branmakmorn

After The Highlnd Games

After the Houston Highland games on Sunday my son and I stopped off for a bite to eat on the way home. As we were being seated the waitresses both commented on how much they liked the kilts and a young man whom I assume to be a waiter came up and shook our hands and thanked us for wearing our kilts, he told us he would wear his every day to work if they would let him.

Hey Bran,

Sorry I could not make it to the Highland Games. I was at my parents in Sugarland when the sky fell and they got 3in in less than 7 minutes (total of 6in of rain in one hour). The ground floor flooded so I ran about opening up the French drains outside and helping sweep out the water when the deluge receeded. Give us a report on the Games! How many bands? What did you wear? Beer tent! Beer tent! Glad to know the restaurant staff liked your kilts!

So sorry to hear about the flooding- from what I heard from Saturday it held off until just before the heavy events ended. Bands were mostly local-or at least Texas, Clandestine was the featured bands. I'm not sure how many pipe bands were there on Saturday but from what I heard the turn out was pretty good after being gone for 2 years. I decked out in my Macleod of Harris, BOTK t-shirt and beret with the Macleod pin, the shots of Kilted Texan is my son sporting his Lewis I am the voice you hear hollering in the mike. Beer was sold evidently in great quantities because at the end of the day the only thing not crossed out on the beer list was Modelo, go figure?? It was smaller than in years past but they are hoping since the turn out was pretty good that next year there will be some more vendors,better bands and more athletes. It really is too bad they quit because 3 years ago there were some world class athletes and several several world and personal records broken>Hopefully the word gets out and the vendors, bands and athletes start returning.

I think next games I will be attending will be in September at the Sherwood Forest Celtic Festival.

Or I might look at the TCAA Backyard Games. Have to do some research on those

There are games this weekend in Arlington.

I will be splitting my time between there and Celtic Weekend at Scarborough. The Ren Faire got a bit petty this year. Arlington moved back the Games since it is so d@mn hot that it was getting hard to enjoy being out. Scarby got ticked and decide to do a Celtic weekend the same weekend just to be spiteful.

Jim

How unsporting of them...