KT

What Is Your Least Favorite Word Or Phrase?

what word or phrase just pisses you off ( NOT a curse word, mind you ) when someone says this to you?

For me, when someone tells me "I'm done". I can't stand it when someone attempts to absolve themselves of responsibility or whatever task is facing them just because they want to.

what is it for you?

( remember, this is NOT a curse or swear...)

For me it's the phrase "More than one way to skin a cat". First and foremost it is offensive to me as a cat lover because I could never hurt any animal that way. Secondly it brings back a very bad memory. About 21 years ago, I did a "ride along" with a police officer and we went to a call where we found someone had found the remains of a cat. that had been skinned. We took it to animal control who performed a necropsy and informed us that the poor thing had been alive when this done. Imagining how that poor creature would have suffered is enough to bring tears to my eyes and hearing that phrase brings back the memory of seeing of those awful remains.

"that begs the question"

It gets misued so often, I hate to hear it. Many use it to mean "that raises the question" and that is not correct.

If I were to say "Let's go to lunch." the question that has ben begged is "Would you like to go to lunch?" The statement implies the answer to the unasked, or begged question.

The question "where would you like to go to lunch?" could logiallcy be the next question asked, but it's answer is not implied in the statement, so it has not been begged.

I want to be clear, I am only mildly annoyed with the people do not know how to use the expression,

what pisses me off is my internal struggle to not de-rail the meeting I am in and explain the error, and the correct usage to everyone in the room. I am always so inclined to do that, but there is no way to do it with exposing what an ass I am. By the time I have fought off the urge, I am completely off-topic in my head, and have to refocus on whatever the meeting or conversation was actually about. And I react that way every time, I just can't let it go.

"What do you think of this tattoo?" It's almost always followed by "my mate did it for me". As a professional, seeing these buckets of crap is painful enough, without thinking of the attendant health risks. Aside from that, what I think is irrelevant. If they are happy with it themselves, then that is all that matters, so I can only assume they are seeking my validation because deep down they know it's terrible, & if they can get a tattooist to ok it, they can fool themselves about their lack of judgement, .

I cant stand "Whatever" and if the eyes roll when you say it. It takes every muscle in my body not to slap you up side the head!!!

Mine is President Barack Obama, pisses me off everytime, and one that will hopefully never be uttered again after Jan. 2013. Outside the political realm I think "dawg" I ain't nobodies dawg, it shows how ignorant and stupid the person is, and that they have no respect for their fellow man. You know what anything that sounds like e-bonics pisses me off we need to get people speaking english again. (and yes i realize i used ain't)

"What do you think of this tattoo?" It's almost always followed by "my mate did it for me". As a professional, seeing these buckets of crap is painful enough, without thinking of the attendant health risks. Aside from that, what I think is irrelevant. If they are happy with it themselves, then that is all that matters, so I can only assume they are seeking my validation because deep down they know it's terrible, & if they can get a tattooist to ok it, they can fool themselves about their lack of judgement, .

Chili I think that professional artists all have the same opinion that you do in regards to what I would call a scratch job. I have been getting tattood for 25 years now and in that time I have lost count how many times I have seen scratch jobs people have gotten and get an infection or in a few cases hepatitis. The majority of my work is all single needle black work and what irritates me the most is when people just assume that I have been to prison. I had a so called "artist" here in town say and I quote "jailhouse scratch job" about my pieces which got him knocked out of his chair. My new VA Dr. asked me at my last appointment if my tattoos were real and I responded with "No it's an iron on."

Other that what I metioned above I think there are 2 things that really piss me of and it has to do mainly with my kids specifically my daughter having to get the last word in after being told enough then she will push even further and throw both hands up and say "FINE!"

I cant stand "Whatever" and if the eyes roll when you say it.

Especially, from those under 21.

Bugs the crap outta me.

I hate when I call a business and the person answers "Thanks for calling XYZ company, can you hold please?" as they place you on hold. If I said no, would they actually stop and help me? Uh, no.

I cant stand "Whatever" and if the eyes roll when you say it. It takes every muscle in my body not to slap you up side the head!!!

^^This^^

The wife DOES slap (the daughter anyway... it's her favourite word I think). The problem is more that as a trained martial artist it takes every muscle to hold it at a slap. To be fair, the daughter concerned is a pretty bloody good amateur boxer.

What happened to just saying hello ? don't ask me "How are You", - You don't really give a flyin shyt how I am ?

Don't tell me to "Have a good day" - what if I had a good day yesterday and don't want to have another good day this week.

Mine is President Barack Obama, pisses me off everytime, and one that will hopefully never be uttered again after Jan. 2013. Outside the political realm I think "dawg" I ain't nobodies dawg, it shows how ignorant and stupid the person is, and that they have no respect for their fellow man. You know what anything that sounds like e-bonics pisses me off we need to get people speaking english again. (and yes i realize i used ain't)

Hate to break it to you, but even should he not be re-elected, the words "President Barack Obama" will be said until the United States of America ceases to exist, and perhaps even after that.

yeah, but they should add an extra word to it, "former"

i hate the word "moist" it creeps me out. other than that, there are a lot that get on my nerves, but I prefer to act like stuff doesn't get the better of me. That usually irritates the other person more and then I win. lol

<snip>You know what anything that sounds like e-bonics pisses me off we need to get people speaking english again. (and yes i realize i used ain't)

What "English" should we go back to and fossilize in stone? Is Chaucer good for you? You know, of course, that English is merely stolen scraps from a "great feast of languages," don't you? By the way, if you are so concerned with the state of the language, perhaps you should practice writing it properly.

A harangue against a black president and "e-bonics" [sic] in the same paragraph, hmmm.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the color of the president's skin has exactly nothing to do with how he has performed in his job.

bashing someone for the color of their skin, where they are from or what they believe has no place here. Intelligent and even heated but civil discourse on such topics HAS been known to occur, but very rarely.

Keep this from getting out of control, please.

Thank you KT. You read my mind.

What "English" should we go back to and fossilize in stone? Is Chaucer good for you? You know, of course, that English is merely stolen scraps from a "great feast of languages," don't you? By the way, if you are so concerned with the state of the language, perhaps you should practice writing it properly.

A harangue against a black president and "e-bonics" [sic] in the same paragraph, hmmm.

Good call. English has many dialects. Many cultures in "English speaking" countries speak different dialects. Many professions end up having their own dialect. Geographic regions, etc.

Thank you KT. You read my mind.

First you spew racist filth, and then you agree with KT? Laughable

Hoodie instead of hooded sweatshirt.......

Heated debate is allowed as Kt mentioned and while the one could infer a certain meaning from comments that are stereotypically attached to a particular race, it doesn't mean that was the persons intent. Bottom line, hate speech isnt allowed and neither are name calling and personal attacks. Try to keep it on topic. Also, politics are reserved for the member forum and we have a section for that. Keep it civil or keep it out of here.

Good call. English has many dialects. Many cultures in "English speaking" countries speak different dialects. Many professions end up having their own dialect. Geographic regions, etc.

Aye Min, ye maun ken tha' ther's muckle furr'n spik gaed intae the Sassenach tongue, no o' fich is fit tae be spikked bye ony real mon. Sae, we a' ken jis' fine tha' th' mither-tongue is a muckle braw ain, aye?

p@nt$

But another would be "Really?" Especially when it is used "really?.......I mean really? I just want to say "YES......REALLY!"

Oh almost forgot... "Are you serious?"

eg. Can I get a tattoo done today?

Sorry mate, I'm booked out.

Are you serious?

Nah, I just said it for a f%$#king jke.