Drac

Kilted Texan's Bowie

=) I'm ready, I'm ready, I'm ready ready ready!!!

But it IS nice to have a digital readout. Man using those made it a lot easier for me.....the backlash on the Bridgeport always got me going durrr durrr!

That is going to be one beautiful blade.... I have a uncle who makes knives in his spare time, never knew what processes were involved in completing a knife. I know have a better understanding and respect for custom knife makers... Thanks for sharing the process and photos...

are there any updates coming?

Once I get the stitches removed I will be back in the shop. Hopefully they pul them tomorrow.

Jim

Well, had to hold off on the step by step as I need to get this done. Here is where I am so far. This is still FAR from finished but it's now you can get an idea of how it's going to look.

Got to say some aspects haven't turned out as well as I pictured. The handle seems long for the ratio. Granted this is going on the idea that my hands are a great deal smaller and thinner than the average guy. This was also the first time turning a butt cap,

IMG_7499_zpsd7602be7.jpg

IMG_7501_zps69dda04b.jpg

Jim

• Like 1

I have thoroughly enjoyed this post. I am pretty good with a computer but pretty useless when it comes to the talent for work like this. I like seeing the attention to detail and pride you put into this Jim. Donnie and Scott with their sporrans, Paul Henry with kilts, Eric aka Kilted Carver (who I miss around here) and others have provided wonderful pictorials of their craftsmanship. Great job Jim (especially for a Navy guy :wink: )

Looks beautiful. And to my eyes prety complete, what all still needs doing? But I believe that is one of the finest knives I have seen.

Thanks.

Really can't see it at the top but it isn't a clean transition between the handle and spacer. It is a lot more in the bottom picture on the butt cap.

Still have to attach the handle, right now it is just held on by pressure from the butt cap. After that I have smooth the handle even with the spacer at the top. Then I have to put the butt cap on premently, shape it to the handle and handle to it.

Jim

That is one massive knife!

Looks great.

Looking forward to have that beautiful piece of steel

Fantastic work! I was going to post pics of my wee sgian dubh I made from an old file, I don't think it's worthy compared to this level of craftsmanship. :(

One, we all start somewhere. Trust me my forst knife was nothing to brag about.

Two, know one knows everything about anything. Very good chance you may have done something that people have never seen done.

Three, we want to see your work :thumleft:

Four, trust me when I say the people I look up to and learn from make my work look like slag.

Jim

Ok, I will post a thread tonight, stay tuned!

The handle is just beautiful, that is a true piece of art, my son is really fortunate to be getting such a great blade.

All done -

IMG_7598_zps260ca8b8.jpg

A bit of a close-up of the guard -

IMG_7599_zps639a664b.jpg

And a little showing of the edge -

IMG_7596_zps9da189a2.jpg

Granted, just a working edge but I'm sure it will cut things :D

Hope to have it in the mail in the next day or so as soon as I can figure out how to pack it.

Jim

Awesome

Got it in the mail today. The pictures are nice, but they don't do it justice. I am very happy with Jim's work and will be sending money shortly.

I am glad you like it.

As I told Kilted the blade wasn't well received on the blade forums. Basically I was told it was a decent excusion but a poor design. I guess a well done POS is still a POS in their opinions.

Kilted was kind enough to give me good feedback on what he liked and didn't like so I can make it better if I ever do another bowie. I was an interesting project and I learned a great deal. I picked up skills that will make future knifes even better and I am very thankful for Kilted's fath, petients and oppertunity to let me do this.

Jim

• Like 1

Ahhhh the eye of the beholder Jim, maybe from their point of view it wasn't good enough but I go with the customer. It seems that Kiltedtexan is super happy and he's the guy that you should please and you did.

I work in a plant where we make vans...yup vans. Now I'm in maintenance and we make our 'customers' happy first. Then comes our supervisor. Somebody whose not included really doesn't have much of a say if you catch my drift. Now what I CAN say is that the Bowie looked nice and heavy like that kind of knife should and I have several. From what I can see it looks pleasing to the eye as well. So I think you did a wonderful job.

Larry

The knife is very well balanced has a nice weight but isn't so heavy that it is uncomfortable to hold.