Drac

Welcome To Drouillard Knives

I first became involved in the custom knife field in 2001, when a passion for cooking led to an initial decision to make my own kitchen knives. Starting with kit knives, I began making my own blades after meeting and working with Tim Herman.

In addition to technical training, Tim showed me that lessons I'd learned long ago in art and jewelry classes; contrast and symmetry, flow and balance; could and should be used in knife making. He reinforced my belief that knives could be both beautiful and functional, that artistic style need not and should not limit a knife's usefulness.

In cooking, good results can only come from using good ingredients, and that tenet is just as valid in knife making. I use quality materials from reputable vendors. I work mostly with 440C and 154CM for most of the sgians. Both are good functional steel that hold a good edge. For handles, I enjoy working with a variety of natural materials, including wood, bone, mammoth tooth and pearl. In keeping with my belief, I always ensure the material used for a knife fits both the nature of that knife and its intended function. Any wood that can be stabilized will be stabilized. It is an added cost but in my opinion the benefits of it out way the costs. It minimizes shrink and swell which are the leading cause of cracking and loose handles. Also increases the hardness/toughness of the wood.

In the end I aim for making knives that are beautiful, meant to be used (if it doesn’t cut anything it’s not a knife) and to last and be worn for a life time.

Ordering a knife

If you are interested please feel free to drop me a Private Message. Same with any questions.

I am currently using three models. All are full tang and flat ground. The steel will be 440C or 154CM/CPM154. Others steels are available at request. This includes hard working steels such as S30V and dress steels such as Devin Thomas Damascus. They will have stainless steel findings unless otherwise requested.

I keep a stock of wood and other handle materials on hand at all times but will work with customer to find the right fit. Besides woods I have worked with bone, horn, ivory and some natural stone.

Here is a sample of the current models:

The dress model –

It is the classic style based on the dress sgians dubh.

Sgiandubh37.jpg?t=1336161956

Done in stainless steel with kuri and matching sheath.

The Artificer model, name for the customer who designed it –

Bogoak04.jpg?t=1336163168

It is a casual, everyday model. Done in stainless steel with bog oak and matching sheath.

The Xman model, name for the customer who designed it –

Xman-23.jpg?t=1336162493

Also a casual model but one that demonstrates how a casual model can be dressed up. It is done with Devin Thomas ladder damascus and bog oak.

I have made several other models for customers at their request. If you have an idea in mind please contact me. If you want brass or a synthetic handle we can work together on it. Here is a gallery link to others I have done - http://s1167.photobu...ndyman/Sgians/.

All knives come with working edges. This means it will be sharp and very usable. It will last quite some time with normal use and maintenance.

You have several choices on sheaths. If you wish leather (always a nice option) I can recommend several great professional sheath makers. I can make a matching wood sheath. I can also send it to you without a sheath if you wish to make one or have your own makers do one. There are several great leather workers on BotK.

***From time to time I get some woods in that I feel need special homes. They are either so beautiful or special that I feel would be better to done for a commision rather than a stock model. I will place them in their own thread to desplace them for all to see.***

Warranty

I aim for making knives that are beautiful, meant to be used (if it doesn’t cut anything it’s not a knife) and to last and be worn for a life time.

As such I back all my knives for life. As long as they are used for their proper use I will repair defective materials.

Always remember this is a knife, not a screw driver, pry bar, hammer or a chisel. It is not only destructive but dangerous to use a tool for something other then its intended use.

I also want my customers to be happy. If you are not I will accept the knife back in its original condition.

I will sharpen the knife if you do not feel comfortable. The only cost would be the shipping.

Jim "Drac" Drouillard

• Like 1

H hope to be able to afford one of you fine blades one day. It looks like you do great work.

Glad you mentioned that they are meant to be used- I have a few Sgians that are strictly ornamental- beautiful but useless- I call them my "Kardashian" blades

• Like 1

I like your philosophy, especially the symbiosis between function and form. That's how it should be done.

Those are some beautiful works of art.

Aye min!

Fantastic work. Hope to have a piece some day.

Truly beautiful works!

As the chappie whose name is attached to the 2nd of Drac's rather splendid offerings I'd like to testify to his prowess with hot metal and rare woods.

Here's my original, made to my specs + the artistic bent that you'll never get from a mass manufacturer. His work is sublime, perfectly balanced, and FUNCTIONAL. - How many of you have a Sgian that can peel an apple or pear in one long ribbon and still look like it belongs on the runway?

artificer1.jpg

artificer2.jpg

artificer3.jpg

If it seem like I'm shilling for Drac, it's only because I own one of his pieces and am a true believer. Beauty + Functionality = WIN for me.

Cheers.

Edited by artificer
  • Like 1

. - How many of you have a Sgian that can peel an apple or pear in one long ribbon and still look like it belongs on the runway?

I do. It was made by Drac!

I would show pictures of it, however, I am away and cannot do it for a while. But I will.

Edited by tyger

These look great!

Nice work!

Works of art!!

Welcome to the Merch. Section bud!!

How can a knife be ordered? I would be interested, I have several of Edmund Davidsons pieces. Love hand crafted knives.

Eli

How can a knife be ordered? I would be interested, I have several of Edmund Davidsons pieces. Love hand crafted knives.

Eli

Send Drac a private message here to order a knife.

Hello I'm interested in purchasing one of your knives ,and I am wondering if there was any chance that a Gordon clan crest badge could be implanted in the handle ,and if not I understand but I do love your knives ,so if you can give me prices then I would love too order one and send payment too you. Thank you. John Crombie PO box 439 Lincoln New Hampshire Jtcrombie@yahoo.com

Just got back from a couple trips back to back. Will drop you an email presently but there are a couple ahead so your patient will be appreciated..

Jim

Hi drac I wrote too you regarding commissioning a knife and I got a reply asking for style that I would like done ,so I replyd but received no further correspondence I was told that you might not get my message through your email and to do it through the forum .? Anyway I'm totally excited by you designing me a wonderful work of art ,and want a wooden handled blade and matching kuri ,and love the Damascus steel finish ,I am looking for the light wood style you have on the top picture of your site or something similar ,hoping too hear back from you soon. John Crombie Lincoln New Hampshire

Oops sorry drac I just saw the message you sent me on the forum page for the first time I understand that you are busy ,not a problem when your ready I'll hear from you , many thanks john

John,

Sorry, I'm not ignoring you I didn't get the last PM so I PM'd you my email. Let me know if you didn't get it.

Jim

Hi drac just checking that you got my last message asking for info too mail postal order too you ,I know you are busy so no worries hear from you soon. , John crombie

Once I get the commissions pending caught up I will drop you a line :D

Jim