Mike In Dayton

Utilikilt's New Design

This was brought up in another thread so rather than highjack that one I am starting a new one on Utilikilts new product. For those on Facebook Utilikilt has posted a few pictures of their new design. The new design has not shown up on their website yet. It appears they are still working on the photos and text for the main site. I suspect they will have something up in a few days.

For those on Facebook have you seen the new design? The "cod piece" version has pleats all around with a very thin strip not much wider than the pleats in the middle of the front. The standard Utilikilt "V" layout of the snaps is still there. The thin strip up the middle widens into a "V' shape for the snaps. They have a wider apron version too. Also the pleats only go up to the fell line. From the fell up to the waistband is solid cloth all the way around, no pleats. It also sounds like this does not have the kilt like wrap around design. You step into it then the snaps provide a fly like closure. They need pictures of of the closure system which I am sure they will have when this gets to the main site.

The design appears to go back to the first Utilikilt that was not a wrap around design.

They are venturing more into the MUG design with this version.

Mike

that doesn't sound like an item I would like. Then again, I hope to order my first 'modern' in the next month or so, but still...

I personally think it looks like a skirt with a stupid arrow pointing to my junk. I like a cargo kilt with more of a full front apron to it. The peats all the way around just looks tacky..lets leaveskirts to women and KILTS TO THE REAL MEN!!!!!!!

I have more Utilikilts than any other single brand. I have a Mocker, an Original (well, maybe not really original, but the 2007 version), and two Workmans in my collection (also an AlphaKilt from before they went sideways, an RKilt hemp, a couple of Stillwater kilts, a Sportkilt, one me mum made for me, and one of the newer BotK kilts from Frugal Corner.

For "something to replace je@n$," I prefer the UK straight apron. Seeing these images of a newer design is going to turn me away from them. That apron is WAY too narrow for me. Yuck.

This prompted me to look around at the site a bit, and I noted that they now offer a pinstripe black vest to go with their pinstripe black mocker. To top (or bottom) it off, they are offering SPATS in the same material! I can sort-of see the vest/Mocker combination for some wearers, but those spats are fugly. I never thought of spats as going with anything but long troo$er$, anyway. Leggings (as opposed to spats) as part of a military uniform are very different, as are puttees. Of the three, though, puttees make some sense with kilts worn in brush country, and at almost no other time. The other two would just look weird, in my not so humble opinion.

I know, kilts look weird to the unimaginative, and saying that the UK spats look weird begs the question of whether I'm being unimaginative. Still...

I've never made any secret of the fact that I'm a traditionalist when it comes to kilts, but that THING doesn't fulfill ANY of the basic requirement of the description. Pleats all round, no apron to speak of, & no wrap-around... that's a MUG. Sell as a MUG, fine... sell it as a kilt & it's false advertising. Besides, it's damned ugly.

Besides, it's damned ugly.

Especially this part. I understand your point about contemporary kilts, and accept it as valid for you. I happen to like them as an alternative to the jeans that were until I found them my standard day wear.

We are in solid agreement on the ugliness of this design. My mother used to say of such ugly clothing that she "wouldn't wear that to a worm-wrestle." This example fits her idiom.

Hats off to their marketing for their success, but I think UK has been over hyped and over priced for awhile. I had an Original in my early days of kilting and sold it off. I think you can find kilt makers who are official merchants here and kilt makers who frequent this board who make equally, if not better, product at better prices. Plus they are, often, custom made. I wore my 4 yard box pleat in Buchanan Modern Hunting this morning to Church (I definitely like my traditional kilts) but am comfortably lounging and have been playing with my dogs in my AltKilt classic this afternoon.

Clearly not a chance in hell you'd ever catch me in that new design, I can't stand it.

Those of us that wear the kilt on a regular basis, be it traditional or contemporary, will find this new style to be unacceptable. I hope Utilikilt will keep the current line otherwise they will alienate many of their prior customers. If not, there are plenty of other contemporary kilt makers that can take their place. Time will tell if this design brings in enough new customers to warrant the change. It would have to be a new breed of customers that want to venture into MUG territory.

Mike

That's a thumbs down! When I first looked at it I though "skirt." I have both traditional and contemporary kilts, including a Utilikilt original. I echo what others said above: too many pleats and not enough apron.

it looks like it opens on the left.are we sure its not a skirt(i hate to call it a mug even)?

Actually it looks like it opens to the right

Actually it looks like it opens to the right

to me it looks like a flap on the front will unsnap if you pull up, only having to lift that instead of the entire kilt to pee or for whatever other purpose one might have. I don't like it.

<Stepping outside my role as a Merchant here>

I try to not comment on other business products ...BUT...

This seems to be a big departure from the UK Style....Seeing pleats in front reminds me too much of somebody wearing their kilt backwards and the V style front draws your eye right to the - Well you understand... and the sewing in the back makes it look like a long butt crack....

everyone knows I love my UK survival. As a consumer of their product, not the founder of this brotherhood, I don't like the new design as a kilt. Now it that center "apron" was of some other color or material, it might be far cooler.

regardless I am certain there is a lot of folks who will love it and I hope it sells like gangbusters.

When I first started wearing kilts I wanted one but the small fron apron put me off. Then the prices skyrocketed and I said forget it. maybe I'll find a mocker at the Goodwill or St. Vincent's someplace. Now I think I'll just skip it altogether unless its ahnded to me for free. This new one-I'd probably hand it back. I do however really miss their commercial contests.

Fugly is right. I love Utilikilts but this is a fail. I do like the smaller pleats though. I would like to see that with their usual apron width. I'd like that. This looks ridiculous.

They did confirm in comments on FaceBook that this kilt named "new standard" is just another model in the line up. The Utilikilts we all know are still available.

Mike

I do like it! Never enough pleats for me. I have a couple of the original utilikilts and have always liked them better than the wrap around ones as it dont fly open and show off things you dont want to! LOL with a closed system you need more pleats to be sure of as much freedom of movement as you can get.

I don't mind this new style but it's not for me. If it attracts more people to the kilt though it would be a success. when I first looked at it it seemed to be put on backwards. The "V" looks like a thong. Power to Utilikilts anyway.

Now it that center "apron" was of some other color or material, it might be far cooler.

Actually, the front apron or the cod piece (their description) can be replaced or exchanged with other colors.

From Facebook: "We offer two fly closures: the classic rectangular Neo-Traditional apron front or the new warrior-style Cod Piece front. Both fronts are completely detachable, interchangeable and independently purchasable."

I seem to recall seeing a pic of the grey kilt with a black apron attached instead. Probably on Flickr. Prior to the official announcement of the new style, I was surfing around and saw pics on that site. When I posted my discovery on the Facebook Utilikilts page, they took the pics off Flickr.

Edited by Superflymaxpower

As for the fly closure and whether it opens from the right or left, maybe this helps:

302580_10150328818781536_134981546535_8524765_757845669_n.jpg

You pull it up, then snap the front on. It looks like there's only a small connection in the front, I wonder if I could cut that and just wrap it around without having to slide it up. Of course, I would only unsnap one side, leave the others connected all the time. Then it would wrap like the rest of their models.

I have to confess, I like the new design and the new Cod Piece. I have some concerns about how it will feel/wear and I would like to know how that even narrower "apron" falls. Guess, I'll just have to take a trip to Seattle to try one out. :D

Edited by Superflymaxpower

I don't think that is open as it would appear. It looks like the two sides are only fastened at the top with that little section of stitching. I think what you are actually looking at is a deep under pleat. I don't think you are looking at the back side of the garment. If that was actually open as it looks that little "cod piece" would not cover anything up that needs to be covered.

Mike

After seeing the photo without the cod piece it looks like a skirt and not a kilt. Even if I had a chance to get one I wouldn't, due to having balance problems I would end up busting my butt trying to put it on.