Whitesmoke

Need Some Help

If you've made a sporran or done any form of leather work, please feel free to offer any and all advice. The sporran is currently too heavy for the cantle to stay in place and the leather in the back is pressing forward. I'm not even sure that I have everything attached correctly so if I've done it wrong please let me know. I realize that in one of the pictures the maille is hanging incorrectly and I'm not sure if that is the strap in the back pulling it the wrong way or if it's hanging wrong so I'm not too concerned about that, I'm mostly concerned about the way the back piece of leather is pushing forward. So if anyone has any ideas about how to fix this please offer your advice.

Thanks

Whitesmoke

IMG_1133.jpg

IMG_1134.jpg

IMG_1135.jpg

IMG_1136.jpg

IMG_1137.jpg

IMG_1132.jpg

The back leather is too thin. You need something more along the lines of a 12 oz. leather. Should be close to 1/4" thick. You can try to laminate multiple layers of the thin leather together but you'll need to bond them with cement in order to get any real structural benefit from it. After that you will have an "un-sitely" edge that you'll likely want to cover with a thin piece of leather.

awesome japanese chainmail and good box weave for wallet chain its cool you made that :)btw whats the ring info?

all I can say is wow. that looks amazing.

I was going to suggest a piece of scrap saddle skirting but you beat me to it cav. I would also suggest if I may adding a few more support points where the mail attaches to the leather, I count 8 from the photo I would suggest doubling that to 16 for more support and to spead the weight out more. I would also suggest that you double the width of the belt on the back or do a wide belt loop that a sporran strap or 1 1/2" belt can slide through.

Your leather is way too thin for the weight. If you have any more of the same piece, tripple the layers. Use contact cement and sew the edges. That may make it stiff enough to hold that mail. Whew!

So I guess I'll start with increasing the size of the back piece and see how that works.

Cavscout and Donnie: Thanks for the help

Madman: I'll look into it but I don't think I can add any more attachment points.

Fairdos: It's actually Jap 12-2 circlets w/ Byzantine web connections. Rings are Stainless Steel made form square wire. The large rings are 16G 5/16th's, the medium size rings are 18G 1/4 and the smaller rings are 18G 3/16th's.

So I guess I'll start with increasing the size of the back piece and see how that works.

Cavscout and Donnie: Thanks for the help

Madman: I'll look into it but I don't think I can add any more attachment points.

Fairdos: It's actually Jap 12-2 circlets w/ Byzantine web connections. Rings are Stainless Steel made form square wire. The large rings are 16G 5/16th's, the medium size rings are 18G 1/4 and the smaller rings are 18G 3/16th's.

Just to clarify my suggestion I was just using 16 as an example because I was looking at the spaces between the existing points using a single ring between the existing double ring, but I was looking at it from the leather working side not the chain part.

KP: Are you asking how much does it weigh? or how long will it take until I'm finished?

In regards to both answers, I have no idea how much it weighs, and I probably won't have this finished until the end of April.

Madman: After reviewing this post I realize now what you were talking about, however pretty much still impossible due to the nature of the weave I used but that may change. Again thanks for your input.

sorry for the misspelling how much does it weigh? It looks on the heavy side.

But a very nice job.