KiltedTexan

Metal Engraving...

I have an idea for a display piece, and i was wondering if anybody here does engravings or know anyone that does a good job the can recommend?

How complicated are you talking? I know some amazing knife engravers but you would be paying premium for them.

Jim

all i am wanting is to find a nice shiny broad sword, active blade not required, and want to get Eph. 6:10-20 the Armor of God engraved. Simple enough.

Hmm, main issue the blade it's self. If it is either plated (common is show pieces) or hardened (even cheap steels are hardened) than most knife engravers wouldn't be able to do it.

If it were on another part of the sword, maybe the hilt? Got a pick?

Jim

i dont have the blade yet, will be shopping for one at ren fest.

Hmmmm. How about having it etched? It could be an issue with bubbling on a chromed blade, but hardened steel would be ok.

Acid etching can work and you can get some beautiful detail with it. Unfortunately the only person I know who does acid is in Spain :D

Jim

Here is an idea of how it's done -

Jim

Doing the high detailed etching work means silk screens & some tricky blocking out, but if you're only after some script & you're half handy artistically you can get acceptable results yourself with circuit board resist & a sharp stylus.

Doing the high detailed etching work means silk screens & some tricky blocking out, but if you're only after some script & you're half handy artistically you can get acceptable results yourself with circuit board resist & a sharp stylus.

That is basically what Antonio is doing above. Big issue is if the blade is stainless (most common used in costume pieces) ferric chloric won't work on it. You have to use muriatic acid at a minimum, most use a blend of two acids, nitric and muriatic (which is just 50/50 hydrochloric) acid but please research if you are going to use that blended, it is VERY dangerous!!!

Jim

• Like 1

What about laser engraving ?. I had several pieces on my Valkyrie that were done that way.

What about laser engraving ?. I had several pieces on my Valkyrie that were done that way.

I'd forgotten about that. Not used much in the custom knife field but is used a lot in the promotional products field (Amy works in the field) and they normally can do anything and normally really cheap compared to custom work.

Jim