Lythgoe

Length And Height Of Your Kilt

40 posts in this topic

The top at the navel and the bottom no lower then the middle of the knee. My first kilt was an inch above the knee and below the navel. I was never comfortable in it....thank the Lord and a healthy diet I grew out of it soon enough! :laughing:

I'm not going to tell anyone exactly how to wear their kilt, just please don't be one of those young fools that tries to wear a kilt hanging like "gangster jeans" it looks stupid enough with jeans.. with a kilt it is just awful. And yes, I have seen kids wearing their kilt this way. If I can't see the top of your calf... there's a problem. Let's not even discuss "Kilt this" and their "full lenth kilts" . Full length for a kilt is to the knee, not to the ankle.

1 person likes this

It's funny that I was just getting ready to post about this, found this thread, and then this quote. I am tall and thin and over the years, after trying to wear my kilt exactly the way all the self-professed experts have stated, have determined that I am indeed too tall and too thin to carry off the kilt at the navel. My issue is that at 6'6" and 200 pounds my legs are much longer than my torso - at a 38" inseam if I wear a kilt at the navel you can see approximately 5" of shirt and 26" of kilt - that aint pretty. I will tell you that at this height I do think it looks better to have the kilt fall to the top or mid-knee if your weraing it more traditionally, whereas I think wearing a kilt more casually or wearing a utility or cargo kilt lets you make the call where you want it to fall...

I've started getting kilts with a 24" drop and wearing them just above "jeans waist"; I look more proprtionate and therefor I think both I and the kilt look a tad better (because havin' a great tartan doesn't mean squat if you look like a fool - think Ed Grimely in a skirt).

I think afreegeek's statement is good and ultimately I think you have to do 1.) what feels right and 2.) what makes you look the best, even if it means adjusting what all of the "experts" say is correct.

Good point.

I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum: Not terribly tall, and certain to not be described as skinny.

"Adjust for proportion" makes sense.

1 person likes this

It certainly can take some playing with to find what's perfect for you; I know quite a few men who wear their kilts solely based on the suggestions of the kilt maker or most published measuring guides - it took me a while to figure out that I also needed to take into consideration my comfort and the way I personally wanted to look.

3 people like this

I tend to wear mine a little long, but I wear my shorts the same way. I don't like anything above my knees, it feels far too short. Even my swimsuits are long board shorts.

I know this post hasn't been posted to for 6 months, but I been wearing my kilts top of the knee at the navel, but my latest kilt is long. My wife likes it that way.

2014-08-25135507.jpg

2014-08-25135410.jpg

Mid knee at the longest, of course I like the top around my navel.

I don't know how to wear it but I prefer wearing my kilt at the top of the knee but no more than a quarter of the knee cap down. I may be wrong but I wear up to that level.

I'm most comfortable with mine hitting right at the bottom of the knee cap when standing, and I typically wear it about the same height (maybe an inch higher) as my jeans, right over my hips.

The drop wasn't really planned, just that my first two kilts were Utilikilts with the standard 23" drop. I got comfortable wearing those, and my inseam is a little short at around 31", so they probably fit me a little longer than they "should". Either way, I'm used to it and prefer it over the shorter lengths I've since worn.

Edited by jae

I'm a navel height and top of knee guy, it feels comfortable there to me, much higher on my waist or lower on the knee and it feels odd.

I'm with GrainReaper. All my kilts set mid to top of knee except one , it goes to bottom of knee . Thats what i call my winter kilt.

At the navel and middle of the knee. I'm the perfect height for a 24" length. So I have a lot to choose from, right off the rack.

I feel very comfortable with my kilt at the center of my knees or a bit lower. I know that's a little long but shorter feels odd.

Edited by DonP

On 11/15/2013 at 1:08 PM, Kevin80222 said:

It's funny that I was just getting ready to post about this, found this thread, and then this quote. I am tall and thin and over the years, after trying to wear my kilt exactly the way all the self-professed experts have stated, have determined that I am indeed too tall and too thin to carry off the kilt at the navel. My issue is that at 6'6" and 200 pounds my legs are much longer than my torso - at a 38" inseam if I wear a kilt at the navel you can see approximately 5" of shirt and 26" of kilt - that aint pretty. I will tell you that at this height I do think it looks better to have the kilt fall to the top or mid-knee if your weraing it more traditionally, whereas I think wearing a kilt more casually or wearing a utility or cargo kilt lets you make the call where you want it to fall...

I've started getting kilts with a 24" drop and wearing them just above "jeans waist"; I look more proprtionate and therefor I think both I and the kilt look a tad better (because havin' a great tartan doesn't mean squat if you look like a fool - think Ed Grimely in a skirt).

I think afreegeek's statement is good and ultimately I think you have to do 1.) what feels right and 2.) what makes you look the best, even if it means adjusting what all of the "experts" say is correct.

I'm 6'5, 34" inseam and the standard UTkilt is too short and in the back too. When I sit down, it doesn't cover well. I wear it at the navelish...I just got a traditional kilt from Heritage of Scotland and that fits better and feels a lot better. two more inches in length and it just feels different. 25" would be about right for mid knee, maybe a bit more. 

Yes, at your height a 22 inch length kilt would be too short.  I can see how a 25 inch would work better, especially if you are wearing it up higher on the navel.