branmakmorn

Older Strength Athlete

Getting old SUX. I had to take a day off Friday to go to the Dr. Ended getting 2 different cortizone shots for my knees and they still hurt, just not as bad. Any advice out there, I have always been active and in my younger days was a power lifter. Now it's hard to keep a string of work outs going.

Your not going to like it... But i was having knee pain a number of years ago , and the Gentleman that owned the B-17 I volunteered on told me to take it easy on the knees and take glucosimine and condroindtant. I forget the dose.. he said take it regularly and it would help..

We called him DOC , because he was a D.O. and had his own practice.

it did help.

forgive the spelling . I don't think spell check does them.

Look into Cissus Quadrangularis - it is an herbal supplement that has been used for centuries that helps with joint pain and inflammation. I take Super Cissus - http://www.zupplements.com/products/supercissus.html - and I like it because it is quick and easy. You can also get it in powder form from TrueNutrition.com - it tastes kind of like tea if you mix it with warm water.

I usually recommend that and the glucosamine/chondroitin that cb750kman recommended, give that a try and you should notice some improvement - it takes a few weeks though.

• Like 1

:nod1: The X rays showed my left knee is bone on bone (on the outside), right now it's not too painful but there are days. Just a reminder from playing football and doing other stupid stuff. Like everyone has heard before "if I'd known I'd live this long I would have taken better care of myself!"

• Like 1

I like Formutechs version,

http://www.amazon.com/Formutech-Nutrition-Flexible-Joint-Formula/dp/B008LE9R1A

http://formutechnutrition.com/products/flexible/

Serving Size: 4 Capsules Servings per Bottle: 60 or 20 Amt. per Serving %DV* Glucosamine Sulfate 750 mg ** Chondroitin Sulfate 600 mg ** MSM 750 mg ** (Methylsulfonylmethane) Hyaluronic Acid 100 mg ** Cissus Quadrangularis Extract (40%) 1,000 mg **

Edited by Sathor

Look into Cissus Quadrangularis - it is an herbal supplement that has been used for centuries that helps with joint pain and inflammation. I take Super Cissus - http://www.zupplements.com/products/supercissus.html - and I like it because it is quick and easy. You can also get it in powder form from TrueNutrition.com - it tastes kind of like tea if you mix it with warm water.

I usually recommend that and the glucosamine/chondroitin that cb750kman recommended, give that a try and you should notice some improvement - it takes a few weeks though.

Hey thanks for the info-I will check the local herb shop asap. I am also doubling up on my fish oil and glucosomine. That is supposed to help with inflammation. Went into the gym for the first time in a week and a half. Did a light leg workout. I was pleased to find I haven't lost a lot of strength-just stamina. I'll check out you website to see if I can gain any wisdom there. Thanks.

:nod1: The X rays showed my left knee is bone on bone (on the outside), right now it's not too painful but there are days. Just a reminder from playing football and doing other stupid stuff. Like everyone has heard before "if I'd known I'd live this long I would have taken better care of myself!"

Me too. My x-rays showed no joint damage -just "a little arthritus. Normal for someone of your age." Don't you hate it when that phrase enters the conversation.

Me too. My x-rays showed no joint damage -just "a little arthritus. Normal for someone of your age." Don't you hate it when that phrase enters the conversation.

Ugh, yes.

What gets me, is when a medical practitioner acts incredulous at good stats, insinuating I found some magic loophole, or am cheating the system.

Gee, couldn't they simply be happy I'm actively working upon improving my health? LOL

I learned long ago never to say "for a person your age" to a patient - there are much more tactful ways to say "when you have a lot of birthdays, things start falling apart". :laughing:

I'm 56 and like a good workout. it's not my knees, it's my elbow that bothers me and when I am doing 110# presses I try to change not just the way I lift but use my biceps more, it's hard to explain, but works for me. I just have to concentrate more on the way I do things.