Skyesong

Good And Bad News

Back to the original topic. I think the idea that you MUST HAVE a store front is going away. The internet is obviously replacing that. From what I have found, those in some of the older generations before me have stuck to this idea. They WANT and NEED a store front. Which is ok. I have no problem with that. However, I think my generation is not moving away from it, but already has. When I look for a new product, I ALWAYS look on the internet first. It does not matter to me if they have a store front or not. I look on eBay, and purchase on eBay, a lot of the things I have.

Now, if it is something more expensive, like my home electronics, I might look for something local. Or, if I look online, I would look at a larger business with a store front.

Kilts, for ME only, do not fall in this category. I have spoken to ONE kilt owner about a kilt and that one ended up not fitting. I have two custom made kilts by Josh at SHO. I have NEVER spoken to him on the phone. I never thought twice about him not having a store front. If he was someone sewing a kilt in his basement, that was fine for me.

This my opinion, and I know others view it differently than me. However, looking at the way things are done now, I think store fronts will be a thing of the past for many types of businesses, but not not all.

Double post.

You're right actually to some degree. I can easily continue to run things as are, but its just a personal front. After years of growing, I felt it is like a natural progression-PLUS-I'm in the rental biz now, and that is growing steadily. Just time to give it a go and see what happens. I plan on starting my media blitz once situated in a store, and being a vendor at the games is REALLY going make things rock. I think it will be OK after the initial wave of upgrading gels out.

Let me ask a question of Rocky. I know you have a nation/worldwide clientele. How many of your repeat customers on the higher end items (kilts, more expensive sporrans, etc.) are folks like me that have been in your shop, or talked to you at Celtic Fling,etc? I've dealt with folks strictly through the internet, and had great success - Jerry at Stillwater comes to mind. But there is a certain comfort in dealing with someone whose hand you have shaken. I would bet that the Grand Opening party you had for your new place came close to paying for itself with sales that night, and moved into the plus column on repeat business from folks who came from up to a several hundred mile radius. It was almost a 2-1/2 hour drive for us, and well worth it.

Geoff Withnell

I'm really not trying to take this OT and make it about USAK... but to answer your question, I don't have any firm qualitative numbers, but I will say that we sell a higher percentage of Premier Packages and high end items in store than through our site. Not sure if that's due to comfort of the customer touching the product and being more confident or sales ability. ;)

DUP Post...

Edited by RockyR

I'm really not trying to take this OT and make it about USAK... but to answer your question, I don't have any firm qualitative numbers, but I will say that we sell a higher percentage of Premier Packages and high end items in store than through our site. Not sure if that's due to comfort of the customer touching the product and being more confident or sales ability. ;)

I was't trying to go ot either, I was trying to get a feel for how the new storefront might affect Skysong's business in a positive way. If the facility allows it at all, I would recommend having an open house like you did.

The open house in itself wasn't a huge money maker. More than anything, it was an excuse to throw a party and show off the new diggs. :)