Fueco

Ut Kilts?

26 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I've been away from the forum for a while (okay, a few years...). I'm getting back towards kilting now that my regular kilt fits again (I gained some weight and have lost it recently).

Anyway, to the point... I'm thinking of getting a "modern kilt" in a plain color. After doing a bit of research, there's what I want (a Utilikilt Original) and what I can afford (most others). I stumbled across a maker that sells modern kilts on Ebay and also through their web store, but can't find anything in this forum about them.

Has anyone heard good or bad things about UT Kilts?

http://www.utkilts.com/

Depending on when you left, you'd remember UT Kilts as Lythgoe Sporrans. (Saddly, I don't think he makes the sporrans anymore, I didn't get a skunk one when I had the chance)

Someplace on this forum, I have review posted on UT Kilts. Bryce is excellent to work with and ships out priority mail so you'll get receive your order very quickly. He's got good modern kilts at very reasonable prices. The only "bad" thing I can say about his modern kilts is if you get a black one, stay away from white cats. :cat:

I have one of his kilts. It great for a every day kick about, work on the house, or just running around. In colder weather it not as nice as a heavier fabric. but I still wear it more then my others.

Thanks for the replies all. I tried the search function at the top of the page and didn't get any results. I'll keep the good reviews in mind: I suppose it's a good thing our cats are not white! But the reddish fur will show I'm sure. No kittles on the kilted lap, eh?

I have a UT as well and I'll second the issue about a black kilt and white cats or in my case a red dog. I'm new to wearing a kilt but I put a UT as a day to day knock about kilt, price wise its not much more than a pair of 501's so I'm not super paranoid when im wearing it out and about

I finally got around to ordering my UT Kilt. I like it so far... I'll be wearing it out and about tomorrow. There's a picture below of me posing for the camera...

I also order a Utilikilt Mocker off of Ebay. It has a slight defect, it's missing one of the snaps on the front apron. But I have a friend who runs an embroidery shop who has access to catalogs of that sort of thing. I should be able to fix it pretty easily and cheaply. I'm looking forward to this one too... I've been lusting after one since the first time I saw my friend wearing one about 6 years ago...

mk1.jpg

I finally got around to ordering my UT Kilt. I like it so far... I'll be wearing it out and about tomorrow. There's a picture below of me posing for the camera...

I also order a Utilikilt Mocker off of Ebay. It has a slight defect, it's missing one of the snaps on the front apron. But I have a friend who runs an embroidery shop who has access to catalogs of that sort of thing. I should be able to fix it pretty easily and cheaply. I'm looking forward to this one too... I've been lusting after one since the first time I saw my friend wearing one about 6 years ago...

mk1.jpg

mine has 5 vestigial 'snaps' on the front that I am not seeing on yours. Also, are your accents brass or silver?

The picture is the basic UT Kilt. I chose the cheaper option because I wasn't sure how I'd like the fabric.

I should get the Utilikilit early next week. I'll post a pic of that one after I get it.

good review I have been looking at UT and this has helped a lot

Has anyone tried their Tartan based Kilts? I noticed they are Acryllic and have not read of wonderful stuff with Acryllic...

To get the 10% discount, oyu need to be a paid member of the Brotherhood. After you join, you'll get the information for the discount.

You have to email Bryce, I think. I don't think there is a central database anymore, the old code got out 'into the wild' so...

Please send me a PM so I can get you the code for the 10 percent of clearance. Remember the 10 percent off everything is for the paid membership.

Brice,

Just wanted to say thanks, the sporran that I ordered was great and I haven't found any of the scratches or dents.

Has anybody had any experience with their acrylic tartan kilts? How would they compare to somebody like Sport Kilt? How well do the pleats keep?

I have a black watch acrylic from UTKilts. It feels like wool, and holds its pleats well. Sport Kilts are made of more of a cotton blend material, so it's not really like a wool kilt... it's more of a sporty kilt. I have one I use to run in and am about to get another SK for running.

1 person likes this

Thanks! That was very helpful. I'm thinking about purchasing a Black Watch kilt from UT Kilts as well. $59 can't be beat. With sport kilt, by the time I factor in my size and preferred options I find myself well over $100, which still isn't bad considering the cost of a traditional kilt.

yeah, Bryce has good prices and you won't regret getting his kilt. Remember to let him know you are a paid member here. 10% will at least take care of shipping.

1 person likes this

If you PM Brice he will send you a discount code I just bought a skunk sporran from him It is very nice.

or, it sometimes takes him some time to see a PM, if you email him to let him know your membership info he credit the discount amount back after you order also.