and also I will need to get some of the tartan matterial from Mary to use for the sheild as well. Once that is done then it will only be a matter of time to put it together.

Where to begin?!!

I love to build things.

Woodworking

-Haven't done any "fine woodworking" lately, but it is tangential to a lot of home improvement projects

Metal fabrication

-4x4 parts and modifications, Bike racks, handrails, a few clotheslines, cartop roof racks (for kayaks/canoes), a couple of tube bumpers, skid plates

Sewing

-backpacks, kilts, Goretex ski bibs, mittens, fleece caps, jackets, a couple of PFD's, kayak throwbags and towline bags, kayak and raft drybags

Cooking--Thai, Mexican, and Cajun are some of my current favorite ethnic dishes to work on

Kayaking--started sea kayaking in 1997, whitewater in 1999, went boating 48 continuous months 2002-2006, and have done some really fun overnight trips, love tidal rapids and races, Class IV whitewater, and have made a ton of wonderful friends boating. Oh, and made 3 wooden sea kayaks, two skin-on-frame kayaks, and a couple dozen wooden paddles. I got seriously into Greenland-style traditional kayaking and learned about 20 different ways to roll, as well as making my own traditional garments (out of neoprene, not sealskin!)

Whitewater Rafting--a way to hit whitewater and have my 8yo and 10yo daughters join me, and have also taken my wife, in-laws, parents, aunts and uncles, and a lot of friends on rivers--who would never otherwise see them from a kayak.

4x4's--started as a way to get my (then) very young daughters out on the trail with me, then really started to enjoy the fabrication side. I built an 87 Toyota 4Runner on 3/4T full width Chevy axles and all the goodies, then a "Formula Toyota" which is a souped-up Toyota minitruck drivetrain in a spec tube chassis.

Amateur Radio--I enjoy the comms side and being able to supplement my 4x4 and boating hobbies with better communications techniques and equipment.

Also love cross-country and Telemark skiing.

I'm with KT on keeping my kids fed, warm and educated all while staying employed. Keeping them entertained is rarely a problem since I've learned to accommodate them in my hobbies, or let them take over and do things I love at their pace. Doing so keeps me sane!!!

Let's see, hobbies and other nonsense...

Coffee!,bicycling, rock climbing, hiking, photography, swimming in really cold water, travel, watching live music, pubbing (for the social atmosphere, not to get sloshed), driving my Subaru Forester, watching football (soccer!) and hockey, sitting at the top of mountain peaks with a beer enjoying the view, waxing philosophic, writing down those same stupid thoughts, kicking a footbag around with a group of friends, single malt scotch (I seem to prefer the Speysides), etc...

As a way of re-introducing myself, I've quoted myself from a few years ago...

I'll add the following: I've moved two towns over, gotten married (have two cats), have gone further off the deep end into ultra-endurance sports (running, cycling, swimming and triathlon), gone back to school to study web design. In the mean time I've travelled to Canada a few times, New Zealand, Honduras, Hawaii and most of the Western US. It's been a pretty cool 4 years! ;)

And here's a current "portrait"...

422473_10150520986906314_541011313_9300049_1199038813_n.jpg

Edited by Fueco

Sustainable living is my hobby, Raising rabbits, chickens llamas honey bees and gardening. Fresh food always. Grind my own grain for flour, roast my own coffee, Live as far off the grid as I can!

Much like you Donnie, food gardening, fishing, hunting, metalwork and oystershell mosaic jewerly, shifiting my emphasis to belt buckles.

I have a couple of hobbies with I'm not very good at:

Shooting

Hunting

Fishing

Photography

Bass Guitar

I collect guns, tarantulas, Tattoos, and books.

I've been in the Army for 11 years now(but I got hurt in Afghanistan and will be medically retired soon). I've made 44 static line jumps while in the Army from 4 diferent airplanes and 2 different helicopters and graduated from Jumpmaster School. Deployed 4 times(Kosovo, Iraq, 2x Afghanistan). I am a 12B Combat Engineer and have blown up my share of things. It was fun while it lasted.

I'm gonna go to Pennslyvaina Gunsmith School when I get out of the Army. Why not do something I like?

in the spirit of re-intro's....

what eats up my free time now is chasing kids. got three of them. ages 9, 6, and 3 (boy, boy, girl). the wee one is a handful. quite the princess, and i am completely wrapped around her finger. the oldest has been driving us bat-sh!t crazy for the past few years. things were getting worse there not long ago. he has severe ADHD and Aspergers and a couple of doc's think Autism (high functioning)... though i question what the doctors call "functioning". i recoiled at the ADHD diagnois cause it is so over-diagnosed. and yet, here it is. though i have always had and still have what i call "shiny object syndrome". we have tried him on several medications. and of course the one that finally works is new and non-generic... and of course this happens at the same time my company changes insurance plans so that we have to pay full price for medications.

and for the past 14 months, i've been serving on my church's council. and recently was elected to that council's executive staff. talk about seeing how the sausage is made. i wish i could see this has been a rewarding yet challenging experience that will leave me wiser and closer to my faith.... yeah, i *wish* i could say that.

however, despite all the "fun" i've had lately... i have really gotten back into my passion of photography. i've finally let go of film (though i still miss it) and have embraced digital. http://www.flickr.com/furrycelt

at least i am still wearing kilts full-time!

I sell auto parts for a living at the moment. It isn't fun really. So many people come in and treat me like a free mechanic, but in my free time I like to crack whips, and do a little bit of paracord crafting. I have been learning how to make whips as well. I have lots of other hobbies as well. Such as playing guitar, model cars, a little bit of gaming, and a bit of leather working.

Edit: Oh I almost forgot to mention I am a paranormal Investigator as well, and have my own team. We are small and don't have all the fancy toys, but we do the best we can.

Edited by Draven

Disabled Veteran / Biker

Medicaly retired CWO3(BOS'N) 2006 from USCG after 28yr carreer - Unemployable due to T.B.I. and physical injurys.

January 2012 Moved just outside the Outerbanks NC - brand new house,so still learning the house/painting rooms to give them

our personal touch. Also had a 25' X 28' barn built with a FROG(Finished Room Over Garage) 2 Car garage for My 2 Harley's and Workbench-shop. Barn is a gift from My 100% Scottish Wife.

Wife came over from Scotland after being stationed in Shetland Islands - Married 33yrs(this year 2012)- We have 2 dependants 32yr Son / 20yr Daughter

Service Officer in the D.A.V.(Disabled American Veterans), so I'm often riding 1 of my Harley's some place to volunteer at a

Veteran related destination.

Member of S.S.T. (Scottish Society of Tidewater) go to monthly meeting/often parties and represent the SST at local local fairs.

Sports

NASCAR - Fan for Keven Harvick and Dale Earnhardt Jr.

Collage football - Fan for "Crimson Tide" University of Alabama

I still can't post any picts in here so see my Facebook Tom Chenoweth

My hobbies are mostly iin the arts. #1 is music. I sing and play guitar, ukelele, banjo, and autoharp. I also play some mandolin and am learning bass. I work as the auditorium manager at a local high school, so I no longer consider theatre as a hobby. I volunteer my time at local folk music venues and music festivals. I also read, hike, camp, bicycle and enjoy road trips. I plan on playing music in at least 49 of the 50 states. And if I can in all 10 of Canada's provinces.

Wow. I've been here all this time, and somehow missed adding to this post.

I...

play acoustic guitar

practice the art of goat whackery (bodhran)

flyfish

own 3 Jeeps (TJ,WJ, XJ) (For those that don't speak the language, that's a 2000 wrangler, a 2000 Grand Cherokee, and a '98 Cherokee Sport)

cook

make wine

drink good beer

smoke hookah

travel with my wife (not necessarily abroad, there's just something about a small town and a nice b-n-b that swtdchwmbo enjoys, and i enjoy being there,or anywhere, w/ her)

like sharp pointy things

carve

camp

hike

flat water kayak,

among other things.

It seems like one of the things this group has in common, I tend to go all out or not at all. When i come up with some new adventure (read: hobby) my wife rolls her eyes and says "oh, no, here we go again"...

Seems like most of us are outdoor people. And it looks like we would be a fun group to hang out with...

Married for 14 years

3 children

Staff Sergeant of Marines. 0369 - Infantry Unit Leader at TOW Training Co. in Broken Arrow, OK

I am a Jeep enthusiast, but I've neglected this hobby for a few years.

I like PC games, but again, neglected it for a while.

I enjoy XBox time with my son.

I am finishing an Info Systems Security degree this May (finally)

Beginner bow hunter

I like to mountain bike, and will someday make the time to get on some singletrack again

I love to camp and fish, but with two teenage daughters objecting loudly and with many tears, most of the time it's just me and my 12 year old son.

Crossfit "cultist" ;)

Engaged for almost three years

1 kid (with my ex.)

I'm Romani hence the call sign Gypsy.

Sergeant of Soldiers. 11B- Infantry Squad leader and Combatives Instructor In Ft. Leonardwood, Mo

I'm a jeep guy with a Lifted bastardized CJ-7/YJ/TJ.

I'm currently winding time out of the military so I can go to school and come back.

Going to Scholl for Metalsmithing/Rock Climbing.

I Climb every weekend and have been known to do it in my kilt much to the disdain of onlookers.

I'm a very outdoorsy guys.

I've been kilted daily since about since about six months ago when I left active duty.

I have so many to list. I flit between interests depending on my mood.

Cooking (pastry, candies, charcuterie, etc)

Knife making

Blackwork embroidery

Hardanger

Bobbin lace

and many more to come :D

Jim

I enjoy offroad driving as much as I do with fishing. I have a couple of set of mud tires that I use on my 4x4 just sitting in my garage. I got most of them from 4WheelOnline. 

On 12/5/2007 at 10:47 AM, Doc Hudson said:

I can't believe that I've not already posted in this thread!!

My interests are rather varied, as it seems most of the folks here. Reckon being bored easily is a kiltman character trait?

At the moment, I'm nearly finished with an AA in Culinary Arts, and am looking for a decent job in the food service industry. I love to cook and really enjoy experimenting in the kitchen. I'm a pretty good camp cook and have fed nearly 100 people from a campfire and a couple of dutch ovens. Baking is my passion, and my Chicken in the Heather will make you hurt yourself.

I've been a gun crank since I was too small to get a good one hand grip on a Colt SAA. I had to severely think my collection during hard times a few years ago, but I still have a few that I don't get to shoot near as often as I'd like. Revolvers, especially single-actions, lever-action rifles, and double-barreled shotguns are my preferred toys. I've been a CCW permit holder for many, many years, and spend lots of time talking and writing (politicians and editors as well as on the internet) about the Right to Bear Arms.

I've dabbled in leatherwork since the late 1980's and have even sold a few items, mostly gunleather and saddlebags.

I am a voracious reader and accumulator of books. I recently donated nearly 4,000 books to the prison library and still have nearly that many in the house. My tastes are very eclectic and range from action/adventure to pulp fiction, to classics, to historical fiction and science fiction. My favorite writers are, in no particular order, H. Beam Piper, J.R.R Tolkien (I used to re-read the Lord of the Rings Trilogy every year), J.K. Rowling (I re-read the whole series every time a new book came out), C.S. Forrester, Robert Ruark, Peter Capstick, James Michener, Thomas Costain, Samuel Shellabarger, George MacDonald Fraiser, Harry Turtledove, Mark Twain, Elmer Keith, Paco Kelly, Kevin Gonzales, Anthony Hope and H. Rider Haggard. There are others, but they don't come to mind at the moment.

I also enjoy old movies, especially John Wayne movies, my all time favorite is probably The Quiet Man.

I spend entirely too much time on the computer annoying people here and a few other forums, and I spend lots of times acting as doggy doorman for our dogs Mattie, a Great Pyrenees, and Pepper, a Miniature Schnauzer.

I also used to do some beadwork. I made mostly earrings, and a few necklaces, I even made one beaded leather vest for my god-daughter. But I haven't done any beadwork in several years.

I'd like to call myself an aspiring writer, but truth is, I have 150 pages of ms and haven't been able to get my hero out of the railroad station at Devil's River, Texas for over three years. I've published a few short stories, most originally published on the now defunct Wyatt Earp Firearms Emporium and Mercantile website. For four years, I had a regular column and a question and answer column there.

I also attend church pretty regularly, but not enough to consider it a hobby or obsession. I did get drafted to teach adult Sunday school classes in the month of November, and got conned into doing one more Sunday on the Celtic Church, so I guess I need to start doing some research so as not to appear too ignorant.

the Quit man is my favorite John Wayne movie as well