KiltedTexan

Stamping, Staining, And Tooling

Starting to play with leather a little, hope it turns into a great hobby. Anyway, looking for advice in staining and stamping leather. Got anything, I'm willing to learn.

Patients one must have, young padawan. Said in my best Yoda voice. My first piece of advice if you are going to tool make sure that your swivel knife is sharp, use distilled water to wet the leather with, when you are tooling have a light touch with hammer and tool. I would also advise staring out with the tooling use scrap pieces to practice on. The staining part is like staining wood the longer you leave it on the darker it gets. I've been doing leather work on and off for 30 years and I still haven't mastered it. Here's a few pics of stuff that I have done in the past.

I just finished my wifes snapping turtle purse last weekend as I mentioned in an earlier post

KGrHqRlQE6CCEKtEBOhk6KVIy60_12.jpg

3 inch ranger style kilt belt

032.jpg

031.jpg

030.jpg

029.jpg

028.jpg

027.jpg

016.jpg

Here's the rest of them since for some reason I got message saying I couldn't post that many pics in a single post

Eagle carvings done right after 9/11 I don't have a photo of the life size eagle I did on a full side that is the fourth part of these

wareagle---1.jpg

naturalflag.jpg

leatherflag---1.jpg

Still working on my snapper sporran

BoPEtNQCGkKGrHqEH-CcEuYLIK3lpBLms8L.jpg

BoPEo7gBWkKGrHqEH-EUEuEbd4FyBLms72O.jpg

That snapper sporran is really cool!!

• Hit a tile shop for a scrap of marble tile to work on. If it's only 1/2" thick, glue it to a piece of 3/4" plywood. The hard marble worktop will make your stamped impressions a bit crisper--and protect your dining room table.
  • Get some jeweler's rouge and use on a scrap of leather to make a strop to keep your swivel knife sharp.
  • Plan your work out on paper first. If you can't draw it, you can't very well tool it!!
  • Find a local saddlemaker and hit him up for scraps. These guys can't use anything less than a foot square. You won't find any thinner material that is great for sporran bodies, but it will be great for practice, straps, and knife sheaths.
  • Ask around. A lot of people have done leatherwork and either lost interest, or built everything they need out of leather, and their tools are sitting dusty in their attic. Maybe you have a cousin, uncle, or neighbor who would loan you their tools. My uncle loaned me a lot of his tools when I was a kid. My wife just reminded me that her Dad used to do a lot of leatherwork and he'd be happy to see his tools in use.
  • Tandy Leather stores aren't as common as they used to be!

I'm just getting back to leatherwork after about 25 years hiatus. I did a lot as a kid in 4-H and now need to find my old tools to make knife sheaths!

That snapper sporran is really cool!!

• Hit a tile shop for a scrap of marble tile to work on. If it's only 1/2" thick, glue it to a piece of 3/4" plywood. The hard marble worktop will make your stamped impressions a bit crisper--and protect your dining room table.
  • Get some jeweler's rouge and use on a scrap of leather to make a strop to keep your swivel knife sharp.
  • Plan your work out on paper first. If you can't draw it, you can't very well tool it!!
  • Find a local saddlemaker and hit him up for scraps. These guys can't use anything less than a foot square. You won't find any thinner material that is great for sporran bodies, but it will be great for practice, straps, and knife sheaths.
  • Ask around. A lot of people have done leatherwork and either lost interest, or built everything they need out of leather, and their tools are sitting dusty in their attic. Maybe you have a cousin, uncle, or neighbor who would loan you their tools. My uncle loaned me a lot of his tools when I was a kid. My wife just reminded me that her Dad used to do a lot of leatherwork and he'd be happy to see his tools in use.
  • Tandy Leather stores aren't as common as they used to be!

I'm just getting back to leatherwork after about 25 years hiatus. I did a lot as a kid in 4-H and now need to find my old tools to make knife sheaths!

Thanks on the sporran it's not finished yet the flap is a piece of scrap coyote fur I found over at our Good Will store I'm having to wait for funds so that I can order either a beaver pelt or an otter pelt and another deer hide so that I can finish mine so it will look similar to my wifes purse minus the beaded fringe.

All good points but in regards to saddle makers those guys are a dying breed at least here in Texas when I first moved out here to Odessa in 98 we had 4 old school saddle makers there are none now thanks to mass produced saddles out of Mexico and the saddle makers for some reason didn't want to pass on their knowledge. Another option on getting scrap would be the local shoe and boot repair because in most cases they also make belt, wallets and so on. Or you might get lucky and find some at hobby lobby in those bulk bags of scrap from the tannery. On the tooling slab I've got a piece of broken granite counter top that is 2 inches thick and a flat granite grave stone a foot thick that our local stone shop sold to me because of a flaw in the stone. Marble is alright for light work but in my case I cracked a half inch slab when I was tool skirt weight leather that is a quarter inch thick that's why I moved to granite. I found alot of my stamping tools either on ebay or I have had them for years buying them through tandy or other places. I also don't use a raw hide mallet for tooling doesn't have enough weight for me I've got four dead blow mallets from 1 pound to 4 pounds that I glued scrap leather to the faces but that was a personal choice for me because that's what like and I'm also the only one in my area who is self taught.

At the moment no real plans on the really detailed tooling. As my skills in drawing leave much to be desired. Thanks for the tips. if you think of anything else keep them coming.

That's the thing you don't have to have drawing skills to tool if you can trace or rub a pattern you can cut and tool it. Here's a link to some of the stuff I have used http://www.leathercraftlibrary.com/c-84-craftaid-tracings.aspx and http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/search/site+search+results.aspx?sectionpath=3&processor=content&p_keyword=Craftaid

I used parts of this one to do me belt with http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/search/searchresults/76580-00.aspx

Tandy also has a free how to video section http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/home/infoandservices/Leathercraft-Videos/Leathercraft-Videos.aspx

I'm new to this business, but I also want to take up this serious business. At the moment, I'm looking for interesting and useful information on Skin. Here I recently read an interesting article about stamping the skin. Here is a link, maybe somebody is interesting and useful.

https://leather-toolkits.com/reviews/best-stamping-tools-for-leather/