Riverkilt

Another Kilt Kit Review

There are a bunch of rigs out there for carrying your kilt and gear about. I own another one to too. But just got this rig from Order of the Gael. What impressed me right out of the box was QUALITY workmanship. I grew up in cut and sew and my minor in college was textiles. Everything about the workmanship and materials in this item is top quality. Even that yellow piping - difficult to sew well - is flawless.

001small-1.jpg

Size open (you can fold it in half for carry on) is 40" long, 22" wide, and 5" deep. Material is ballistic nylon. Zippers and "velcro" are heavy duty industrial strength stuff. One side is embroidered with a logo of your choice or your name. Yes, embroidered, not screen printed.

002small-1.jpg

The kit holds up to three kilts on Order of the Gael hangers - or any good hanger. There are three inside hanger hooks at the top so you can lay out the hangers three wide like this

007small-1.jpg

And yes, the Order of the Gael hangers also hold a Prince Charlie or other jacket and vest and neckties or kilt hose or garter ties....

Or you can stack the kilts three deep with the hangers coming out the usual hole in the top with a strong velcro strap to hold the three hangers together inside the kit.

008small-1.jpg

Underneath they have three large sporran pockets with a velcro strap to secure the sporrans in the pocket. They hold my L&M (bottom center), a standard sporran (top left) and my custom big buffalo sporran (top right). If you don't need three sporrans the extra sporran pocket can hold kilt hose, garter ties, flashes, whatever.

003small-1.jpg

009small.jpg

There are three velcro belt holders at the top. They could also hold a garter tie as above.

005small-1.jpg

At the bottom is a large zippered shoe bag. Its large enough to hold my Z Coils. It can also hold kilt hose, garter ties, or flashes.

There's even a small pouch on the side to hold the free cedar block Joe sends with his Kilt Kits. AND, he even sends a free luggage tag....well, its got his logo on one side, but its free.

Once its zipped up you can use the carry strap with shoulder pad either open, or doubled up and secured with side buckles for carry on.

You can also use it for closet storage to save space. Just hang it up with up to three kilts, three sporrans, ghillie brogues, etc to save space and be packed and ready to go.

If I remember right the price is about $100. I can easily see $100 worth of quality materials and workmanship in this Kilt Kit. Quality at a fair price = Value. And the quality of materials and workmanship means this won't suddenly come apart on you in the airport or a taxi.

• Like 2

And a recent update from a road trip using the Kilt Kit.

Finally went on a road trip - to Albuquerque - and was able to easily pack three hand sewn tanks in the Kilt Kit. The big bottom pocket was perfect for my portable steamer too. Folded up well so took less room in the back of the car yet when the bellman unloaded it he was able to easily hang it on the luggage cart. When I opened it up in my hotel room the kilts were fine after 7 hours of bouncing around on rez roads.
Just an update to let folks know it really works on the road too.

And, I forgot - a neat perk is the cedar block Joe includes with the Kilt Kit. There's a pocket for it on the inside. A nice touch.

I got one earlier this year. I have another brand of carrier (which I've had for years), but this one seems to do the job a lot better. To protect my investments I plan to buy one or two more with enough hangers to keep everything organized. Kilts can be large investments.

I have been looking for something like this for a while. Thanks for the review, will check it out later.

Got my second one last week, now I think I have enough hangers to organize my collection the way I want. And when I told my kid about it he thought it would be nice if good ole dad find one for him. Yeah I'll do it 'cause the wife was giving me the 'eye'.

Ron, thanks for this but more important, what's the dress tartan with the matching tie in pic #4 - it's a beauty!

No disrespect to Ron whatsoever but be careful with these, kilt kilts. Ron has had good luck I did not. Mine was pure junk. My wife provided me it as a gift just before we left for a trip to China.The hangers were really not all all well made and did not make it through the first leg of the trip without coming apart, and no they were not checked they were in the overheard. The way the bag folds also makes it very awkward to carry as it does not fold evenly. My wife was so upset about this, it still makes her emotional speaking about it. I also know she had issues with the order, and as I do not have the facts at hand, I will not comment further on that.

Kevin, that's the Antarctica tartan. Not a dress tartan. It is beautiful. Just sold it, of all places it went to Alaska. Tartan is designed by the United Kingdom Antarctic Heritage Trust and woven by D.C. Dalgliesh mills. I think the trust has a website you can google up.

Sean, sorry you had that problem. Hard to believe it was an Order of the Gael product. My kilt kit is top quality craftsmanship as are the 25 some hangers I've bought from them.