KiltedTexan

Need Some Help.

I could use some help. I have been asked to give a 45-50 min seminar at next years Annual McLeod Gathering in San Antonio on the history of the highland games, ive ordered a book off amazon to help me study and learn, but if anyone has anything that might help me could you pm me. Thanks

I am assuming that you are referring to the "McLeod"

One thing, (as I understand it, they were Not Celtic ( except by the popular concert of All "Scots were & incorrect.) They were "Norse & the Norse were not "Celts" (via genetics)

Nothing like that. If I decide to go through with this and do speak, it would only be on the games. The origins of the events, the rules, how they a judged, the governing body aka NASGA. I am mostly interested in finding out how the events came imto existence. I know the hammer throw started with blacksmiths, you hear all kinds of origins of the caber toss, but how did the weight over bar, weight for distance, or the stone put start? When did the first modern incarnation of the games start, that kind of stuff. And i always thought there were 7 celtic nations, scotland, ireland, whales, brittany, isle of mann, cornwall, and galacia.

Dont know about the games as a formal thing, but I know that most of the games were invented as a means of practicing warcraft seeing weapons were prohibited. e.g throwing rocks at the English etc.

Here is an update as to what the seminar would be.....

As our resident athlete, you could give a short explanation of the history and development of the heavy athletics, the judging, the sanctioning bodies, the actual events, the records and perhaps a video / pictorial of the athletic events. Figure about 45-50 minutes tops.

You would be a natural..............

Actually puffer- it's MacLeod. My fortunate son was adopted by the MacLeod's several years ago.Really great folks. And the dunvegan Foundation does great work funding pipers,drummers and dancers in the celtic Arts. HOLD FAST MACLEOD!!!