Lythgoe

Length And Height Of Your Kilt

40 posts in this topic

Let me start this off by saying that I have never been much of a traditionalist. The fact that I wear a kilt and no one else in my family does demonstrates that. I have been wearing kilts for almost 5 years now and have noticed something happen. Over the years I have started wearing my traditional tartan kilt lower on my waist, which therefore covers more of my knees. In fact, when I wear my kilt now, I am close to my jeans waist and my kilt goes to lower knee. If you look at me straight on, you could not see my knees, just my kilt hose.I have noticed this same thing happening in some pictues on certain websites.

I am wondering what everyone thinks. It might just be my generation, but I just like my kilts to cover my knees (similar to how I wear shorts).

Brice

as long as the hem falls somewhere on or really close to my kneecaps I'm good.

hey, are the ones your selling the old or new length now? I prefer to wear my kilts near the navel, and I hope to order before my birthday, but remembered oy umentioned the length was going to change.

I don't know if it is generational or not. I prefer wearing my kilt at the top of the knee and certainly like it no more than a quarter of the knee cap down.

My first traditional kilts were Stillwaters and I wore them at the navel I have a couple of kilts with a 2" rise so they are actually worn above the navel. As a consequence I feel most comfortable at the natural waist or there abouts. That said I do wear my altkilts and rkilts lower but still above the hips. Personal preference, no more, the bottom of the knee is too low for me, traditional or modern.

I like my kilts to sit around mid knee. I can live with lower knee if I have too, but certainly never above. I therefore tend to wear my off the rack kilts where they will make the mid=knee thing happen. My tailor-mades are all military rise, so the navel doesn;t get a look in :)

I find that I'm not really comfortable with a kilt that falls below the middle of my kneecap, and I generally find jsut above is about the best for me,if they are longer it hits the back of my knee and just doesn't feel good to me, certainly if I was going out walking I would make sure it was on the high side, not the low side. Each to their own of course but there is a functional reason for not having them too long.

2 people like this

Mid knee, whether it is traditional or not.

I prefer my kilts also around the middle of the knee. I am a little shorter waisted than most so the standard 24" drop on many off the shelf kilts is long on me so I tend to wear my kilt slightly highter above the navel.

Mid knee, for me.

I am more comfortable with waistbands being around "jeans level".

However, in order to make my kilts fall at mid-knee, I must wear them at navel level (sometimes slightly above).

The exception (for me) is my philabaegs or great kilts, with their infinite adjust-ability, allow me to wear them at "jeans level", and still fall mid-knee.

Top of the knee to mid-knee, at the lowest. I'm with paulhenry on the issue of not hitting the back of the knee when walking.

I find that I'm not really comfortable with a kilt that falls below the middle of my kneecap, and I generally find jsut above is about the best for me,if they are longer it hits the back of my knee and just doesn't feel good to me, certainly if I was going out walking I would make sure it was on the high side, not the low side. Each to their own of course but there is a functional reason for not having them too long.

I'm with Paul, here. I much prefer it right around the top of the kneecap . I HATE the feeling of the pleats scratching across the back of the knee.

My off the racks hit a the top to mid knee level which is where I'm comfortable having them. I'm also 6'2" so I don't have to worry about my Stillwaters being either to long or to short with a 24" drop. The only ones I have that I have to watch how I put on is my WPG's due to the military rise with a 27" drop on them.

I wear my kilts all sorts of different lengths, but I at least make sure that the hemline is parallel to the ground ... nothing looks dumber than a guy wearing a kilt at his 'p@nt$ waist' with out realizing that it makes his kilt 2 or 3 inches shorter in the back than in the front.

For years and years this was a serious design flaw of the Utilikilt, which finally corrected the flaw by making all their kilts, which are to be worn at the 'p@nt$ waist', shorter in the front to compensate. This correction is not the 'beer gut cut' of old, no, it's an entire redesign of the construction of the Utilikilt. I've had all my Utilikilts hems altered to correct the 'dope slope' of the original hemline.

Kilt ON!

If you have trouble visualizing the 'dope slope' - picture this take the globe that round thing that represents earth and tilt the orb so that the equator (that fat ring in the middle)

is level with what you are standing in (on). Now picture your kilt with the waist band circling the equator. Tilt the front apron down and look what happens to the pleated rear

area - "well I'll be d@mn southern exposure"!

So the front apron has to have a shorter hem length than the back because the earth does not rest level but has significant tilt (front downward) same for your "Waist wearing

Kilt". If worn at the navel the playing ground is relatively level. If worn below that point the front begins to dip down and the rear begins to eclipse the moons.

Anybody seen kilts in space - well you better not the sight is not pretty and reentry is problematic.

Formal kilts are traditionally worn at the navel waist and adjustments are not required.

For casual kilts the lower waist is the norm and a small hem adjustment is recommended.

This adjustment is best made when the kilt is made rather than later.

If done later remember to measure twice and cut the hem once.

The earth was not harmed in making this comparison only some ill fitting kilt wearing folks.

Nobody fits that bill around here ?

"Kilt-Carry-On-Moving-Along"

rma

Mid knee.......used to only wear my kilts at the navel but the last 2 I've purchased are at the waist but I still go for mid knee which forced me to re-measure for the first time.

If you have trouble visualizing the 'dope slope' - picture this take the globe that round thing that represents earth and tilt the orb so that the equator (that fat ring in the middle)

is level with what you are standing in (on). Now picture your kilt with the waist band circling the equator. Tilt the front apron down and look what happens to the pleated rear

area - "well I'll be d@mn southern exposure"!

So the front apron has to have a shorter hem length than the back because the earth does not rest level but has significant tilt (front downward) same for your "Waist wearing

Kilt". If worn at the navel the playing ground is relatively level. If worn below that point the front begins to dip down and the rear begins to eclipse the moons.

Anybody seen kilts in space - well you better not the sight is not pretty and reentry is problematic.

Formal kilts are traditionally worn at the navel waist and adjustments are not required.

For casual kilts the lower waist is the norm and a small hem adjustment is recommended.

This adjustment is best made when the kilt is made rather than later.

If done later remember to measure twice and cut the hem once.

The earth was not harmed in making this comparison only some ill fitting kilt wearing folks.

Nobody fits that bill around here ?

"Kilt-Carry-On-Moving-Along"

rma

You lost me on your analogy. Any pics to show this? .

I wear mine lower, not all the way to jeans waist, but lower than navel. It has never bothered me that much. I guess my thing is I don't really care for tradition. If I had followed tradition I never would have worn one in the first place. And If the worst I get is being called a dope, I can handle that. :) (my students at school have called me worse when I have worn my kilt)

You lost me on your analogy. Any pics to show this? .

I wear mine lower, not all the way to jeans waist, but lower than navel. It has never bothered me that much. I guess my thing is I don't really care for tradition. If I had followed tradition I never would have worn one in the first place. And If the worst I get is being called a dope, I can handle that. :) (my students at school have called me worse when I have worn my kilt)

Go Lythgoe!! Kilt ON!!! :thumleft:

Top of the knee here... I just prefer the look and feel

I think people should consider a lot of factors to decide.. are you skinny or muscular or a bowling ball? are you tall or short? young or old? sporty or classic? this whole idea of "proper height" seems pretty silly.. what looks good on one person isn't going to look good on everyone.. the only time I would even consider what the "proper height" is.. is when you are wearing it as a uniform in a group.. otherwise you should really consider what looks good on you.. someone who is tall and has long legs could use a little length, someone who is short and fat could lose a bit of length and so on...

I wear mine with the waist at the navel or just below the ribs. the hem will be at the top of the knee, so when I order a kilt it will be 24" long. I like the traditional look with casual kilts.

I definitely like more towards the top of the kneecap. I don't like having anything hitting the back of my knees while walking.

My more traditional kilt sits at my navel. My others sit about an inch lower...

i like my kilt to sit on my jeans waist, and go down about mid knee, so i like the length about 22.5". I do own a couple of kilts that are tradition and sit higher up, but i love my kilts all the same.

I wear my kilts around the navel area with a drop to roughly mid-knee.

Think the height choice was sort of made for me. Find that I prefer any shirt worn with a kilt tucked in. Due to torso length, I find that rather difficult with any size not followed by a "T" at the end.

Drop I decided on during the winter, TBH. Don't want the top of my hose or leg braces covered but want the amount of exposed skin fairly minimal. That's one seriously sensitive spot and the last thing i need while relearning some aspects of walking are puppy kiases along it.

I think people should consider a lot of factors to decide.. are you skinny or muscular or a bowling ball? are you tall or short? young or old? sporty or classic? this whole idea of "proper height" seems pretty silly.. what looks good on one person isn't going to look good on everyone.. the only time I would even consider what the "proper height" is.. is when you are wearing it as a uniform in a group.. otherwise you should really consider what looks good on you.. someone who is tall and has long legs could use a little length, someone who is short and fat could lose a bit of length and so on...

It's funny that I was just getting ready to post about this, found this thread, and then this quote. I am tall and thin and over the years, after trying to wear my kilt exactly the way all the self-professed experts have stated, have determined that I am indeed too tall and too thin to carry off the kilt at the navel. My issue is that at 6'6" and 200 pounds my legs are much longer than my torso - at a 38" inseam if I wear a kilt at the navel you can see approximately 5" of shirt and 26" of kilt - that aint pretty. I will tell you that at this height I do think it looks better to have the kilt fall to the top or mid-knee if your weraing it more traditionally, whereas I think wearing a kilt more casually or wearing a utility or cargo kilt lets you make the call where you want it to fall...

I've started getting kilts with a 24" drop and wearing them just above "jeans waist"; I look more proprtionate and therefor I think both I and the kilt look a tad better (because havin' a great tartan doesn't mean squat if you look like a fool - think Ed Grimely in a skirt).

I think afreegeek's statement is good and ultimately I think you have to do 1.) what feels right and 2.) what makes you look the best, even if it means adjusting what all of the "experts" say is correct.

2 people like this

It'd be a shame to escape the tyranny of troo$er$ only to find ones self under a new tyranny, the tyranny of tradition. Kilt ON!

3 people like this