Drac

Finally Moved On To Stage 2

Hi all,

Been out of the shop for a number of reasons, mostly because of the up and down weather we've been having. As most hobbyists can attest we rarely keep anything for ourselves. As one of my knife making mentors once said "I can't afford my own knives."

Started it here - http://www.kiltsrock...496#entry221496

Now that the weather is getting nice I got out to garage and got it going again. Got it ready for heat treat and fitted the ivory. Did a quick acid bath to give an idea of how the pattern will look. I swear that ladder and a two edge grind is the coolest looking -

dresssqian21.jpg

The back -

dresssqian22.jpg

A close-up of the filework -

dresssqian23.jpg

If all goes well it should go in the kiln tomorrow for heat treat, oil for quench and oven for the tempering. Should get at least one temper done. After that it is back to my favorite thing. Sanding, sanding and more sanding. Followed by even more. Maybe by mid-week get it into the acid for a full etch and glue it up. Will need to find a sheath maker after that.

Hope to get some time on the other pending ones as well.

Jim

Well it made it through the HT somewhat. Has a slight warp in the blade, about 1/16" deflection. No huge but looks like a boomerang to me. I'll finish this off but I'm glad this wasn't a customer piece.

Jim

Well it made it through the HT somewhat. Has a slight warp in the blade, about 1/16" deflection. No huge but looks like a boomerang to me. I'll finish this off but I'm glad this wasn't a customer piece.

Jim

Deflection or not, I can't wait to see this one completed. Gorgeous work Jim.

Nothing annoys me more than putting a load of time into a piece, have it looking beautiful, then it warping during the heat treating. Probably the most frustrating thing I know :( Nice looking piece though, the pattern is great!

Nothing annoys me more than putting a load of time into a piece, have it looking beautiful, then it warping during the heat treating. Probably the most frustrating thing I know :( Nice looking piece though, the pattern is great!

Luckily I don't work with carbon much. Four or five times and only when I am working with damascus. Since I work with CPM stainless steels I use plate quenching I rarely have issues with warping of blades.

Got it all done -

dresssqian24.jpg

Now I have to find a sheath maker and hopefully be ready for fair season.

Jim