KiltedTexan

Making A Sporran

Any pointers? im going to be looking at getting a couple of pelts, not sure what animal, but i want to make myself a day sporran. let me have any advise you have. im going to need it.

What should i use to secure it closed, and should i use something as a form or just shape it with my cuts of the pelts?

work hard on you first knowing your first good sporran will most likely be your third finished.

work hard on you first knowing your first good sporran will most likely be your third finished.

Explain this one i might just be tired from the day and its going over my head

would it be easier to make a sporran out of a pelt with the mask still attached or a regular pelt?

it means don't expect perfection right out of the gate. I tried my hand at sporran making, and I'm sure you can see how that worked out. Be patient with yourself and go slow until you get it figured out.

Any other advice from anyone?

There are a couple of nice patterns in the book "So you are going to wear the kilt" by J. Charles Thompson. If you get stuck and have a question, PM me and we will try to work you through it.

What kind of thread would you recommend? High tensil strength thread or a small leather cord? for sewing the two pieces of pelt together?

is there a Tandy leather works near you? If so they have everything you need. Black waxed thread is a good start.

is there a Tandy leather works near you? If so they have everything you need. Black waxed thread is a good start.

not sure on a tandy leather works, but we do have plenty of hobby lobby stores, they should have that.

What should i look for in a pelt? I know since im going to need 2 different ones im going to have make sure they are similar. but what else?

If you can get hold of some of the thread the army uses to stitch stuff together, that is really good stuff. It will cut your finger open before you can break it.

If you can get hold of some of the thread the army uses to stitch stuff together, that is really good stuff. It will cut your finger open before you can break it.

Any idea what kind of string that would be, or where i can get my hands of some?

whats a good price for a badger pelt?

No idea really where the company got its supplies from. Its military so check for sites that sell military gear. We made hydration packs, sawgunners (ammo bags) and a couple of other things.

Step 1. Buy Pelt (check)

You have internet access, so take a few minutes and cruise around and see the materials and methods that others have posted, then start making a few. Have fun on your quest.

http://ssa.nls.uk/film.cfm?fid=0958

http://www.troop7.net/Resources/6.%20Modern%20Sporran%20Pattern.pdf

http://www.werewolf.ca/LIBRARY/Formal_Sporran_Pattern.pdf

Good stuff Mark. The instructional video is awesome!

Looking at the pelt and its size im thinking that im going to make the sporran about 8 3\4" deep by 7 1\2-7 3\4 wide. does that sound to big or about right? I'm going to keep it simple so it is going to be more squared than round but with the fur and stuff the shape might not matter. let me know if i need to think smaller with the size though.

I made two out of rabbit fur and deer skin. had it close at the top with a leather strap and had the flap(rabbit fur) close with a knot and loop meathod. They were for two members of my chapter and that is what and how they wanted it made. I used two peaces of deer skin a front and back to make the pouch part of the sporran and then attached the rabbit fur after I cut it to size to the pouch.

All hand sewn and it was tuff to go through multiple layers of leather. I used the artificail sewen to sew it together. Probly won't make another one unless it is for me.

Did you buy two pelts for front and back, or are you using a tanned leather (chrome tanned) for the back?

Minimizing the amount of fur you're working with might make your first attempt easier. Fur is messy and not as easy to stitch without tangling the thread as smooth leather.

Square might sound easier, but isn't much different.

Corners can be as difficult as making the gusset match the front/back on a round sporran.

Round is a bit more common.

I got one big pelt and cut out what I needed. I asked them how they wanted it to look and went with it. It was my first time using nothing but leather and second time of making a sporran. My fisrt time I used clothe. They choosed the fur and the skin and wanted the body made out of deer skin that was predyed black and each picked out a single rabbit pelt of their liking. I just cut the deear skin a little larger than they wanted for the dimentions and sewn the edges together then pulled it inside out so that the stiches were on the inside. They also wanted it to close at the opening so I cut small holes around the top and thread a strip of leather through them so that they can pull it and close the top. Then they also wanted the rabbit fur to drap over like a flap and be able to be secured down. For that i took a small peice of deer skin and sewn it onto the pouch with a strip of leather looped through and made a knot from another strip of leather and sewn it to the rabbit skin so that they can loop the leather loop over the knot and pull on the loop and it will secure the flap down. I even put some heavy items in it to make sure it would hold up. And I am talking about stuff you wouldn't have in your sporran. Either way they both love them. So I am going to make me my own dress sporran with fur as soon as I can get the matterials together. But I am not going to use deer skin I am thinking of maybe something thicker, maybe even some tooling leather and do a design on it. Who knows.

Celtic Wolf, sorry, I was asking the "two furs" question of the OP, who I believe was thinking needed a fur for the back panel as well as the front?

Celtic Wolf, do you have any photos of the sporrans you created?

I love the look of the "dual purpose" sporrans I've seen with a removeable top flap of either fur/full mask and a 2nd flap of tooled leather.

If the deer skin you used had a nice tan to it, it might make a great casual/day sporran by itself? I've got a local saddlemaker I've traded for tooling leather, and can get a lot of sporran-sized scraps. If you're interested in a trade of tooling leather for some of your deerskin, let me know!!! :)