Drac

Should I Bother?

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Good day,

Getting into the shop intermittently now that the weather is fairly decent. Going through the selves and planning projects. Have a stack of ones that are in various stages of completion/ Next to that is my stack of disappointments. Ones that bend, broke or ones I was otherwise unhappy with.

Out of the last category I have two. One is the first is a push dagger and the second is a first attempt at a customer designed sgain.

Here is the push dagger -

iffy04.jpg

iffy05.jpg

The sgain. I wasn't happy with how the filework was going.but it is made up of some pricey damascus -

iffy00.jpg

iffy01.jpg

iffy02.jpg

Any craftman will tell you that they are their own worsest critic. I am curious what you guys think should I bother finishing these or just scrap them so they don't make me question them again?

Jim

I think the file work on #2 looks like a dragon's tail, which is REALLY cool!

As for going on with them, I would say yes. The worst think you can do is finish them, learn from what you did and sell them when you are done. I am confident someone will buy them.

( when the second is done let me know :) )

I don't much about metal work but they both look cool. i'll also ask whats a push daggar probably only knife term i have not heard

I used to write a lot of poetry and then one day it just stopped. I had one poem that I never finished. I started strong and then suddenly in the middle of it I wasn’t quite sure where I was going or how I envisioned it to end. I left that poem as I started it with the hopes that one day I would have the clarity to finish it and write again. Leave them and one day you will find the clarity to finish them and be pleased with what you have done.

I really like the look of the push dagger, im not sure what kind of handle material you should use, but im sure with a nice hard wood or something it would look awesome.

I know where you are coming from. My opinion: finish them!

The fact that you are debating which way to go means they have merit. Show us some pics when you get done.

Thanks guys. I'll give them a try.

i'll also ask whats a push daggar probably only knife term i have not heard

A push dagger is a fighting knife on the line of a boot knife. Very popular among Gold Rush gamblers as was the derringer. It is held with the ricaso going inbetween the middle and ring finger.

Jim

My vote is to finish them! What do you have planned for the push knife's handle?

Finish them. I agree we are our own worst critics, but remember, one man's trash is another man's treasure. Someone will be salivating over them as you are still questioning.

I say finish them. I carry either one of them.

Once finished, how much would you want for the push dagger?

Ok, finished the sqian -

damascus01.jpg

damascus02.jpg

Jim

are you going to sell it, and how much will it be if so?

Well worth it. Excellent job!

Beautiful work brother

Thanks gents.

Jim