Drac

A New Hobby

Hello all,

As I said in another post I enjoyed doing the wood working on my last duty. So I decided to add some new tools to the shop slowly. The first was a wood lathe to turn those piece of USS Constitution wood.

Well got it setup and threw together 3 pens -

Pens01_zps2e225192.jpg

The purple one is for Amy (got to keep her happy about the new hobby), the bullet one is for a friend using a stave from a Jim Bean barrel and the last one is bog oak.

Not too bad for a first attempt.

Jim

• Like 1

You are a true craftsman.

I say very well done for your first attempt.

Wow, there truly is no end to your skills and talent!

I wonder what you have planned next....

Thanks guys.

Basic pens, so far, seem to have a quick learning curve but the details are kicking me already. The bullet one I was a little off on the meeting of the barrel and parts. About a hair big but noticeable. The bog oak chipped a bit near the end, you can see the wax build up. The purple one was a hair small and chipped as well.

Not to bad for a first attempt I hope since none of them exploded or were gouged horribly while turning :rolleyes: and unlike knives I didn't bleed while making them :lol:

I hope to get them nicer and work my way up to pepper mills and such. One of the long range goals is to get good enough to make a quillon dagger for Amy's Ren gear.

Jim

My Good Man don't you do enough already knives,candy,cooking and working how on earth do find time for all of these.

You should see my embroidery and lace :D

I have an ability to pick up the basics of things fairly easy but rarely go beyond that as I suffer from A.D.O.S. attention deficit oooohhhh shinyyyy. I flit between hobbies. Also add into that I work a job I can leave behind me, work overtime only when I wish too, have no kids and a wife that is a partner (a long suffering one mind you) that picks up for my weak areas and you have a recipe for exploring new stuff for fun.

Jim

I work OT when I want as well and my hobbies work for me, but you have them making cash for you Jim, oh and very nice.

That bog oak pen looks shabby, please send it to me for disposal.

I shall PM you my address, the sooner you send it the quicker I can properly dispose of it and be rid of that bit of pestilence

Thanks all.

I work OT when I want as well and my hobbies work for me, but you have them making cash for you Jim, oh and very nice.

Just looking to have some fun. It will be a while before I sell turnings if ever.

That bog oak pen looks shabby, please send it to me for disposal.

I shall PM you my address, the sooner you send it the quicker I can properly dispose of it and be rid of that bit of pestilence

My appologies, I already gave the sorry piece to a co-worker.

Jim

You do some fine work, and I am constantly going back to view your work repeatedly and using them as inspiration for my own endeavors.

Next set -

PensSlim01_zps648fd8f2.jpg

These are some Texas ebony, lace oak and black & white ebony.

Getting a little better each time.

Jim

Hello all,

I don't remember where I saw how to do this but I thought I'd give it a try. It is purple heart and ebony -

Celticknot01_zps6981b1fc.jpg

It's not as even as I'd like it but I definitely will try more in the future.

Jim

LOL! How many hobbies do you need, Jim?! :D

These look great.

Hello all,

Had some fun this weekend, mine is Fri & Sat. Had the time and parts so tried what I could. Had a few failures including a couple blow outs but all in all was fairly fun -

weekend01_zpsf3fcb30e.jpg

One major lesson learned, don't try to turn mother of pearl. That didn't work out to well. I got it done (the bog oak with the white strip) but it dulled the tools in seconds.

A few of them are gifts, some are requests from friends and co-workers. Got a mix of stabilized woods, some reclaimed wood and standard turning blanks. I got the USS Constitution wood back from the processor so had to do a couple of them.

Jim

Not just pens -

Shavingbrush01_zps7dde3c68.jpg

Put this together with basic parts. The brush is the base badger model but feels nice. The handle is some cherry I got on clearence. It's going to head out a gent to try out to see how well it works. If it's nice I'll try some other nice pieces.

Jim

Where did you source your knot? I have a nice handle I turned on my brothers lathe. I need a knot just haven't figured out the sourcing, or what finish to use that would be good for the conditions it's put in.

Oh.... Do you EVER sleep? Or just endlessly churn out cool sh!t?

I work S-Th so since Amy work M-F I have to keep myself busy on Fridays :D Turning lets me go in and out of the garage (which is getting rather warm) rather then spend the time continously in the garge like making knives.

Though what do you think of this -

Cigarcase01_zpseb0a6cc6.jpg

With a filling -

Cigarcase02_zpsfaaaf9d4.jpg

Funny that the pen style is actually called a cigar -

Cigar01_zpsa15ce2e2.jpg

Jim

• Like 1

That is a damned fine holder, cedar lined? Or was it for that pen all along

Brass lined. It does have an O-ring to act as a humador. I think I will hold off at making another for a while. It was fairly difficult and didn't finish as well as I wanted. Will practice alot more before coming back to it.

I just made the cigar pen out of walnut as it looked rather nice and classic for a first time making that style.

BTW I got the knot at http://www.pennstateind.com/store/shaving-kits.html

Those these are rather entry level. You can get some higher end ones here - http://thegoldennib.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=9&zenid=1b9e409fe9778b5a838ee0582f78f131

Jim

I'm liking the silver tip knots, time to go dig out the handle and measure it up, maybe I can post a pic here so you can see what a real amateur job looks like, all rough and stuff..... :D

Dude, I've only turned a few pens and now the case and brush. That's still amateur :wink:

Jim

But your skill set is faaaaar above amateur. I have seen your level of workmanship in galleries

Here's mine, been sitting unfinished for a few years in a bathroom drawer with misc shaving tidbits.

It's waxed, but I think the hot water and shave soap will tear it up.

2215D1CF-2170-4E61-920E-DE530EE23C5B.jpg