paulhenry

Kilt From Old Jeans

Some time ago, I was talking about making a kilt from old pairs of denim jeans, well I have finally got around to sourcing some jeans from the local charity shop.I need to start taking them apart and then restitching them into a proper shape. I don't expect this to be a quick process, but I'll try and keep posting a few pictures as I go!_MG_4143.jpg

This is very cool Paul, I will be interested in following the photos of this kilt creation. I guess since you will be recycling old jeans this will be a "green" kilt. Are you planning on adding cargo pockets?

I'm not exactly sure whether it will have cargo pockets or not, I've never really been keen on them before, but it might be worth a serious look to see. I'm hope that i might be able to salvage some of the details from the jeans and am keen to incorporate whatever bits I can. Once I get a heap of ripped out bits I'll be better able to judge what I can work with, I think. I'm still not exactly sure how many pairs I will need,I did rip up one pair a few weeks ago, and managed to get about 1 metre of usuable width, so with a contemporary kilt I normally use about 5 -6 yards, so perhaps 5 pairs will suffice, I got 7 pairs , so I've got enough and some over for the experiment!

Edited by paulhenry

SWEET!!! I've been hunting around for old jeans here for the same thing!

This is very interesting..........

Cant wait to see the end result!!!

I have seen a denim kilt recently with orange top stitching. Looks really cool.

TARTANS 4 AFRICA

Edited by Ina Murison-McGowan

One of the only other kilted guys in town makes his out of old blue jean bib overhaulls. Not too bad of a job for a guy his size. I keep trying to get him online but I don't know if he even owns a computer.

I have not forgotten about this, but I've been busy with other things, but I have managed to take apart lots of jeans, and work out how they will go back together again to make the length I need. It was frustrating to find out that the actual outside seam is curved ( ok perhaps not a suprise) and that means a bit more ripping out and re sewing...

So far I've got about 2 yards finished and I'm playing with how the pleats will work, here is a quick photo , just to prove I'm working on it! I haven't quite worked out the posckets yet, that will be next!

IMG_4216.jpg

Edited by paulhenry

excellent!

looks good.

1-_MG_5743.jpg

I managed to find some time today to progress this a little, so I now have a 5 yard length of denim, whihc I've sewn all the edges, and then tapered all the pleats, it might be a few days before I do anythign else, but finally it's beginning to look like the start of a kilt. The gentle variation of blues is really nice, but I need to be careful about the front apron now!

A Levi's kilt would be awesome- any chance you'll be making more?

• Like 1

1-_MG_5750.jpg

It's almost a kilt, buckles and leather straps attatched just the lining to go!

Looking sweet from where I'm sitting.

Paul thanks for the updates, I was wondering how this project was going. I am wondering if this in reality becomes a hugely expensive kilt because of all the man hours required to create it.

Yes , you are right, it's really not a commercial venture, but it's been a very interesting project, and I'm certainly happy that I started it!

Well it's finished, and tomorrow the client will get it , it's been very interesting, and I would do it again, I'd have to be aware of the time involved, but the feeling of the worn denim is lovely, it has that well used and comfortable touch, I hope he likes it as well. He is rather keen on strawberries as well, hence the "fun" lining.

2-_MG_5761.jpg

Very nice indeed.

I hope the client models it for us.

I'd like to see what it looks like when worn.

Nice Job Mr Henry.

Very nice indeed.

I hope the client models it for us.

I'd like to see what it looks like when worn.

Nice Job Mr Henry.

Well, nothing to add to this statement

Wow, that is a pretty unique kilt Paul. The pleats look extremely crisp. So is the owner well pleased?

On 5/16/2012 at 0:26 PM, Dunbar said:

A Levi's kilt would be awesome- any chance you'll be making more?

I contacted Levi's about this. We'll see if they respond. Maybe more can do the same?