Drac

Cribbage Board

Hello all,

Trying to make my Dad a Father's Day gift. Got the wood from the USS Constitution on my last "2 weeks a year" training. They made a deal with me. I get a very large board, well above the normal scrap I was allowed to work with. In exchange I was going to send them the template so they could make some more for crew visitor gifts.

I wanted to keep as much of the board as possible to let my Dad know where it was from. After all a sanded board looks like any other. Unfortunately when I drilled the holes in the paint you really couldn't see them. Kind of important for a cribbage board. So I had to sand it down somewhat. The slot cover for the pins is also from the USS Constitution, it's copper from the powder room I got on a previous trip out there -

Cribbage_zpse929587a.jpg

Hoping he likes it...

Jim

• Like 1

Wait, you made your pops a cribbage board from a chunk of Old Ironsides herself?

That may be the most amazing gift a dad can get!

How do you top a gift like that? A letter opener made from a wing spar from the Enola Gay? An ash tray made from an Apollo 11 capsule component? :D

Or maybe some tobacco from the Lewis and Clark Expedition......or one of the lead kegs that they kept their powder in. But I agree a pretty cool gift to your Dad Jim.

Thanks guys.

Or maybe some tobacco from the Lewis and Clark Expedition......or one of the lead kegs that they kept their powder in. But I agree a pretty cool gift to your Dad Jim.

The Lewis and Clark Expedition is a bit of a touchy point in several ways with my family. The "legend" has it that we are a decendant of George's half brother and relate to James Pierre (a hero of the Battle of Chattanooga) but when I tried tracing it out it wasn't quite jiving. I'm keeping my mouth shut around the family, one person questioned it once and there has been a cold silence between a couple since.

Also we have a very strong Native American heritage. Since moving out here to the West I keep my last name to myself when attending cerimonies as they don't view George Drouillard in a good light even though he was half Native American since he was part of the expedition that opened the West to the White Man and the slaughter and displacement of the tribes. Had one man spit at me, I hope he was meaning my feet but either way he wasn't happy to meet me. Many get rather chilly if the learn my last name. The 150th anniversary and large number of books about George has made a lot more people aware of him.

Jim

• Like 1

I went through the training for the re-enactment a few years ago. Plans for going on the trip fell through, but I played one of the French Engaugees (boat handlers.....) all of whom returned to St. Charles after they camped that first winter at Fort Mandan. The boat house is here which houses the replicas of the boats used on the trip it is where we have Tartan Day and well worth seeing.

Myself, I am 1/8 Cherokee (on my Mom's side) and they were French....the name is Parlier.

Larry

that's a cool piece Jim. My grandad would have approved. He had us playing cribbage as soon as we could count

that's a cool piece Jim. My grandad would have approved. He had us playing cribbage as soon as we could count

That's funny as I have no idea how to play :D My Dad never taught me. Probably because we think so differently that anytime he tried to play any card game with me he would end up royally pissed off at how I play.

Jim