paulhenry

New Tartan

24 posts in this topic

I received notification this morning of the entry of my new tartan into the Register, very pleased , and now I need to save up to get it woven!

but I really look forward to getting a few lengths to start on a kilt

Paul Henry Tartan

Paulhenrytartan.jpg

I received notification this morning of the entry of my new tartan into the Register, very pleased , and now I need to save up to get it woven!

Good for you Paul. Question the tartan register says: Tartan date: 10/03/1961 , is that an error? I saw, too, that it indicated you wanted the greatest possible pleating options, what are some of your prefered ways to pleat it?

The date isn't an error, but i wasn't sure if they would have accepted it!

I'm not sure about the pleating, I like the idea of the alternate colour tramlines, but I will enjoy the trials when I get around to ordering some....

that is a massive sett...looks GREAT!

That looks great. I'm waiting now to see a few different versions of the pleats!

I love it Paul, congrats! It's a handsome tartan.

it arrived this morning, and I'm delighted with the weave and the colours, Ithink I will just have to look at it fro a while before ripping it into kilt lengths!_MG_3477.jpg

thank you, the colours were chosen because I liked them,in much the same way that the orignal tartan colours were choosen, without any hidden meaning!

Outstanding tartan you created Paul, can't wait to see what you make it into.

Looks great in the flesh (as it were!)

Count me in on those who like the tartan. I look forward in anticipation to the finished product. I hope that we will get the pleasure of seeing the work in progress through one of your detailed photo narratives.

Looks great! Congratulations, Paul!

Thank you everyone, it's won't be much of a surprise to know that I have already started on a kilt some pictures on my kilt Facebook account http://www.facebook....139009916138226,

It's a public account so no passwords or sign ups are needed, but I can try and put a few on here as well.

( and feel free to "like" if you are a FB member!)

Edited by paulhenry

Finially finished the kilt, will get a few more pictures over the weekend I hope, but just a detail for now.

red hide straps , brass buckles, great lining from New York, and a family heirloom silver kilt pin_MG_3538.jpg

A picture from Boxing day , on a walk in Brighton, on the south coast of EnglandP1070665.jpg

Paul Henry Tartan

Paulhenrytartan.jpg

How much does it cost to have a tartan woven do you know?

How much does it cost to have a tartan woven do you know?

It can vary widely, depending on how much you get ,and who will weave it, there are only a few complanies who are prepared to weave small runs, and they tend to be trade only , but have a look at this site if you want to do it yourself, it will give you a good idea http://www.scotweb.co.uk/tartandesign/

they use the same weavers that I do, and the quality is very good.

Sorry i can't give exact figures, but there are so may variables, If you were a client of mine I would be able to work out the figures better.

Hej Paul,

looks like you had great weather in Brighton. The kilt looks fabulous.

I've been meaning to put this detail up for ages, it's the pleating arrangement,as it was a special tartan i thought it needed a special working out of the pleats, it has a narrow box pleat in the centre of the back, with 12 knife pleats either side, so a total of 25.I took a risk with making the box pleat sides so narrow, but as it's a been about the only kilt I've worn for the last few months it's holding up very well! I'm not sure however I'd make another with the kinguisse style though,I suppose I'm just used to sweeping the pleats of a normal kilt!

1-_MG_4390.jpg

Pleat edges at selvedge

2-_MG_4388.jpg

Edited by paulhenry

As always, a fine piece of craftsmanship Paul. Is it an optical illusion in the pic or is the center box pleat not have a uniform width?

It looks like the bottom of the pleat and the top below the fell are the same width but that it tapers towards the middle. All in all a nice kilt. I have a kingussie pleated kit myself and enjoy it very much. It was less of an investment than an 8 yard kilt, which met my budget, but looks sharp. Was the work involved in pleating the kilt akin to a knife pleated kilt or did it require more work?

I think it's just an illusion, the centre pleat was curving up for the photo but it is fairly uniform.This kilt was an 8.5 yard one, It was a little more work, but not really all that much, and once I got used to the different folding of the pleats things were fine!

Edited by paulhenry