GrainReaper

Planning My New Sgian Dubh Project

I have a new project!

The back story is this, as a child spending my summers wandering about the northwoods of Wisconsin at the family cabin I spent hours in the lake swimming and floating on an inner tube.

About July 1985 my mother says "it's storming pretty bad out, you better go get that inner tube off the pier before it blows away and you lose it forever" so off I go in a thunderstorm to fetch the tube and put it in the garage. (Can you guess where this is going?)

Fast forward to the hospital a week later..

I have a bad headache and rather crispy feeling legs. The doctor says I received a forked leg from a lightning bolt, the bolt itself hit a tree at the foot of the pier and spared me the direct shot that would surely have killed me, I say a quick thanks to the big guy for sparing me.

Two years later, same tube, same pier, same weather coming in, same mom yelling to put stuff away before it blows away. (Notice a pattern?)

I make it to the garage out back and get things put away, I make it a few steps towards the cabin and wham, another tree struck, I'm thrown back into the garage as the light bulbs all explode and everything goes vividly blue.

I'm there in a hospital bed, bad headache and I smell like burnt hair, my everything hurts like a bad sunburn. My prayer went something like this.... "Ok God, stop it, this sucks"

The tree that was feet away from the garage had the top blown off but somehow survived. I have a few chunks from the top of that tree stashed away in my garage.

So here is my plan..... lightning-struck wood used for the handle, I cast a sterling silver hilt using the lost wax process, the hilt will be in the shape and style of Thor's hammer of Norse legend, and a blade of new tool steel or another antique file of known quality. The pommel I'm still unsure of, maybe no pommel at all..

So there you have it, a handle of lightning-struck wood, the hilt a representation of the Norse god of thunder and lightning. I'm sure this project will take a long time because I need to build a centrifuge to cast the silver pommel and I will need a crucible to melt the silver in.

Here is a quick sketch I did this morning to flesh out the idea.

2774A81C-A553-486C-B1C6-05F46FA30559.jpg

always like weapons with a story, and that one has a doozie. Glad you survived your mother, lol. Like the design too. I'm partial to thor's hammers, so this looks great.

Nice.

If you'd like let me check, I may have some casting pieces left from an older project. I did some sand casting a while back and I may still have not only those pieces but also the crucible and carbon stick. They aren't doing anything productive in the shop so I can send them your way. Depending on how much jewelry training you've had you can get a really nice casting out of sand and since it is a flat back for the bolster it could save you the cost of the centrifuge.

Jim

thank you Drac! I might take you up on that offer! I was planning on a one piece cast hilt that would have a full wrap around similar to a ring in its design, but logistics may change that concept.

Man y'all have all the talent.

AWESOME story bro & will definitely be a sweet blade.

Great concept, I'm really partial to images of Mjonir. A mate of mine was a jeweler & he made his own centrifuge out of an old record player. Maybe an idea you could play with...

• Like 1

Great concept, I'm really partial to images of Mjonir. A mate of mine was a jeweler & he made his own centrifuge out of an old record player. Maybe an idea you could play with...

I might have access to a centrifuge, but a wound spring type setup with counter balance and contained in a metal wash tub shouldn't be tough to rig up. My wonder is if a toaster oven can clear a poured plaster lost wax mold.

I agree with Raptor on the Mjölnir but I am bias that way.

As for the toaster oven it would depend on your material. Pewter maybe (330-450F) but silver (960F) you would be pushing it. A 300+ temp difference between the normal max of 500-600F and the silver and you are asking for an explosion. Brass and copper would be even worse.

If you do lost wax though and can get the right temps you might concider steam casting. That is what we learned in jewerly in high school.

Jim