Drac

Your Favorite Family (Simple) Recipes?

I use the guide that my wife is a lactose intolerant vegetarian who likes about six flavors she's tried and has a problem with texture so I may as well just do whatever I want as anything but pasta with butter is a crap shoot.

Ha ha ha ha.... I feel for you man, my ex only wanted beef I never thought I would ever get sick of steaks.......but you do

Stirred Glump

(in our home, anything that doesn't have a genuine classification or name, is called "glump")

(1) boneless chicken breast, cut into thin slices

(1/2 lb) beef stew meat, cut into thin slices

(1) each red, green, orange, yellow peppers.

(1) red onion, diced

(1) can refried beans

In large pan, saute peppers & half onion in a healthy slug of olive oil.

In separate pan, begin stir frying meats, and other half of onion, in a healthy glop of olive oil.

Season both liberally with cumin, chili, cilantro, salt & pepper.

When nearly done, combine both pans, continue stirring, add a dash of lime juice.

Add refried beans, continue stirring.

Serve over rice, with avocado chunks & cheddar cheese. Salsa optional.

Looks horrible, tastes great.

Straight out of the medicinal marijuana cookbook....

Since I doubt most of you would care for my bento recipes I thought I go ahead with a couple of Amy's favorites.

These are about as simple as they come.

Chicken rice

2 cups of rice

4 cups of chicken stock

2 chicken breast, diced

seasoning of choice, ours is Herbs de Provance

Place in 2 quart sauce pan and cover. Bring to a boil and move low heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir, serve.

Chicken Surprise

1 chicken breast per person

1 can on cream of chicken broth

1 batch of Bisquick biscuits (2 cups Bisquick 3/4 cup milk)

1 tablespoon of melted butter per person

Preheat the oven to 475F.

I prefer to cook the chicken in the George grill first (adds flavor and putting it raw seems to dry it out) while bringing the soup (straight up) to a boil. When chicken is done dice up. Roll out the biscuit dough about 1/8" thick. Slice up the dough into 1" squares. Use a baking dish just big enough for the chicken. Add soup. Place the dough pieces to cover the top. Brush the top with melted butter. I like to sprinkle a little salt on top.

Bake until brown. Should only be about 5-10 minutes. I let mine sit about 10 minutes after the first time of burning the roof of my mouth. The diced dough makes it easier to cut up and eat.

Jim

Straight out of the medicinal marijuana cookbook....

That's hilarious, especially since I've never indulged in ganja, in my life.

Amish Haggis (Hog Maw)

That's different than the original from the Palatinate, where many Amish came from. Just around the corner from my home state and

where my grandparents where from.

Actually I don't have a recipe with measurements, but the original Saumagen (Sau = female hog, Magen = Stomach) is filled with:

salt pork and raw meat (equal amounts) and diced potatoes. spices: salt, pepper, marjorie, nutmeg, mace.

The stomach is cooked in boiling water. For serving it is cut into slices, that get fried in a pan. Served with Sauerkraut.

Ha ha ha ha.... I feel for you man, my ex only wanted beef I never thought I would ever get sick of steaks.......but you do

It's especially awesome right now. I'm having vertigo issues. Cooking is unwise/dangerous as I fall down a lot. However, she's injured and can't really walk. So meals these days are either delivery or leftovers thrown into a bowl, stirred, and microwaved.

opened a can of worms as I am a chef, but currently I like chinese jiaozi or dumplings and they are easy to make just take ground pork ,add finely chopped leeks , salt , and if you like fine diced chilies, for the skin i guess you would need to look in an asian market .

mix the meat and leeks or what veg you like well take a dumpling skin ad about a tsp of mixture to dumpling skin wet edges of skin and fold over tightly repeat till you have enough to eat . these freeze well .

to cook use the chinese three cup method . add dumplings to boiling water when the water returns to full boil add a cup of water to the pot and repeat till you have added three cups of water and the pot has returned to a full boil three times.

i humbly request texas chili reciecipies as I make a mean cali version but texas chili seems to win all the contests

JUst 3 little words-BACON,BURGER,DOGS. Grill bacon on a rack on over the bugers while they cook,to let the grease drip onto the beef. Then finish grilling the bacon and hot dogs together. Melt sharp cheddar on the burgers if you need more. Slice the dogs in half on a large bun add bacon and burgers, no veggies needed on these add mustard or mayo if you must. Close the bun and EAT. Did these last night to break in my new pit.

Dunbar we have a similar dish, just didn't know what to call it, in your honor it will now be chicken glump. We take Chiken breast cut in to strips, put it in a black cast iron frying pan with sliced onions cover it with spicy Italian dressing and sautee until the onions are completly carmelized. Serve with warm flour tortillas and sliced avocados.

A little something to add. A easy baked pasta dish. Lots of cheese. Basically a easy lasagna -

Some sauce in the bottom, a few cooked stuffed pasta (though we normally use full size ravioli with chicken and cheese) and top with a hand full of cheese -

Pasta01.jpg

Bake at 400F for 30 minutes or until as brown as you like -

Pasta02.jpg

I really recommend letting it set 5 minutes to firm up. Also less scorched mouths.

Jim

Scottish Shortbread

1 cup baking flour. I prefer unbleached pastry flour

1/2 cup powdered sugar (granulated doesn't work)

1 stick (1/2 cup) Real Salted Butter

Dash salt

(no baking powder, baking soda, or leavening of any kind, hence the name, shortbread)

Rub all ingredients together by hand until the mix resembles fine crumbs, then press into an 8" cake pan. You can use shortbread molds if you have them, but most of us don't. Bake in a 375 degree oven until golden around the edges. about 10-12 minutes. turn out of pan while hot, and cut into bars.

These are great in the cool of the evening with a cup of Earl Grey. I tend to make them a lot around Christmas...

My daughter-in- law makes the BEST shortbread I have ever had.

My wife says the secret to an amazing crust is butter. She places pats across the top and it makes for a nice golden hued one. I personally don't but bear in mind my lactose intolerance is such that I pay for butter.

In terms of beer choice, I go based on what the purpose of the bread is. To make a lazy Sunday loaf for purposes of greeting the wife when she awakens, I go with a wheat-y beer and some honey to sweeten. When making bread for sandwiches, I've gone with a smoked lager to pair with the meat.

instead of butter you can use an egg wash

Quiche lorraine is my speciality: 3-5 eggs (depending on size) shredded swiss and cheddar (according to preferred texture) bacon bits (ye canna hae to mony) stir in a little flour to texture. I use a unsweet shortbread crust and if you want the spice blend p.m. me. I don't like being secretive but it is necessary.

Fastest, simplest dish ever, one pot meal.

1 ring bologna, kielbasa, etc.

1 can Bavarian-style sauerkraut

1 cup of water

Mix in a 5 qt. Dutch oven over medium-high heat, bring to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 10-15 minutes. Slice sausage into chunks and serve with sauerkraut and mustard.

Another quick, simple dish.

Bean Soup

3 lbs. ground chuck - 80% lean

3 cans Bush's baked beans, any variety

Loosely crumble raw meat into large crock pot, then dump beans on top.

Turn crock pot on low for 8-10 hours.

Stir well until completely mixed, breaking up any large chunks of meat.

Serve in large bowls with chunks of crusty bread.

5 minutes to throw together on the way out of the door in the morning, cooks all day while you're at work, ready to eat when you get home. Hot, hearty, and sticks to the ribs.

Another simple recipe:

Half-bag frozen potatoes o'brien

Half-dozen eggs

Half-bag shredded cheddar cheese

Pour 1/4 cup vegetable oil into very large frying pan (12 inch or more) and heat on medium-high. Add frozen potatoes in a single layer. Cook for 7-8 minutes. Using spatula, turn potatoes over in sections. Cook another 6-7 minutes. Meanwhile, crack eggs into small bowl and scramble with 2 tbsp of milk. When potatoes are cooked and light-golden brown, pour eggs over potatoes. Cook until eggs begin to set. Again turn over in sections. Sprinkle cheese over mixture and cover. Cook 2-3 minutes, or until cheese melts. Makes 4 servings.

How I never read this thread, I'll never know. I have a stockpile of recipes to try now though!

Another super easy one that gets rave reviews at any potluck: Meatballs

Purchase a 5 lb. bag frozen 1/2 oz. meatballs (or you can make your own, but why when the frozen are so much easier?)

Thaw, dump into crockpot.

Mix together one 32 oz. jar grape jelly or grape jam (I prefer the jam) and three 10 oz. bottles chili sauce. Pour over meatballs and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Serve with toothpicks.

• Like 1

My mom used to (by implication) claim that the meatball recipe was her invention, until she gave me a Betty Crocker cookbook for a housewarming gift. There it was in black and white. And, yes, she had the same book in her cupboard.

Amadan's Faux Pho

(2) boneless chicken breasts (halves), cut into thin strips
(1-1/2) boxes of chicken broth
(1) small can bean sprouts, drained
(6) scallions, sliced (separate white sections, from green sections)
(1) 8oz package of rice noodles (vermicelli)
(1 or 2) whole chili peppers (variety & amount to taste) halved, seeds removed, cut into 1/4' slices
(4 oz) mushrooms (variety to taste), sliced
(1) handful fresh leaf spinach (whole leaf)
Curry powder (to taste)
Ginger (powder or minced fresh) (to taste)
Cilantro (to taste) minced
Soy sauce (to taste)
(1) fresh lime

Prepare the rice noodles, per package instructions, cold rinse & set aside.

In large pot add chicken broth, curry, ginger, cilantro, dash of soy sauce. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Now add green onion parts, mushrooms and chilies.

In stir-fry pan, med-hi temp, heat some oil, and add white onions sections. As onions begin to sizzle, add chicken, and dash of soy. Stir constantly.

When chicken is nearly browned, add spinach leaves & bean sprouts to broth mixture. Stir, until spinach wilts.

Add chicken to broth mixture. Stir.

Add rice noodles to broth mixture. Turn off heat. Gently stir, to meld flavors.

Serve in large bowls, squeeze lime juice to taste. Garnish with flatbread.

NOTE: shredded pork works well in this, too.

• Like 1

My mom used to (by implication) claim that the meatball recipe was her invention, until she gave me a Betty Crocker cookbook for a housewarming gift. There it was in black and white. And, yes, she had the same book in her cupboard.

I add adobo seasoning and sometimes sub a can or two of spicy enchilada sauce for a jar or two of of chili sauce