Sign in to follow this  
runewolf

Advise On Making A Sgian Dubh Using Deer Antler

Hey guys, this will be my first attempt to make my own sgian dubh (or really any knife lol). I had luck this year getting what I thought was going to be an 8 point buck, until I got up to it found that one side was broken off. What is left looks very nice to me and I immediately thought of try to make a knife out of it. I've found a few kits out there with blade, sheath and bog wood for the handle that are withing my price range for a project that I may screw up lol. Specifically, one of these: http://www.lochnessorigins.com/sgian-dubh-kits/ I'm courious about if I need to stabilize the antler with wood hardener or some sort of other material. If I do, do I do that before I drill the hole for the blade? What glue or epoxy would you recommend for setting the blade? If I like how it is looking, how hard is it to add a sterling silver fitting like they offer here: http://www.lochnessorigins.com/sgian-dubh-fittings/ ? What is the best way of determining the size fitting to order?

I know lots of questions, but very excited for this opportunity that fell in my lap lol.

Pics of the antler in question :)

98A4597D-8AF7-4023-88EE-DD70AB9235E3.jpg

AD090538-18AE-47F6-8B8C-612085C248D9.jpg

I've never found it necessary to stabilise antler (as long as your shaping doesn't dig into the porous inner area) Antler shapes just fine with a file, sander or dremel, but work slowly & ALWAYS wear a mask. From the look of that antler, you'll need to remove a lot of antler to fit one of those ferrules, risking leaving it a bit unstable around that area. Have you considered making your own out of brass sheet? It solders easy & looks good polished up. For glue go with a good quality 2 pack epoxy, & avoid the "quick-set" variety. Glue it, clamp it, & leave it alone for 24 hours.

I should have put a quarter or something for size reference in the picture. The antler is about an inch wide x half an inch or so wide. No I hadn't thought about making my own ferrule, I honestly don't know that I could make one that doesn't look like crap, I'm way better at destroying things lol. I didn't know if it would be necessary to stabilize or not knowing that it was harvested this year. I'm hoping not to shape it much at all other than removing an inch from the smaller end and sanding the base smooth so I can burn a design into it or find a stone to embed.

OK, if you dont plan on shaping it, dont bother with the ferrule, as you'll need to file the antler down into quite a narrow oval to fit into it, which then leaves the issue of shaping the rest of it to blend in.