Campbell

Texas Highland Regiment

Hey if any of you are in Texas (DFW more specifically) and are interested in putting together a Highland Regiment / Honor Guard please let me know. My goal here is to initially put a unit together which at first would serve for funeral services and patriotic / Scottish events as a member of an Honor Guard with American military influences. If / as membership grows I want to expand the unit into serving as a legitimate regiment under the 2nd Amendment. If anyone is interested please let me know. I have a particular idea in mind on how I want to handle this thing however, I need input.

As far as providing services, the first rule of course is that BOTK members would be served in death for free.

Thank you,

Donald R. Bates, CAPT

while I'm not there I think it is an AWESOME idea!

while I'm not there I think it is an AWESOME idea!

Thank you!

Hey I met a guy that had designed a clan badge for the BOTK at the Highland Games in Arlington, Texas and in fact had a few for sale. Why not post these items on here?

Hey if any of you are in Texas (DFW more specifically) and are interested in putting together a Highland Regiment / Honor Guard please let me know. My goal here is to initially put a unit together which at first would serve for funeral services and patriotic / Scottish events as a member of an Honor Guard with American military influences. If / as membership grows I want to expand the unit into serving as a legitimate regiment under the 2nd Amendment. If anyone is interested please let me know. I have a particular idea in mind on how I want to handle this thing however, I need input.

As far as providing services, the first rule of course is that BOTK members would be served in death for free.

Thank you,

Donald R. Bates, CAPT

My vision at first is everyone wears their family tartan with only the sporran, hose and doublets regulated until a significant quorum exists to vote on a tartan. I've been researching some alternatives to the $300+ for a doublet and have found them for $169 which is cheaper than using the police Ike Jacket someone suggested to me before. (Those are $179 from Marlow and White).

In any case, the first 5 people would be drilling to do colour guard ceremonies. As the group grows, the idea would be to have 6 more for pall bearer duty and hopefully pipers and drummers on board as it progresses. The end result would be the vision of an entire Regiment of Highlanders marching behind the bands looking sharp and wonderful. A curriculum would need to be developed for rank progression. The alternate side of that is of course the duty the State of Texas, the United States and in times of need et cetera. For now though let's face it, who wouldnt just want to look awesome? Who wishes when they see a fully uniformed Pipe Band that they were somehow part of it instead of standing around with your iPhone taking a picture? lol.

KT...you of course would be the honorary Colonel-In-Chief!

What is an example of a "legitimate regiment under the 2nd Amendment" formed in this manner in recent times? Thanks

Thank you!

Hey I met a guy that had designed a clan badge for the BOTK at the Highland Games in Arlington, Texas and in fact had a few for sale. Why not post these items on here?

Please send me a message with more info about that. The BotK logo is trademarked by me, and the only legal BotK kilt pins / badges come from me directly.

What is an example of a "legitimate regiment under the 2nd Amendment" formed in this manner in recent times? Thanks

AHA! That would be a perfect example and reason to do it! There has not been one formed recently.

I do however cite the Texas Constitutionally Authorized Militia under the Governor of the State of Texas and the Department of Public Safety is the Texas State Guard (not to be confused with the Texas National Guard).

Legal but not well liked is the Texas Militia itself. Has every right to exist however it is not an official entity of the State Military as guaranteed by Texas Law.

The second amendment itself grants the right to every citizen to form a well regulated militia...a lot of people have a bad taste in their mouth when you use the word militia however, when you get a group of men together in a uniform carrying flags and rifles...you have to categorize that...so there you go.

Reminds me of the "Morris Guards" that existed here in Atlantic City and fought as a unit in the Spanish-American War. For WWI, however, members were dispersed throughout the regular army.

Here in CT we have 4 state militia units, 1 of which is entirely ceremonial, the other 3 are largely ceremonial. Two are foot guard regiments and two are horse guard regiments. We are currently in a budget battle over the possible merging of the two horse guard regiments. However the proponents of keeping both special argue that they are trained as military police and can be called out in emergencies, yet they were not mobilized at all for the Hurricane.

As for the Ike jackets, if you want a very low cost alternative quartermaster uniforms used to have one for around half that. I don't see it on their website but I will check to see if I have a paper catalog at home and get you info. They only had it in one color, midnight navy, but it was inexpensive because it was their house brand Lawpro. I have thought of buying one to wear with a kilt for quite a while.

I don't know how you would go about getting a new unit recognized. A few years ago I met some veterans that were trying to get a new group off the ground called the American Volunteer Reserve. It was going to be mostly Army Veterans and the overall goal was to eventually become a recognized auxiliary force like the Coast Guard Auxiliary. They were going to take non veterans in also as well as make some allowances for public safety personnel to advance in rank or carry over rank. I don't know what ever happened to the group.

Edited by AFS1970

Well the militi aspect is long term. I have been doing some research into the involvement of the Scottish at the Alamo, whih everyone knows is like the "Temple Mount" of Texas. Turns out the greatest scottish/legend of the Alamo was John McGregor who, alongside Davy Crocket batteled it out musically with the Mexican Army Band playing bagpipes and the fiddle. In fact, the legend has it the Mexicans heard in the final hours, the scots singing, "Green grow the rashes, O!"

The primary drive and focus would just be to at first put together a purely ceremonial unit.

I have also designed a rough draft of the logo/cap badge for this unit. Tell me what you think please:

THG.jpg

THGbluebackground.jpg

The elements here are the Saint Andrew's Cross, the star of the State/Republic of Texas, a wreath to serve as a reminder for all who perished, the image of John McGregor piping at the Alamo and finally the motto, "Green Grow the Rashes..." to serve as a reminder of the defiance to an enemy.

Overall, I like the idea behind your badge, however, I'm not sure about the motto. Most Texans would be lost on the significance of the frase. And I'm pretty sure most Texans wouldn't know a "rash" if they saw one. Is the word is too close to something unpleasant to be taken seriously?

:wavey: Welcome Aboard!!

Overall, I like the idea behind your badge, however, I'm not sure about the motto. Most Texans would be lost on the significance of the frase. And I'm pretty sure most Texans wouldn't know a "rash" if they saw one. Is the word is too close to something unpleasant to be taken seriously?

Agreed and noted.

Just some thoughts on this project, as it is very interesting, I am not trying to be overly critical.

Is there a need for another ceremonial unit where you are? All branches of the military, nearly all veterans organizations and most public safety agencies already have their own. Many St. Andrew's (or other Scottish) societies also have their own. I would hate to see all the effort go into reinventing the wheel. Especially since this group is likely to have a large crossover with such other organizations, that when the solemn duty arises, will there even be room for yet another honor guard?

If my first point has any validity, is the goal of doing the ceremonial unit first the best way? Perhaps the militia unit first and then the ceremonial unit which might be needed for members. This is not to say that the militia unit can not have a dress uniform and march in parades prior to having a full on ceremonial unit. You mention marching behind pipe bands, but would you end up looking at having your own pipers? Would the existing bands allow you to march with them? I know in my area parade organizers often separate similar units to keep the sense of variety going, but this means two kilted units marching under their own banners might not be close enough for the pipes to be heard by the marchers?

I looked and could not find the uniform catalog, but I know there are a couple of low cost Ike jackets out there. However, while I think they might look nice with the kilt (never having tried it myself) be prepared for the inevitable criticism if your uniform is not exactly up to others idea of what it should be. Also be prepared for folks that want to join but not follow even the least restrictive of uniform regulations. When I marched with my St. Andrew's society color guard, the only rule was you had to have a jacket and hat. We were an odd mix of Prince Charlies and Argyles, of Glengaries and Balmorals, yet still there was always someone who showed up without the hat or some other such thing that made the group look even more out of place. All attempts by a few of us to make even a simple uniform were seen as trouble making.

All in all I like your idea, and can't wait to hear of your progress.