Kilted-Marine

What Would You Do

Customer Service  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Here is the scenario - A customer purchased a size 50 kilt... I shipped a size 50 kilt... sometime between ordering and getting the kilt they realized that they really needed a size 46.. Customer refused the package and it was returned to me.. they emailed explaining that they refused it because they needed a different size and they were lucky they realized it before getting it so they did not have to pay for return shipping... they then ask me to ship out the CORRECT size when the package was returned.

I received the package today... I feel a little screwed because I am going to have to pay for a new kilt to be shipped out... so what do i do...

I would say eat it and save yourself some drama. And certainly put them on a BANNED list from future purchases. Some folks are just ignorant and should be left to their own devices. Sorry about your loss bud.

Too add, you might want to let them know that you feel what they did was not very cool as well. Just my 2 pennies.

I'm with Eric here. One disatisfied customer will badmouth you to 10 potential customers, which could ultimately cost you way more than the postage. However, you are under no obligation to sell to him again.

Agree with my two previous brothers' replies.

Accommodate the client, this time, but make it very clear that the error was his: you filled the order precisely as originally specified.

That customer's actions would be like boarding a Bahamas Cruise ship, getting half way to the isles, and then realizing you really wanted to be on an Alaskan Cruise. "Oh Captain...."

I agree. Eat it on this one. You may want to look into your return policy, and make sure it states that postage will be paid by customer, unless it is due to error on the part of the Store. Or something like that....

That's a bummer! I agree with the above. Eat the cost of the shipping and rework your return policy to your satisfaction.

I hate to say it, but I have seen firsthand what can happen when someone gets vocal about service or product, and have to agree with the above.

Modifing your return policy, specifically outlining this type of issue and how you want to handle it in the future, is a great idea. I'm sure it will eventually lead to your policy list becoming quite long but you will at least be covered.

Besides, You can put the 50 up for sale on the custom page, and you should still be able to sell it.

I am glad i put this to the brotherhood... I know the best solution is to just ship out the other kilt BUT I have to tell you that the customers emails really PI$$ED me off - the total lack of understanding that they were costing me money.

MY NEXT QUESTION - I usually mail everything 2-3 day priority.. should I just mail it lowest cost to me????

Require customer to pay for return shipping.......seems to me that your already offering good customer service by replacing the kilt when it was the customers fault when ordering (how do you not know what size you are?) and the comment "I refused the package so I wouldn't have to pay return shipping" christ, how cheap can a person be........

The order has already been delayed so I'm sure an extra day or three isn't going to be painful for the customer. You ship it however you want to ship it. If it were me I'd ship the most cost effective route so when you eat the cost it won't be as much. You're not in business to lose money. This "customer" is taking advantage of your current policy so I'm sure you won't suffer again after modification. Hopefully people like that are few and far between. Seems like it's not worth it trying to fight it. Good luck, brother.

I am glad i put this to the brotherhood... I know the best solution is to just ship out the other kilt BUT I have to tell you that the customers emails really PI$$ED me off - the total lack of understanding that they were costing me money.

MY NEXT QUESTION - I usually mail everything 2-3 day priority.. should I just mail it lowest cost to me????

I would ship his order using the slowest, cheapest means available. You have already went above and beyond working with this chump.

I agree with the above.

Lets just hope the person is not a member here.

When I ordered my first FC kilt it arrived and was too big. I checked the return policy on the website and did exactly as it said and a new, properly fitting kilt was in my hands within a week.

The policy is not rocket science:

Returns

There are two ways to do a return or exchange

1. Send the item back with a note explaining what you need along with $10 to cover return shipping. If the item is in stock we will ship it right out, if it is not in stock we will put it on back order and ship it when it arrives

2. Purchase the item you need online and return the exchange item with a note asking for a refund - Please include the original order number

Returns must be made within 30 days

Exchanges must be made within 60 days

Mark, I say you eat it this time but make sure you let the customer know exactly what the results of their actions were and also make sure they understand that you are going above and beyond by not charging them the shipping again.

I agree with the above.

Lets just hope the person is not a member here.

Im with you, but I'm pretty sure our brothers would not be such asshats, so it can't be. But, if it turns out to be, then maybe they'll see the light... ;0)

I certainly would not feel obligated to ship it other than the cheapest rate and not Priority, since you are admitedly dealing with a pain in the butt I would likely send it with some type of delivery confirmation. This customer might be the type to claim non receipt and demand a new kilt. This stuff irritates me no end, because when someone does have a legitimate grievance or issue it gets overly scrutinized because of people like this. I recently saw where a merchant had offered free shipping and admitedly they erred on excluding certain bulky items. Someone ordered a few cases of Irn Bru and complained when they had to pay a shipping charge. The merchant sucked it up and really took a bath in shipping the product. The customer exalted publicly in pulling this off. I would never have done that, and I would not have messed over a merchant like that.

I want to mention, there is a possibility that the customer thought that if they refused the shipment, you would get your shipping cost back. Perhaps the large uber sellers of stuff shipped by other carriers have that, heck if I know, but there is a chance they didn't know it would cost you. Not saying that is what happened, but it is possible.

Use the cheapest, slowest service you can find, and require a signature. That way you KNOW they got it, & there's no way they can pull a shifty. Your returns policy as I read it above already states that you require $10 for shipping on the replacement, so this bloke already is bragging that he pulled a scam on you. I'd name & shame him anywhere you can. Maybe it will stop other vendors being stung by this prick.

While I do agree with what others have posted, I do think that you need to be compensated for the issue since it wasn't your mistake with the sizing of the kilt, it was his. I think you should charge him a restocking fee, at the least, to help cover a bit of your own expense.

If it had been your mistake, then I would definitely have said to eat the cost and make him happy, but he f'd up and needs to understand that there is a small cost to making such mistakes.

Restocking fee good idea Pain.

Why do people have to try to mean and cheap about stuff?

I have ordered two kilts recently that the inventory count was off on the web site. Did I get mad about it no.

both sellers have been good about making sure I am getting what I ordered or a second choice because have no idea when the first choice will be back in stock. I have other things to get upset about.

Mark let us know if yo want what you did?

I will be ordering something from you in the future.

I am 99.999% sure they are NOT a member here. I am going to ship the replacement and suck it up... here is the catch.... I do not have the tartan in the size they need... Oh well will have to get it on order. I am fairly sure this person is not even thinking about My cost for doing the return.. I do not think they are trying to get over... I just think they are not thinking

I have only once in 6 years refused a return - That was to a member of another place and I refused the refund because they were rude, swore at me and threaten to Bad mouth me... We both keep our word... I did not take the Kilt back and they bad mouthed me... I guess at least we were both men of our word...lol

If your return policy is as quoted above, then it is very straight forward. Charge him the $10. That's your stated policy. If he got out of paying the return postage, that's his benefit. But, it's his mistake, not yours.

Now that I see your policy, I would change my vote to charge him the $10 shipping.

Yep same.