Sign in to follow this  
Whitesmoke

How I Make A Motorcycle Vest!

So the topic of a chainmaille motorcycle vest has been somewhat controversial on another forum I visit and I've always thought it was a great idea if properly implemented. The fact that any vest would turn into shrapnel if you crashed is one of the biggest deterrents, I think, in preventing people from making one. Also, it's a lot of work. So I pondered over the idea for a good long while and this is what I came up with. I took my harley vest and put a chainmaille vest over it. It's Jap 12-2, blackened stainless and regular stainless, 16G 5/16th's for the large rings, 18G 3/16th's for the smaller rings with a smattering of 16G 1/4" rings in various places throughout. The black leather cord that is attaching the chainmaille to the leather was bought at Tandy. The lacing on the sides was replaced with 12G 1/2" SS and 16G 1/4" byzantine strips. I still have to finish up the back as it doesn't hang correctly, and create holes for the pockets in the front but all in all it's wearable and finished. I have no idea how many rings I used or how much it weighs as I haven't had the chance or the motivation to count the rings or weight the vest and I have no idea how much the leather vest weighed in the first place. It is heavy, but it is pretty comfortable even after three or four hours. Someone has a picture of me wearing this and my Kilt at the Sherwood Renaissance Festival and as soon as I get it from them I'll post it.

Here is the unfinished piece, there was a ton of work once I had gotten this far but at this point I thought I was nearly finished. Man was I wrong.

20130216_193522_zpsc8b30813.jpg

Here was the back at this point, The straps required a complete redo as they didn't fit properly and dug into my shoulders something awful.

20130216_193606_zps895be5a0.jpg

Here is a closeup of the leather braiding attaching the chainmaille to the leather.

20130301_055234_zps56c2a0a7.jpg

Another closeup.

20130301_055242_zps95bc1c18.jpg

An image of the finished front sans pockets.

20130329_084222_zpsabe1f51d.jpg

An image of the byzantine strips attaching the sides.

20130329_084207_zps42f2ed65.jpg

And an image of the unfinished back.

20130329_084142_zps57fe47d9.jpg

Hey Whitesmoke, good to see you brother! That's sharp as, I like it! Hmmmm.... I wonder how I'd sew all the things I HAVE to sew on my cut onto one of them...

Very nice! J12-2 makes a pretty weave.

Raptor: you can sew patches onto it but I wouldnt recomment it! If I ever wreck again I want it to be in a shower of sparks, something akin to a plasma cutter!

Glaisne: yes it does!

Thanks for taking a look! Be on the lookout for my chainmaille sporran hopefully coming soon...if things go my way!

Awesome work.