Sign in to follow this  
kiltedmoon

Captain America Accessories

This is my steampunk Captain America kilt pin. I have other pieces I made that I will upload later... as well as pics of the whole outfit. This is leather. I cut out the rings separately, dyed them, and put them together with barge cement.

2013-08-28170406.jpg

• Like 1

very cool...sounds like a kilt pin project :)

• Like 1

Very cool!

I also made red bracers, since you can't find actual gauntlets for less than the price of a small country.

2013-08-28201958.jpg

and the mask. This turned out better than I hoped, and better than it should have.

2013-08-28201908.jpg

and the side view. Can't be Cap without the wings... for some reason...

2013-08-28201931.jpg

I used the Tandy leather "steampunk goggles" pattern that is intended to make goggles to put on your hat I think.

The kilt pin actually happened because I screwed up one of the original bracers and had to make another one. Then I thought " I have leather that's dyed red already, what can I make out of it." Not bad for a last minute project. and when I say last minute... the adhesive holding the tie tacks to the back of the pin dried on the drive here.

Cool steampunk interests me but at 60 not sure how I would fit in.

I do the occasional steampunk and I'm 61. I don't care how I fit in, I do it anyway. :wink:

For the record, the times I've done it I seemed to fit in quite well.

Steampunk is pretty wide open, so no one really fits in... yet we all do. That's one of the things I like most about it. What steampunk is can vary from person to person or even from day to day. When I post pics of the complete outfit I'm sure some people will say "you don't have any gears, how can you be steampunk?" But I decided that Cap wouldn't wear gears or any of that, because he's all about action. So the steampunk elements are the leather pieces and the cap and kilt. It's about alternate history, and CA in the civil war is about as alternate as I need to be.

I'm 44 and I know people from 18 to 81 that steampunk, so don't let that hold you back. It's one of the most inclusive and open cosplay type genres that I've seen.

Here's our take on Steampunk Captain America, and Captainette Really had fun at DragonCon and we plan to go back next year.

2013-09-03223958.jpeg