Brotherhood of the Kilt - www.KiltsRock.com UTKilts Highland Moon Quality Scottish Products NeoKilt

Photo

Custom Cap Badges

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Críostóir

Críostóir

Posted 31 October 2011 - 06:42 PM

So, not exactly things I made myself, but did get my two new custom cap badges today.

Posted Image

The first one's a custom maltese cross for my department to wear with a uniform shirt or jacket. I went back and forth between this and a "starburst", but ultimately decided on the maltese because it's very similar to our department patch and because the starburst isn't as common for fire departments around here. The center seal is the Great Seal of California, which is also in the center of our shirt badges. I went with an all-silver color scheme so that it wouldn't stand out as much and because most of the regimental cap badges I've seen seem to be fairly monochrome.

Posted Image

The second one's a more generic one with the Gaelic "fir na tine" and it's translation. The crossed hose reminded me of the strap and buckle used on clan badges, but with a unique fire service twist. Green lettering and the shamrock for my Irish heritage, of course.

#2 Geoff Withnell

Geoff Withnell

Posted 01 November 2011 - 07:51 AM

So, not exactly things I made myself, but did get my two new custom cap badges today.

Posted Image

The first one's a custom maltese cross for my department to wear with a uniform shirt or jacket. I went back and forth between this and a "starburst", but ultimately decided on the maltese because it's very similar to our department patch and because the starburst isn't as common for fire departments around here. The center seal is the Great Seal of California, which is also in the center of our shirt badges. I went with an all-silver color scheme so that it wouldn't stand out as much and because most of the regimental cap badges I've seen seem to be fairly monochrome.

Posted Image

The second one's a more generic one with the Gaelic "fir na tine" and it's translation. The crossed hose reminded me of the strap and buckle used on clan badges, but with a unique fire service twist. Green lettering and the shamrock for my Irish heritage, of course.

Those are awesome! If you didn't diy, where did you get them?
Geoff Withnell

No longer subject to reveille Marine

"My comrades, they did never yield, for courage knows no bounds."

#3 Críostóir

Críostóir

Posted 02 November 2011 - 11:18 PM

Those are awesome! If you didn't diy, where did you get them?

Both are made by Smith and Warren, which is one of the major badge manufacturers for police and fire badges. I ordered them through Chief Supply, which is where I usually get my badge wallets and some other uniform accessories. The department one required a copy of my ID card and an approval letter on department letterhead to order, of course.

#4 AFS1970

AFS1970

Posted 03 November 2011 - 12:11 PM

I really like the second one, I thought the hose was reminiscent of the strap and buckle also. I have never seen a shamrock centerpiece before, which is kind of cool. What kind of backing did you use, the standard pin one? I had adapted a regular hat badge to this purpose once but it was not entirely successful with the screw post.

#5 Críostóir

Críostóir

Posted 05 November 2011 - 06:50 PM

I really like the second one, I thought the hose was reminiscent of the strap and buckle also. I have never seen a shamrock centerpiece before, which is kind of cool. What kind of backing did you use, the standard pin one? I had adapted a regular hat badge to this purpose once but it was not entirely successful with the screw post.

I hadn't either, but S&W has it as an option in their "online badge builder" program. They actually had quite a few centers I hadn't seen before (including the monochrome state seal).

The backing is a standard pin like on a shirt badge. I'd tried my regular badge on the Glengarry before I ordered these and it's pretty much just the right size to sit in the notch of the rosette. It doesn't have to pierce the fabric at all, it just slips behind the front piece of the ribbon material. It can slide up and down about a 1/4 to 1/2 an inch, but that's not really an issue since the weight of the badge keeps it down, and the notch keeps it centered.

The "Brotherhood of the Kilt" logo is a registered trademark of SimpleSage, LLC, and may not be used without express written permission.
This website and all its contents © 2005-2012 SimpleSage, LLC and/or the original poster unless otherwise noted. All Rights Reserved.